Softube console 1, how good is it?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have a friend of mine who's willing to sell his almost unused Console 1 MK2 with the standard plugins for 150 euro as a friend deal.

I'm so used to other plugins, that im unsure f I need such console. I mean it only works with their and uad stuff, but I do hear a lot about how great the standard plugins sound, so I'm kind of in a doubt what to do?

I love to touch knobs and just hear what I do, instead of looking at it with my eyes. I think this is also the best way, but that's just my thoughts.

Is it worth it? Will it be my go to plugins? Or are only the ones you need to buy separately worth it? Cause I don't feel like spending hundreds of euros again for plugins that I have from another brand.

Would love to hear some thoughts.

For 150 that's a pretty great deal and worst case you can turn around sell it again if you're finding you don't like it. I can't see you losing money on it. I'm doing less mixing these days, so mine isn't getting a lot of use, but it sounds great overall. It can easily become your overall channel strip assuming you like the inc. SSL 4K emulation. Kind of depends on what style of music you produce.

As to whether or not you'll use it... harder to predict. If you're the kind of person that can primarily use and get to know just a handful of plugins it'll suit you. If you like to constantly try/use different things and are always putting different EQ's/compressors on different channels, then it's not going to be your thing unless you're already heavily invested in other Softube plugins.

You'll have to do a little soul searching to know if you'll be content with just using primarily the incl. SSL channel strip for the bulk of your tasks.

There is a reason your friend is selling it so cheap: it makes you commit to use softube software, which you may or not be happy doing. It is not like a normal controller that you configure to your needs.
dedication to flying

I had it awhile ago, I sold it off, but find myself missing it sometimes. It was very handy to reach for it vs the mouse. I'll probably pick another one up at some point.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

I'm happy with mine, for a couple of years now.
I occasionally use other plugins, but mainly the Console 1.
I did get a good deal on a used Volume 1, so that added some extra compatible plugins, well worth it.
I wouldn't want to go back to not having it at all.

The power of Console 1 does not lie in the software channel strips it comes with, although it’s sounds great.
But using it as an ordinary midi controller let’s you control any plugin you wish. I run Studio one and I control a bunch of third party plugs with C1. There’s a good video about this on YouTube just a few days old.
https://youtu.be/9P5EEk9dOBE
Last edited by Jopol on Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you don‘t want it, I‘d be glad to talkt to your friend 😝
For 150 don‘t hesitate. I Once won one and sold it, but i wouldn‘t do it again. So cool to control the eq with actual knobs.
DAW Integration was Not perfect back then (Ableton) but i heard it improved.
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Bought mine around Christmas and although I haven't used it that much, I quite like it. I haven't dived deep into it yet - I'm basically just doing panning, levelling and low-cut filtering - but making mixes goes quite fast for me now. Might actually go for the fader companion sooner or later.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Ableton integration is tighter now with the new updates using VST3, its a good piece of kit, makes mixing a lot quicker good fast workflow.
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

I think it's a great bit of hard/soft-ware integration ... even more valuble to me because I have UAD Apollo X audio interface and they work together really well.
I have found using knobs and sliders with my hands, watching graphs with my eyes, and listening with my ears a very effective and educational way of working out eq, fx, balance, etc.
Highly recommended.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”