AAS String Studio real instrument presets / sound design

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi :),

AAS has many soundpacks with many "design" sounds, many effects and some phyiscal modelled percussion.

But I am also looking for sounds for real strings, bass, cello, viola, violin, hurdy-gurdy, nyckelharpa, harps, tagelharpa, r-guitars, various types of acoustic guitars and so on.

Unfortunately the AAS packs are not particularly focused on this.
It's easy to create kinf of similar sounds, but it's hard not to make it sound like String studio.

I like MASALA 2 the most for it. They really sound like oriantal lutes and so on. And the Zen string already sounds like a kind of a chello.

Did you create your own instruments? Do you know soundpacks for them? Or does it have no sense?

Thanks!

I've come to see its strength more in creating "otherworld" sounds, reminiscent of different ethnic instruments with present day processing.
I personally hope to see AAS one day collide String Studio, Chromaphone and Lounge Lizard into one instrument.
I'm also hoping they might pick up the gauntlet of the abandoned Linplug Saxlab with added double reed models as well to add to that collision. And no, I don't mean another Tassman.

BBFG# wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:40 pm I've come to see its strength more in creating "otherworld" sounds, reminiscent of different ethnic instruments with present day processing.
I personally hope to see AAS one day collide String Studio, Chromaphone and Lounge Lizard into one instrument.
I'm also hoping they might pick up the gauntlet of the abandoned Linplug Saxlab with added double reed models as well to add to that collision. And no, I don't mean another Tassman.
Agreed (although I sure wouldn't mind a seriously updated Tassman as well).

I wish they did more soundpacks like these as well, and I believe only 2-3 of the packs have more acoustic type presets, ex journeys and the two masala packs.

Like previously mentioned, it would be awesome if these engines could be combined into one synth, or at least put the presets and engines into something like Arturia analog labs.

By the way, I hope they update the preset browser in vs-3 to the same as in va3. It kind of sucks to browse by sound pack,

Strum GS-2 has guitars and plucked sounds. Honestly the acoustic stuff sounds kinda off but if you add pitch bends it can sound a bit more natural. The electric guitar stuff is plenty good especially if you run them through pedal.

As for String Studio, Journeys has some world-style instruments, and Frontiers has a cello but it's mostly trying to leverage the synth in unexpected ways. They all sound evocative but not exact. If you want something more realistic then look at Audio Modeling SWAM's stuff. Like BBFG said, the AAS stuff is best when you're trying to make something different with it. It sounds plausibly acoustic but not identifiable as any specific instrument which I find great in many contexts.

I still like AAS String Studio for sound design, it definitely has potential! It can sound really destructive, I like that. Combined with AMP, wow! I just thought that maybe there was more to it. I also thought that I could save Strum if I had String Studio.
But okay, I'm still satisfied, I have a field for it. For world, ethnic, oriantal, sfx, noises and so on it's very nice.

SWAM sounds outstanding! But I'd want everything, I can't afford that. Besides, I'm just limited to the instruments. Then I would like to tap the full potential of String Studio.

Maybe Entangled Species would be closer to what you’re looking for.. you would just have to back off the controls a bit.

If you have Cypher there’s some sounds in there by a designer named Himalya that are pretty impressive for their convincing acoustic properties.. something FM can excel at but not always easy to achieve.

ehdyn wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:48 pm Maybe Entangled Species would be closer to what you’re looking for.. you would just have to back off the controls a bit.

If you have Cypher there’s some sounds in there by a designer named Himalya that are pretty impressive for their convincing acoustic properties.. something FM can excel at but not always easy to achieve.
Thank you for the tip ehdyn! Will check it out.

Cool.. so you would filter by Himalaya and then I think they're mostly under PS and MT categories.. with a few scattered in other categories.

Some of the best presets I've heard.. and cleaner than AAS in some ways-they don't exhibit that same gritty breakup that can occur when overloading one of their instruments.

Obviously, it's trickier to alter them without the acoustic effect breaking down though.

Return to “Instruments”