I want to start to learn synth sound design, looking for a synth recommendation

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ovox

My top choices (all are FREE)

Kamioooka - free modular synth vst useful for anything really

MinimogueVA - a free Moog clone with extra features. I almost exclusively used this til I found Kamioooka

Dominator (TA Programming) - This free synth can be used to make some extremely harsh FM or dubstep sounds

Once you know how they work, you shouldn't really need more

Waves Element 2 is perfect for starting sound design. All you need in one window and renowned for its analog feel and it sounds great.
On top of that, super cheap. Only downside In my book is its cpu intensive.

hag01: You'll get more and more answers here that will only confuse you more.
My tip: search youtube for basic knowledge, test the synths they show and learn on it. Read the manuals and it all comes out.
Just start, that's what counts. Of course, such synth monsters overstrain you, but every synth also consists of an oscillator, envelope, filter and LFO. It's just in another spot.

Music Bird wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:23 pm Check out Synth1. It’s a classic. And it’s free!
Yeah, didn't we all start with it? :)

I recommend you Monark and Synth1.
Cheers.

I think Thorn would be very good for a beginner. First you'll be tweaking the harmonic filter and loading different presets into the harmonic filter, and tweaking the filter, making a sound that's different from the presets. Then you'll be playing with the fx. Then you'll be tweaking the envelopes and maybe automating the envelopes for example the release. It's easy to find everything you need.

A lot of the synths recommended so far are not analog emulations at all, but yes they would be good for learning synthesis. You really should just stick with what you have and dive into it. If analog emulation is important to you, then Diva can get you damn close to several famous analog synths.

U-he has tons (maybe 50 or so) of short videos for Zebra and Zebra 2 (both not analog emulations) that teach about various features--and about sound design, really. I learned a lot from them.

You should also look into types of synthesis and figure out what is most important for you (additive, subtractive, wave table, FM, physical modeling--also do you have an interest in modular (Zebra is semi-modular)?).

One tack to take for learning sound design would be to see which synthesizers have the most tutorials available (from the company, from users on Youtube or other formats).

I started with TAL Noisemaker and some other free synths (from TAL and u-he), moved on to Serum, then really learned synthesis on Zebra 2. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd start with Harmor (additive synth, but not an analogue emulation), and watch all the SeamlessR videos. I learned a lot about synthesis watching him, even before buying Harmor (note, this can be time consuming, as his videos aren't edited to be efficient--at least the ones I have seen). In contrast, early on I had watched a lot of Youtube videos on Serum, but I got a lot of--what I didn't know at the time was--bad information, like, "just start modulating as many parameters as you can"--ha.

Tip: use an oscilloscope as you learn a synth. Yes, your ear should be most important, but the visual information helped me grasp better what each parameter can do (like those oscillator effects in Zebra).

Oh, and read the manual cover to cover, for whatever synth you are learning. It will save you so much time.
Last edited by Dirtgrain on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:24 pm analog emulations
I missed that. I just thought he was looking for an easy synth to learn with.

I've heard it said that Serum is very easy to learn with, but I haven't got Serum.

I hate videos but that's just me

Spring Goose wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:38 pm I hate videos but that's just me
Are you referring to my post?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:42 pm
yes

Spring Goose wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:32 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:42 pm
yes
Oh, sorry! I hadn’t realised when I posted that you weren’t the op (That’ll teach me to read further back than the last posted comment).

Either way, Syntorial has a USP that goes a long way to addressing the biggest failings (for some) of solely using tutorial videos.

There’s a demo with which one can get a better idea of whether it would be of benefit :tu:

Return to “Sound Design”