"I don't have much money so can I have your plugin for free?"

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
CrystalWizard
KVRian
1124 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbit Sol III

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:17 pm

For a great soundbank, for some excellent publicity, for some coding help, there’s what i consider good reasons but they are all trades, something for something. I’ve sunken to the “starving artist” level but have considered releasing some free soundsets/patches, etc. Then after displaying some talent and drive asking to trade my services. I agree with TJ though that when in a deep, creative streak i wouldn’t have more time for such thing. On a ‘roll’ taking time to even eat is a distraction. At least back in history a bit, some artists had the patronage of the overlords. In the late 50s-early 70s some musicians could make money through their talent. Now music is just background noise or dance stimuli to most people (it seems to me.)
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

BertKoor
KVRAF
11565 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Re: "I don't have much money so can I have your plugin for free?"

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:19 pm

You don't need to be starving, nice pro level art can be created from free materials. Only bad craftsmen blame their tools.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

dune_rave
KVRAF
1573 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:27 pm

there are tons of free stuff: plugin synths and effects, sample libraries and samples, even free wave editors and daws exist.
so its interesting someone writes an email to request a plugin for free... what plugin has concrete price that should be payed. or you should wait for a discount, or buy sec.hand...
Plus there are new forms of buying, like subscriptions, so if i wanted, i can have all the kilohearts stuff for monthly 10 eur.

CrystalWizard
KVRian

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:26 pm

Yes, it is true that there are many awesome free tools available (especially if you are on a 32bit DAW) and if i hadn’t purchased so many excellent tools when i did i would be using them. That said i don’t know of much freeware that can replace my favorites. Of course, if i didn’t have the tools i have it would narrow my choices by necessity which might be an advantage to actually getting things finished.

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3910 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:15 pm

Fender19 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:34 pm
Every once in a while I receive email from a "starving artist" asking for a free copy of my plugins. I usually reply with an offer like, "if I provide a free copy can you help promote with a blog or video in return"? Usually we work something out and everyone is happy.

Today's reply was "No, I don't have time to do that".

Hmm. I don't want to be a d!ck but I can't give out free copies to anyone who asks - that would not be fair to everyone else who has paid for it - or to me who has spent hundreds of hours developing it.

How would you respond to this?
They sound quite self-absorbed - I would ignore them, or give them a ripping growl on how entitled they're behaving.

CrystalWizard
KVRian

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:54 pm

metamorphosis wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:15 pm
Fender19 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:34 pm
Every once in a while...
of hours developing it.

How would you respond to this?
They sound quite self-absorbed - I would ignore them, or give them a ripping growl on how entitled they're behaving.
:D

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”