reverb effect comparable to strymon big sky (particularly the shimmer)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Blackhole has no "shimmer" at all IMO, it's a very smooth reverb (though you can dial some unreal modulation with it).
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

[Delete]
Last edited by ijiwaru on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halonmusic wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:14 pm
CapnLockheed wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:43 pm
pandashake wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:52 pm Shimmer from Vahalla would be an obvious choice. Sounds better than the Strymon.
Well...I agree with the first part of that. Valhalla is my go to VST shimverb. But better than the Strymon? Really?? So you've actually A/B'd them?
Its obviously not better than the strymon
miloszz wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:59 pm Strymon isn't the end-all of shimmer - even in pedal form I'll take the Specular Tempus or Mercury 7, Strymon is less lively to me.
I absolutely love my Big Sky, and have recorded/released a metric f*ck ton of songs with both it and Valhalla Shimmer, and Valhalla wins for me hands down.

And ditto on the Mercury 7, but there are a lot of other pedals I could spend my $$$ on from a practical standpoint.

Two reverbs that have replaced a big chunk of my strymon's duties have been Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven Professional and Relab Sonsig Rev-A (neither of those shimmer, but the Sonsig can come close to a drone by tweaking the character and ensemble settings).

Kuassa's Effektor pedal plugins Reverb has a shimmer algo mode that gets the closest to Valhalla Shimmer or Strymon's shimmer pitch octave modes. It has very limited control tweaks but it does the job well for being limited to what sounds like an octave up.

I'd love to see them (or someone else) offer up a more full expansive studio rack version of this reverb, even just one that focuses on the shimmer mode alone with control for different pitch octave modes, and maybe the ability to add other effects to the reverbs decay path, like you'd have in a modular delay that has feedback path effect inserts. Something like that would be the ultimate psychedelic ambient drone scifi atmosphere generator. Something like the ability to have an effect or effects sequencer kick on like 3 seconds into the decay and last for 1-2 secs and turn off etc :o

It definitely looks like Audiority Xenoverb was meant to have the same layout and similar modes as Big sky. Reverb type selector with lots of variety and then 8 knobs to adjust them.

swartzfeger wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:21 am
Halonmusic wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:14 pm
CapnLockheed wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:43 pm
pandashake wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:52 pm Shimmer from Vahalla would be an obvious choice. Sounds better than the Strymon.
Well...I agree with the first part of that. Valhalla is my go to VST shimverb. But better than the Strymon? Really?? So you've actually A/B'd them?
Its obviously not better than the strymon
miloszz wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:59 pm Strymon isn't the end-all of shimmer - even in pedal form I'll take the Specular Tempus or Mercury 7, Strymon is less lively to me.
I absolutely love my Big Sky, and have recorded/released a metric f*ck ton of songs with both it and Valhalla Shimmer, and Valhalla wins for me hands down.

And ditto on the Mercury 7, but there are a lot of other pedals I could spend my $$$ on from a practical standpoint.

Two reverbs that have replaced a big chunk of my strymon's duties have been Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven Professional and Relab Sonsig Rev-A (neither of those shimmer, but the Sonsig can come close to a drone by tweaking the character and ensemble settings).
Have you tried Audiority Xenoverb? Great shimmer mode in that.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Toneboosters Reverb 4.

Return to “Effects”