16GB or 32GB of ram?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sluggo wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:12 pm Pretty much all of my work I use vst softsynths which may include 2 plugins that use audio libraries: Guru drum sampler and StylusRMX. I've also used a sampler with bass samples. Other than that, I don't really use a sampler. At some point I may bounce some tracks but I've never used more than 16 audio tracks.

Considering the above, is 16GB of ram enough for my needs?

thanks
Do you have 16GB now? How much is maximum in you computer?

Daimonicon wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:23 pm
sluggo wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:12 pm Pretty much all of my work I use vst softsynths which may include 2 plugins that use audio libraries: Guru drum sampler and StylusRMX. I've also used a sampler with bass samples. Other than that, I don't really use a sampler. At some point I may bounce some tracks but I've never used more than 16 audio tracks.

thanks
I decided to go with 16GB.

sluggo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:52 pm
Daimonicon wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:23 pm

thanks
I decided to go with 16GB.
But you need 32!

And a new synth.

thanks
You know your needs so you decide yourself

But i think for your needs you need 64gb of ram and olives with cheese :clown:

Headphone output the same noise ?

Not sure if this is relevant, I presume you are on W10 on the new machine.

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... rs.270104/

Very commonly noise issues vanish once balanced connections are in place but obviously with RCA's
that won't be happening. You have not got input mode set for turntables, which is routed/monitored directly to the outputs by any chance ? I know, clutching at straws here.

What is the noise character ? Constant hum, hiss and hum, chirping ? (old modem kind of sounds) along with CPU load etc.

BertKoor wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:34 pmWithout Kontakt and such, I'd say you could get by with only 8 GB. Only just...
I get by with 8GB and Kontakt just fine. Seriously, I've never noticed my RAM usage going over about 50%. To be fair, it's not something I go looking at on a regular basis but I have checked it out of curiosity on occasion and it's been fine. If you've got an SSD, you won't even notice if it starts working from a paging file so it really doesn't matter and 16GB will be plenty now and for the future.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Synthman2000 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:22 pm Headphone output the same noise ?

Not sure if this is relevant, I presume you are on W10 on the new machine.

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... rs.270104/

Very commonly noise issues vanish once balanced connections are in place but obviously with RCA's
that won't be happening. You have not got input mode set for turntables, which is routed/monitored directly to the outputs by any chance ? I know, clutching at straws here.

What is the noise character ? Constant hum, hiss and hum, chirping ? (old modem kind of sounds) along with CPU load etc.
Hiss and hum, slightly static-y. The noise changes as the mouse scrolls, etc. This happens even if my LCD monitor is powered off.

The headphone sound is clean. Doesn't matter if my monitors are plugged in or not, if my lcd monitor is on or not, etc.

I installed my DAW, turned down the built-in windows audio mixer for my output channel and then played a couple of notes. The sound was maxed out. On my master out in the DAW I have to set the fader down near the bottom. The Audio 8 DJ driver doesn't come with its own software mixer.

Adjusting the windows audio mixer does not change the volume of the noise.

Sounds very much like an earth based/grounding/PSU issue to me. Without balanced I/O it may not be resolveable.

Synthman2000 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:40 pm Sounds very much like an earth based/grounding/PSU issue to me. Without balanced I/O it may not be resolveable.
Agreed on this. The outputs for the Audio 8 look to unbalanced and the Focusrite should be balanced, so if they have different results, that's your answer.

There is something like an "ART DTI" box that would probably fix it through ground lifting and convet to a balanced signal if you really need it to work.

I have 32 GB of ram so that I can load big sample libraries into Kontakt.

Only I never bother to do that and Kontakt just sits there gloating.

And then I use my hardware synths all the time and play in live to audio or midi.

And I could do that years ago onto multiple tracks with less than 1 GB of ram and with a 32 bit operating system.

But 64 GB is progress.

Isn't it ?

i have 16gb, and it is often not enough
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

Kaine wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:30 pm Agreed on this. The outputs for the Audio 8 look to unbalanced and the Focusrite should be balanced, so if they have different results, that's your answer.

There is something like an "ART DTI" box that would probably fix it through ground lifting and convet to a balanced signal if you really need it to work.
The Audio 8 does have a ground plug, it's designed for the phono input. I'd guess that it's a common ground for the whole interface. If I knew of a safe way to hack a cable from the plug to the ground on my powerbar I would try it. Well, I guess I could buy a 3 prong plug end and only connect a wire to the ground, plug it into the powerbar and run the wire up to the ground plug on the interface and see what happens.

I would leave the mains electric exactly as it is, don't be tempted to tamper with it at all.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”