New "Budget" Elektron Box - Model:Cycles

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9556 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:00 pm

Anyone seen this? It's an FM version of their last box - https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/26/ele ... groovebox/
It looks like Model:Samples but uses a cut-down, dumbed down version of the Digitone engine. Same price, too.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 17 (Core i7, 8GB RAM, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Hive, Substance, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Trueno, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2.

bharris22
KVRAF
1701 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Re: New "Budget" Elektron Box - Model:Cycles

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:04 pm

A $299 hardware FM synth is very interesting to me . . . . I had thought that the Model:Samples was overpriced at $399 (especially as I have a Digitakt), but $299 is definitely a sweeter spot.

revvy
KVRian
563 posts since 15 Feb, 2020

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Agreed, looks good.

bharris22
KVRAF
1701 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:56 am

Monophonic only, or is it only the sequencers that are monophonic? If the sound is monophonic, that would probably be a deal-breaker for me.

DJ Warmonger
KVRAF
3688 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:00 am

A $299 hardware FM synth is very interesting to me
This looks more like elaborate drum machine rather than fully-blown FM synth. Nothing for sound designers, but may help creating more diverse and organic drum patterns. Much more than "tone" and "decay" found in 808, for instance.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Silaris
KVRist
329 posts since 15 Jan, 2003 from USA

Post Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:20 pm

The Model:Cycles is different enough from my other drum machines that I decided to place an order. It should arrive later this month.

DrGonzo
KVRAF
2405 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:25 pm

Bought one from Thomann and it arrived a couple of days ago. I was surprised on how much I liked it.

Yeah, you could say it's dumbed down from Digitone - but that's like saying the Reface DX is a dumbed down DX7. It most certainly is. But that doesn't mean you have a painfully limited sound. It sounds good and have a wide palette of sounds. And the fact that this is FM without any menus or sub parameters - makes it very enjoyable to use. Workflow is excellent.

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
DISTORTED EVOLUTION 4 MOVEMENT for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

antic604
KVRAF
4109 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:45 am

I really like the idea, feature-set and their implementation for both Cycles:xxx boxes, but the soap-like design throws me off enough to not ever consider getting any of them.
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

DrGonzo
KVRAF
2405 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:54 am

I can absolutely understand that. I felt that about the Samples model. But it's better in real life than in the pictures. But if you absolutely hate it - there are some people making quite cool overlays for it. So far just the Samples model - but I'm sure Cycles are coming soon.

I know lots of people have been bitching about Elektron leaving the advanced and so called "core" users left behind with their cheaper boxes, and while I can understand that - but at this point I am quite curious what a new high-end unit from Elektron would look like. The evolution from let's say the Octatrack to the Model-units is quite interesting. Sure. The old Elektron looks to be gone forever - but the new one is starting to look interesting.

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
DISTORTED EVOLUTION 4 MOVEMENT for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”