Serum vs CPU

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, Serum is using so much of my cpu (making it spike and average loads of 50% per instance).

I did search here for what my be wrong/workarounds. Anyone care to help, I suspect I'm not the only one.
Cubase 10 / Win 64 / Serum 1.286 / Macbook Pro 16Gb Ram / i7 4980HQ 2.80 GHZ
I'd really appreciate any pointers to a fix or if needs be workarounds, I'm really hoping freeze isn't my only option.

ps I have many synths, but can't yet quite replicate this elsewhere
Last edited by skank on Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't what you think.

Wavetable synths take a lot of CPU. Anti-aliased, pristine oscillators like the ones in Serum take a lot of CPU. Good filters like the one in Serum take a lot of CPU.

You guessed it. That's why. :)

Try NI Monark, or Massive X, and compare. They take both more CPU than Serum here.

chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:49 pm Wavetable synths take a lot of CPU. Anti-aliased, pristine oscillators like the ones in Serum take a lot of CPU. Good filters like the one in Serum take a lot of CPU.

Try NI Monark, or Massive X, and compare. They take both more CPU than Serum here.
Thanks, but any workarounds?

None that I know of, unless there's something funky going on on your system.

What are the synths that take the most CPU on your system, apart from Serum?

I wonder if this will help:

https://splice.com/blog/optimizing-seru ... fficiency/

"Optimizing Serum for better CPU efficiency".
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

skank wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:58 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:49 pm Wavetable synths take a lot of CPU. Anti-aliased, pristine oscillators like the ones in Serum take a lot of CPU. Good filters like the one in Serum take a lot of CPU.

Thanks, but any workarounds?

Workarounds:

Increase buffer size, reduce voices, reduce amp release, reduce oversampling settings.

Get a better CPU 8)
Always Read the Manual!

chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:00 pm What are the synths that take the most CPU on your system, apart from Serum?
There aren't any, and I have a lot.

Closest I think is Omnisphere, but I still get several instances - of Omnisphere - quite comfortably
Last edited by skank on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i made a test, i played a chord on a instrument layering 4 instance of 33 voices of serum and another with the same config but with dune 3 (which is known to be the most cpu friendly synth), result were not so bad for serum, 45% cpu vs 40%.

each instance :
oversampling X2
no filters or fx
2 osc saw 16 voice
1 sub sine 1 voice

drdriller wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:20 pm i made a test, i played a chord on a instrument layering 4 instance of 33 voices of serum and another with the same config but with dune 3 (which is known to be the most cpu friendly synth), result were not so bad for serum, 45% cpu vs 40%.
That's what I was guessing. Serum wasn't really the toughest on CPU on my system.

skank wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:40 pm Hi, Serum is using so much of my cpu (making it spike and average loads of 50% per instance).

I did search here for what my be wrong/workarounds. Anyone care to help, I suspect I'm not the only one.
Cubase 10 / Win 64 / Serum 1.286 / Macbook Pro 16Gb Ram / i7 4980HQ 2.80 GHZ
I'd really appreciate any pointers to a fix or if needs be workarounds, I'm really hoping freeze isn't my only option.

ps I have many synths, but can't yet quite replicate this elsewhere
Windows on a MacBook ? :?:

Anyway, are you using Serum in draft mode (no oversampling) ? Or another mode ?
More BPM please

use synth1 and drench it in the same effects serum presets are drenched in. same general sounds, 90% less cpu use. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

lazyer do you really really believe that?
:borg:

Serum vs CPU?
Imho CPU sounds way better than Serum.

V0RT3X wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:13 am lazyer do you really really believe that?
From what I can tell, yes, he does.

Serum vs CPU:
Serum 1 : CPU 0

Return to “Instruments”