What are some soft synths with preset morphing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Biotek 2.

"The Biotek 2 Ring is a pad controller
which lets you drastically change the
selected Instrument. Use the orange pad
controller to freely move it in X and Y
axis. Based on the assigned synthesis
parameters, the Biotek 2 Ring can
produce subtle sound changes as well as
extreme morphings."

https://youtu.be/u37RW6s8m4k
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Is there a reason it's not more common (not in the big-name synths I think of)? Does it tend to sound bad? In the ones you have all tried, how was the sound transition sounding?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

2nd Sense Wiggle. £14.60 / $19.00 at PIB.
Most of Wiggle’s parameters can be captured as a “snapshot”. You can take up to 4 snapshots of the sound you’re working on and morph between them smoothly, either manually or automatically.
Current freebie with order: AAS Player and your choice of two Applied Acoustics preset packs.

@dirtgrain: I've no idea, and in Minimonsta the morphing sounds great to me. Likewise for Alchemy and Cameleon.

Morf is a wrapper that let's you morph presets in realtime for any VST synth -- provided you can get it to run in Morf. Roughly half the plugins in my library work properly with the wrapper. Morf does not support multi-out (so no drum machine vsts).

https://sourceforge.net/projects/morf-wrapper/

I enjoy using Morf with Tone2 and Native Instruments plugins (FM8 and Massive are fantastic in it). Also lightweight, free VSTs tend to work more smoothly in Morf than fancy/clunky plugins do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:13 pm Is there a reason it's not more common (not in the big-name synths I think of)? Does it tend to sound bad? In the ones you have all tried, how was the sound transition sounding?
It really depends on the two presets and how they are constructed. The more similar they are in construction the better the morph in general.

Also depends on what parameters sound like when they are changed. You can imagine what a lowpass filter morphing sounds like, but what about filter FM? You can imagine a triangle morphing into a sawtooth, but what if they are being phase modulated by another oscillator that is also morphing and are in different octaves? The more complex the synth/patches the wilder it can get.

Also, it's CPU-intensive. Every possible parameter is changing all at once, on top of the regular modulation in two patches that are also morphing.

Now that I think about Zebra 2, for example, that would be heavy if you had four oscillators, each with several oscillator effects, on top off all the other stuff. I still want to hear what that might sound like, especially with some of the comb filter type patches.

Zenith (not a synth) might allow for morphing between presets (I forget). But maybe the spirit of this thread would be to exclude anything where you'd have to assign all the parameters you want to change (Biotek is like this, if you're using your own patches).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Absynth was mentioned but correct me if I'm wrong, after downloading the demo and skimming the manual I think it just morphs between waveforms. Good lord the pads and bells sound good in it though. (Too good... sigh GAS).
Minimonsta... as far as I can tell I have to pay 7 dollars to read the manual....? Not going to do that just to use the demo. As far as I can figure, the time knob in the lower right hand corner only effects the speed it moves through a series of morphs (morph sequence). For just a single morph, it just immediately jumps to the next parameters. Can't control the speed of the morph.

empphryio wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:14 am Can't control the speed of the morph.
Sure can. I'm doing exactly that right now, using key velocity as I described. Alternatively, using the on-screen keyboard I can simulate velocity by clicking the mouse toward the hinge for low velocity, toward the key's end for high velocity. The Time knob adjusts the overall range of morph speed, and key velocity combines with its setting to select a morph speed within that range.

During a morph switches, of course, change state instantaneously. Potentiometers change gradually. And I remembered right — releasing a morph key while a morph is in progress stops the changes in an intermediate stage; you can stop and go by gently pressing and releasing one of the morph keys.

Manuals are available only to paid customers, but there are videos on both the GForce and OhmForce websites. You can try a demo too. Well worth spending some time with IMO.

Sugarbytes Factory has a morphing function but I have no idea how well it works.
Last edited by BONES on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Years ago there was a synth that would allow you to choose two patches and it would create a new one based on that but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the synth. Not exactly real time morphing though.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

That's what Orion allows you to do with any generator and, I think, VSTi as well.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:15 am Now that I think about Zebra 2, for example, that would be heavy if you had four oscillators, each with several oscillator effects, on top off all the other stuff. I still want to hear what that might sound like, especially with some of the comb filter type patches.

Zenith (not a synth) might allow for morphing between presets (I forget). But maybe the spirit of this thread would be to exclude anything where you'd have to assign all the parameters you want to change (Biotek is like this, if you're using your own patches).
It really couldn’t work at all if the patches had different architectures. You’d need a fixed architecture synth. It would work in something like Hive, though.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

reading this topic, i'm sure it's about preset to preset morphing in a controllable way realtime. So not that kind when the plugin -not realtime- generates an inner state,
and not that kind when it's about the inner states of one preset,
so good bye Absynth and Crystal and Alchemy!
Very few plugin can transform its sound between two chosen presets. sure it's easier to be implemented in a fixed architecture synth.

to pilotredsun:
thanks for mentioning the morf wrapper, i will check that thing!

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:15 am Now that I think about Zebra 2, for example, that would be heavy if you had four oscillators, each with several oscillator effects, on top off all the other stuff. I still want to hear what that might sound like, especially with some of the comb filter type patches.
With the Reaper action I mentioned, with modular stuff either when adding/removing a module or inserting a cable things can't sound continuous while using a the morph slider during playback.

https://www.robpapen.com/Predator2.html

It's have four randomizers.

Return to “Instruments”