Looking for a MIDI transpose tool for drums

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi thanks for your help.

I have some existing songs with GM MIDI drums, but unfortunately Softube Heartbeat does not retain its MIDI trigger note settings when running through presets. Manually transposing notes within the MIDI is out of the question as sometimes I need to keep a certain Heartbeat preset, but browse through a folder of MIDI drum patterns.
So I'm looking for a tool that can accept GM MIDI, and transpose a few of the notes, for example I think the closed and open hats on Heartbeat are E and F, so I'd need for the F# and A# to be transposed to those notes.

Anybody know of a simple third-party VSTi that will do a transposed MIDI thru like this? For OSX

cheers
Last edited by sqigls on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Maybe your DAW can do it? Cubase has something called transformer for instance https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... mer_c.html

thank you mixtur.se!
I am a Cubase user, but i forgot to say, some ideas need to be thrown around in Ableton Live before they get to Cubase, so if i can find a third-party VSTi i might be able to keep up a faster workflow moving between the two DAWs.

thanks again for your reply :)

ah yes, EDIT again, my bad... for OSX

Midi FX Scripter in Logic can do this and much more...

https://trackbout.com/ripchord

Just use single notes for outputs rather than chords.

i don't think it works with a drum kit playing?
i loaded it up earlier today but i don't think i can transpose F# and A# to E and F respectively.

Insert Piz Here had some tools to do that (MIDINoteMap or MIDITranspose). Unfortunately the Piz site is down and I'm not sure if the developers wants us to share his great work.
There are some people offering archived downloads around the net though (e.g. https://www.paulcecchettimusic.com/piz- ... oad-links/).

I forgot that Ripchord probably won't handle simultaneous notes*. You may have to opt for something like Bidule which has a multi note remapper in it. Although the standalone is free, the plug-in is paid for.

Your other option is to use a Drum or Instrument Rack in Live and a transformer in Cubase and just live with the fact you need to set up two mappers. With the Instrument Rack you set up chains for notes you need to remap and add a Pitch (shift) MIDI FX to each of them, with separate chains for the pass-throughs. If you set up chains for everything you get the bonus of being able to have the names show up in clips. The Drum Rack takes a bit of routing prowess to work with a single Heartbeat plugin. D16 has some examples for their plugins that you should be able to repurpose.

InsertPizHere MIDI plugs are Windows-only I think.

* EDIT: I just tried the new version (v2 out last week). The update handles simultaneous input notes just fine, so I'm not sure what the issue is with drum kits. I tried out a quick mapping and it seemed to work fine. But you do need to set each mapping up individually as its own "chord". Other unmapped notes will pass through.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:30 amInsertPizHere MIDI plugs are Windows-only I think.
Sorry, you are right. I missed the OSX part. :dog:

Here's a preset for Ripchord that maps GM to the default Heartbeat preset. Snare and Closed Hat are mapped twice to account for Electric Snare and Pedal Hat and the second kick to B0 so most GM files should play (in principle).

I'd upload it to the community presets but Trackbout wants to keep those for song chords, I believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I have os x versions of InsertPizHere here. I think I found the link somewhere at KVR... Though Ripchord might be the best solution for this, pizmidi is indispensable...

Edit, here it is: https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:30 am Your other option is to use a Drum or Instrument Rack in Live and a transformer in Cubase and just live with the fact you need to set up two mappers. With the Instrument Rack you set up chains for notes you need to remap and add a Pitch (shift) MIDI FX to each of them, with separate chains for the pass-throughs. If you set up chains for everything you get the bonus of being able to have the names show up in clips. The Drum Rack takes a bit of routing prowess to work with a single Heartbeat plugin. D16 has some examples for their plugins that you should be able to repurpose.
I was going to post something similar. Also, if the issue is that all drum notes need to be transposed by the same amount, a single Ableton Pitch module is all you need; you can do more complicated mappings with the Scale module too.

Return to “Instruments”