Why you left VSTs?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:13 am
lfm wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:18 amI prefer physical knobs and buttons - and the convenience of just one power button to sit down and play a bit. Just more accessible.
I'm sorry but that's just bullshit. The only power button I need to switch on is my laptop. Once it's on, so is everything else. OTOH, each of my hardware synths has a power button and so does the mixer. That's at least half-a-dozen more power buttons to press.
Pfff. The power of my Eurorack cases/modules, speakers, audio interface and mixer is fully controlled by Alexa. I don't have to touch a single button to turn everything on or off :P

Switching from plugins to hardware is like switching from MS Word to a mechanical typewriter 8)

e-crooner wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:32 am Switching from plugins to hardware is like switching from MS Word to a mechanical typewriter 8)
That's totally ok with me as long as Apple doesn't make typewriters :hihi:

e-crooner wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:32 am Switching from plugins to hardware is like switching from MS Word to a mechanical typewriter 8)
I did that when I was a creative writing major. I couldn't afford a laptop at the time but I could afford a Remington portable. It was a bitch to carry around but I liked the feel of an old mechanical typewriter. I feel the same about my hardware synths.

I never left VSTs though... they're still here.

justin3am wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:00 am
I did that when I was a creative writing major. I couldn't afford a laptop at the time but I could afford a Remington portable. It was a bitch to carry around but I liked the feel of an old mechanical typewriter. I feel the same about my hardware synths.

Yep, i know someone who still types, says it’s more visceral. Same can be said for hardware. As always when faced with difficults decisions i choose both. Hardware, software, sure.

MS word sux btw.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

double
Last edited by CrystalWizard on Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Yes, HW certainly can't match the appeal of Word.

LMFAO
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

It's more like switching from MS Word to painting.

And as several of us already pointed out multiple times, it's not "switching" anyway, it's adding.

CrystalWizard wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:49 am Yep, i know someone who still types, says it’s more visceral.
Pencil and paper. Helps me to focus on that place under the tip of the pencil. Conjuration by weaving!

A typewriter is like playing an organ that makes shotgun sounds. Your mind gets wrapped up in the machinery.

I learned how to type before computers were common. I didn't really hear the harsh keystrokes anymore after a while. Still, I never found it more inspiring or artistic than Word. A Remington is also just a machine.

But the comfort of Word is a huge advantage. Editing most of all. And Word saves a lot of paper, i.e. trees.

The same goes for synths in my view. Sure, the tactile/fun aspect is reduced, depending on one's Midi controller. Other than that I see only advantages.

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:01 am Well, you are wrong. Your beloved Virus, for example, is simply a software synthesizer wrapped in a custom box with keys. It is completely and utterly no different to any VSTi, beyond the code used to create it. If Access ever decided to release it as a VSTi, it would sound exactly the same, just as the sound of my Novation K Station was indistinguishable from that of it's V-Station VSTi clone. IF you find your software doesn't sound as good as your hardware, I'd be looking for problems in your signal path because there is no reason it shouldn't sound at least as good.
I understand that the Virus is coded, etc. But the problem is that I've not found anything that can compete with it in terms of sound without slathering the VST in FX and further processing. But even beyond that the Virus has it's own unique sound (like or loath it). Maybe because I like heavy music so it sits well with my musical taste. I've tried several times to recreate bass in Dune 3 and it does a great job (it's one of my favorite softies) but I still think the Virus does it better - especially with the onboard distortion it has.

You point about Access bringing out a soft synth that would sound exactly like the hardware could be accurate (lest assume they'd go all out). The Roland cloud is a good example of a vsts being very close to the original. Same goes for u-he's stuff. That said, I doubt it will ever happen. As I was saying earlier though, I have no personal loyalty to a product or hardware. If Access did bring out such a synth my Polar would be on ebay before you could say I hate Elton John.

Truth be told I'd prefer to use only software... It's far less hassle (hardware is a pain in the ass to set up). And as for that whole 'tactile' argument I find it irrelevant as I could just use a midi controller. As it happens I use the virus as a soft synth anyway (TI integration). I can't play keyboard for shit.

I also own a Minibrute II and again I can't find a vst that can replicate the bass. Or make bass that sounds quite as good n' heavy.

Regarding my 'signal flow' - One could say that as the HW has an advantage of going through a pre-amp. It would be a pain to do that with a vst (maybe the Analog Heat could do that with its overbridge plugin).

Now if you said to me that guitar itb distortion sounds as good as an actual amp I'd 100% agree. A few of those companies have done an amazing job - Like Neural DSP. And the difference to my ears is negligible.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

e-crooner wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:31 pm

I learned how to type before computers were common. I didn't really hear the harsh keystrokes anymore after a while. Still, I never found it more inspiring or artistic than Word. A Remington is also just a machine.

But the comfort of Word is a huge advantage. Editing most of all. And Word saves a lot of paper, i.e. trees.

The same goes for synths in my view. Sure, the tactile/fun aspect is reduced, depending on one's Midi controller. Other than that I see only advantages.
using hardware is very much like making love to a beautiful woman, maybe one day youll get to try one or the other...

swiss toni.

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:11 pmusing hardware is very much like making love to a beautiful woman, maybe one day youll get to try one or the other...

swiss toni.
A synth is just a machine. I used to have a hardware synth, I don't miss it at all.

moan at toni, not me.

Robmobius wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:01 pm Maybe because I like heavy music so it sits well with my musical taste. I've tried several times to recreate bass in Dune 3 and it does a great job (it's one of my favorite softies) but I still think the Virus does it better - especially with the onboard distortion it has.

I also own a Minibrute II and again I can't find a vst that can replicate the bass. Or make bass that sounds quite as good n' heavy.
Do you have audio examples of such heavy basses? Just curious...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”