16GB or 32GB of ram?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think i only have 4gb ram.... never had a problem, but you know what they say...

-nko- wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:27 pm 64GB.

:party:
Naaah... a new Mac Pro can take 1,5TB memory so why limit yourself with 64GB? :wink:
No signature here!

why limit yourself to a mac :hihi:

16 GB. The choice of champions.

Oh, I already wrote that. I'm sorry.

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:47 pm 16 GB. The choice of champions.

Oh, I already wrote that. I'm sorry.
No you didn't... :P
chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:38 pm 16 GB is the choice of kings.
New day... new status :shrug:

I have 32 GB of ram, but my last computer only had 8 GB and that was fine.

Come to think of it, originally it only had 4 GB and that was never an issue either.

My first computer was an Atari ST upgraded to a massive 2 MEGABYTES of ram (yeah, MEG, not GB).

Not forgetting the 20 MEG hardrive. :lol:

toonertik wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:50 pm New day... new status :shrug:
:tu:

I have 8gb of ram, it's not enough, I upgrade to 16gb and be like "omg I have all the ram I'll ever need!!!!!". Couple of months later I have 16gb of ram and it's not enough. Later I upgrade to 32gb of ram and be like "omg I have all the ram I'll ever need!!!!!" but soon I notice that it's not enough and I start to look for upgrade.

I hope to build a new PC and I think I'll go with 16GB. I know that some people say to just save for a bit longer but I find that most of my money really just funnels to our kids one way or the other. Real savings are tucked away for family vacations etc.

Thanks for all the responses.

sluggo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:54 pm I hope to build a new PC and I think I'll go with 16GB. I know that some people say to just save for a bit longer but I find that most of my money really just funnels to our kids one way or the other. Real savings are tucked away for family vacations etc.

Thanks for all the responses.
You can buy a 16gb memory module now and another later.. Just stay away from those 2x8gb bundles ;)

I think 16GB is a good amount unless you are doing something out of the ordinary. Huge sample based playback or use only many multiple instances of VSTi's that take circa 150-200MB of RAM per instance like Lu-SH-101 and a few others. There are a couple of others but I cannot recall what they were. I think Massive X takes a fair bit if I recall correctly. Quite often it is when you have the GUI's at full size, they seem to take less RAM when smaller.

I regularly run 150 track Cubase projects and have never run out of memory on a 64bit system.
So with 16 tracks you should have quite a margin of headroom available.

It's not about how cheap ram is or how easy it is for some to sacrifice for ram THEY MAY NOT NEED....

Surely OP can tell for himself if he NEEDS more than 16GB of ram. All the rest is noise from people who don't know his situation.

OP, are you hitting the wall memory-wise? (It doesn't sound like it).

Personally, I'm on a 7-year old system with 16GB of ram, and I've never come close to hitting the wall. If I'm going to spend $80 on my music production I can think of a dozen other things than ram I don't need at all...

flugel45 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:50 pm It's not about how cheap ram is or how easy it is for some to sacrifice for ram THEY MAY NOT NEED....

Surely OP can tell for himself if he NEEDS more than 16GB of ram. All the rest is noise from people who don't know his situation.

OP, are you hitting the wall memory-wise? (It doesn't sound like it).

Personally, I'm on a 7-year old system with 16GB of ram, and I've never come close to hitting the wall. If I'm going to spend $80 on my music production I can think of a dozen other things than ram I don't need at all...
Yeah, it looks like I'm going to be ok with 16GB. Just setting up my new rig this evening. One hiccup: my NI Audio 8 DJ interface was fine with my win10 notebook, but now that I have it installed on my new PC there is a ton of noise coming out. I have no idea why.

Sounds like it is possibly a grounding/earth loop issue, try balanced connections all through your system initially and take the trouble shooting from there. Can be tricky to track and resolve but if you are methodical it should be possible.

Is the noise coming out of the HP socket with no other audio connections to your card ? If so then that is a bit more problematic and it can possibly be noise being picked up from the chassis ground from a poorly designed switch mode PSU.

It’s a pretty simple signal path, I’m just running rca to 1/4 cables directly from out1/2 to my monitors. Same noise in the other outs as well. I swapped in my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and there isn’t any noise.

The audio 8 doesn’t have balanced outputs. I’ve used the audio 8 with two different notebooks but when I did that, the outs went to a mixer before going to my monitors. I don’t recall hearing noise then. I wonder if the noise was always there but my mixer was filtering it - the master volume on the mixer was typically down around 2 or 3 so any noise would be attenuated. Without the mixer, I don’t know if the noise would be attenuated with the software volume control.

I’m hoping to use the audio 8 because it has 4 pairs of inputs.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”