Are MPE Controllers a fad ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:30 pm
lfm wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:25 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:20 pm
lfm wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:08 pm And some seem to think a sequencer had to be programmed
Who? Nobody Ive noticed seems to have said anything in this thread which indicates they think that.
Well, I just did then.

Just the obvious alternative to keyboard was my thinking - since some just don't accept that keyboard is the dominant way to play synth music, samplers and such gear.
Goalpost move. This conversation wasnt about what is merely the dominant device.
(Though I kinda betcha that it aint actually dominant in every single genre. )
So all this fuss over marking words even though Bones said "almost certainly" which means there were almost no exceptions to regular up/down keyboards grand piano style?

I think it's time to list of these alternative devices some claim exist so heavily used?
I mean a while back, not just the current MPE stuff.

So some strips comes to mind, used like mod wheel kind of.

Just watched a whole load of Theremin midi controller demos.

None of them seemed to make any useful noise.

They all sounded like 1950s sci-fi movies.

Even when connected to a Moog.

MPE sounds better than any of those so perhaps progress is being made.

lfm wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:36 pmI think it's time to list of these alternative devices some claim exist so heavily used?
I already did. Even posted a picture of one.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

dellboy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:41 pm Just watched a whole load of Theremin midi controller demos.

wasnt really the point i was making...

but as midi controllers, they make no sounds, so its the presets chosen that are the issue there.

i was talking more from the point of view that there was a lot of music made with theremins, ie not using a standatd keyboard.
was not saying "forget mpe get a theremin!" in any way :)

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:44 pm
lfm wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:36 pmI think it's time to list of these alternative devices some claim exist so heavily used?
i even named rene.
which seems quite popular.

I’m confused as to why anyone takes anything that BONES says with any degree of seriousness.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:57 pm
dellboy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:41 pm Just watched a whole load of Theremin midi controller demos.

but as midi controllers, they make no sounds, so its the presets chosen that are the issue there.

i was talking more from the point of view that there was a lot of music made with theremins, ie not using a standatd keyboard.
Sorry, not being critical, it just surprised me that they sucked as midi controllers.

In theory they should be fab being analog continuous and all, but,nope, they fail.

I only found out that such a thing as a "theremin midi controller" existed after reading your mention and googling........

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:10 pm I’m confused as to why anyone takes anything that BONES says with any degree of seriousness.
i didnt.
but someone new might.
so he needed correcting.
and i was bored.

dellboy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Sorry, not being critical, it just surprised me that they sucked as midi controllers.

In theory they should be fab being analog continuous and all, but,nope, they fail.

I only found out that such a thing as a "theremin midi controller" existed after reading your mention and googling........
ive never tried a midi one tbh, i do have an actual one, which i enjoy.
especially through pedals n shit.
also modular allows me to use it in some ways to control some bits at audio rate. :)

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:10 pm I’m confused as to why anyone takes anything that BONES says with any degree of seriousness.
I think it falls more under that "broken clock" philosophy. A very narrow perspective that can sometimes actually be correct.

As far as "fad"? I think they're more of a niche than a fad.
Kind of like a Chapman Stick is to guitar players.

Yeah, I’m totally going to sell my Theremin. I haven’t touched it in years.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

BBFG# wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:19 pm
I think it falls more under that "broken clock" philosophy. A very narrow perspective that can sometimes actually be correct.

As far as "fad"? I think they're more of a niche than a fad.
Kind of like a Chapman Stick is to guitar players.
That’s a better analogy, though something like the Osmose takes a bit less of a learning curve than going from a guitar or bass to a Stick/Warr style instrument. I bought a stick and I sold it after a year. I just didn’t have the time to spend becoming mediocre on another instrument. :lol: My Rise, OTOH, let me feel pretty proficient after a week or so.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:52 pm

Yeah, I’m totally going to sell my Theremin. I haven’t touched it in years.
:clap:

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:44 pm
And that does not fill exception of 'almost certainly all', or whatever quote was?

Is it the language police at work, or what? ;) :D

And it wasn't like considered step sequencer - the Akai?
Drum machine with extra midi tracks recording.

From vintagesynth.org
"Sequencer: 20 songs, 99 sequences, 99 tracks, 60,000 note capacity"
"Most artists create their patterns in real-time adding drum parts to a beat-loop spontaneously creating a groove that captures the vibe. These patterns are varied and chained into a sequence. "

Ok, sequencers of this style were used quite a bit.

And just using programming pads for a beat more or less, then keyboard to record/play is vastly quicker for the rest.

Howard Jones did a lot of that - drum machine and an small bass sequence running and doing the rest live on his keyboards.

So drum machine for beats - hardly synth as probably what bones referred to. But drums, very common. I think we can include synth bass too.

What else but sequencer that can do step and live?
I think we are below "almost certainly all" still and everything is keyboards.
Full arrangements are much more.

dellboy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Well, any instrument or interface is going to suck if you can't play it, and I'd hazard a guess most music tech video content is made immediately on receipt of said tech. Nobody is going to be Clara Rockmore right out of the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5cOdZh4zK8

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”