Expensive digital piano X audio monitors

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I visited a music store recently and I got very impressed with some of a bit expensive digital pianos, like one from Korg and a Casio Privia, cause I found their sound, from their own speakers, very good.

Do you think I could get a so good sound or better using an audio monitor (Im thinking to buy krk rokit 6) and a very good vst?

Im asking cause once i dont have the audio monitor to test, i wonder If theirs some tricky Engineering of the devices to make them sound good, or If with good monitors I would get a similar good sound.

What tends to sound better, an advanced Casio Privia "Natural" sound or a very good vst plus an audio monitor of quality?

Thank you
Better than this only the silence. Better than the silence only John.

Inbuilt keyboard speakers are always awful. Studio monitors will be leagues beyond. Even budget ones.

And “digital pianos” are basically less capable plugins/soundware. So yeah, though it might surprise you ;), my money is on the plugins/soundware plus monitors.

However, the other factor to consider is the controller. Get yourself a good one, if you want it to feel remotely ‘like a piano’.

Some things to look out for in Yamaha I looked at over the years - was that certain refined processing to resemble the real thing was only on internal amp/speakers - not on line out. So one thing to consider if to use digital piano in phones or recording purposes.

So reading manual and specs properly I found this out. So do that for your intended alternatives.

I bought a digital piano from a guy that were to replace it with Pianoteq VST and monitors beside a good master keyboard with proper weighted keys. Just listening to demos of Pianoteq they do sound nice, but never tried out myself out in the room.

One piece of mixing monitors I looked at Dynaudio has some tilted front which could serve very well each side of a keyboard getting them angled towards you.

But I find if too many things to fire up to sit down and play a bit - and you do that more seldom. The digital piano - one power button and sit and play - that is way to go for me. Really low threshold to actually sit down and play ever so often.

Out of curiosity I looked at what $15.000-$20.000 digital pianos offer - and it was all about recreating what a grand piano do as it fills a room with sound. It was something like 18 speakers and 50W amp for each and similar. Then you start getting that physical presence of sitting at an acoustic instrument I gather.

So is the intention of getting the sound in the room or to large extent phones or recording and stuff?

I use mostly for recording and song writing - and got a Kawai MP7SE which is awesome. But no speakers at all - line outs and phones. It's a stage piano.

Good place to discuss is PianoWorld
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads. ... oards.html

I want a piano as the family has been asking for one.

I'll be getting a cheapish digital one that has decent sounding built in speakers as nobody wants the hassle of them having to access a computer plus plugins to access a VST or even having to turn on an additional amp or speakers. Similar to lfm above.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Im using now a Casio ctk3500, and though i can just turn It on and play, i cant resist to turn the computer on and put ivory pianos on my focusrite phone cause it sounds so better - even if the playability of in-built Casio being good(no latency)
I have bad quality speakers (common stereo player) and the vst sounds so awful on it i was start doubting it could sound better in a monitor 😄 good to know its the other way
The good thing of the monitors is that I could also use It for listening to music.

I saw an announce of a very low price 'm audio keystation 88 es" in my region with broken pitch Wheel, are the keys of this one good?

I miss 88 keys and some weight, practicing on my Casio i dont feel ready to record piano at a Studio, which I would like to do...

Of course i would like a digital piano, but its sort of the same price of getting good audio monitors, i was thinking on getting this keystation-88 and an audio monitor for a while.

I can recommend the Roland FP-30 WH. Affordable, good keys, that feel (to me) close to a grand piano, the sound is decent, the internal instruments are okay.
It's far from being as good as the NI Noire Piano (which is our current favourite sampled piano, I no longer like the Ivory much), but for the directness of a physical piano, it's the most affordable we found that's still good (especially the keys are my favourite in a wide price range).
The sound also depends a lot on where you put it.
I'd happily use it as a master keyboard.

Like was said before, a real piano does fill the room with sound quite differently than any monitors, but I found that a 4 monitor surround setup can give a good feel of being "in the sound", even though not the same of course as a living, breathing grand.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

This is the one im tempted to buy:

https://mt.olx.com.br/regiao-de-cuiaba/ ... -722118756

Its about $90 usd but ill negotiate the price.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”