What's your favorite phaser VST?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The difference between Bigrock and Mikron Phaser is not such big...
Mikron Phaser
Bigrock
Uhbik P (Alpha)

With a pad:
Bigrock - Pad
Mikron - Pad
Uhbik P - Pad (Alpha)

Btw... my top 3 list ;)
  1. Bigrock is still my favourite phaser with the most pleasing sound without the needs of much tuning and fiddling with parameters. Is not actively developed and needs some tricks to get it working in a 64Bit environment.
  2. 112dB Mikron Phaser is very close but needs some important features like host sync of the LFO. Still in Beta
  3. Softube Fix Phaser has a very pleasing sound and is easy to use. Not a lightweight on the CPU. Sometimes problems with GUI freezes which could be based on their OpenGL implementation (I have OpenGL disabled in the plugin settings after I had also some freezes)
  4. Uhbik-P has the most features and now also with a classic 4 stage mode. Needs more fiddling with the different parameters... the sound is ok, but not my favorite. Alpha state so more for testing and early adopters.

I remember when BigTone was helping the ArtsAcoustic guys craft BigRock, they were all very aware that the older 70's SmallStones (MK 1 in particular, as well as the MK 2) were leaps and bounds ahead of the the later 80s/90s/2000s versions. So they were concerned with nailing it, especially in light of Jarre's use of it, and the mods he did to get the sound so wet.

Nice tests above there mate, particularly the second set. Is that a track you've done anywhere?

I found Uhbik's phaser the least impressive, it still doesn't do it for me, after all these years. And BigRock is still king. I think even NI's old Kleinstein phaser might be better than uhbik.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Last edited by rbn777 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HunterKiller wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:35 am I remember when BigTone was helping the ArtsAcoustic guys craft BigRock, they were all very aware that the older 70's SmallStones (MK 1 in particular, as well as the MK 2) were leaps and bounds ahead of the the later 80s/90s/2000s versions. So they were concerned with nailing it, especially in light of Jarre's use of it, and the mods he did to get the sound so wet.

Nice tests above there mate, particularly the second set. Is that a track you've done anywhere?

I found Uhbik's phaser the least impressive, it still doesn't do it for me, after all these years. And BigRock is still king. I think even NI's old Kleinstein phaser might be better than uhbik.
Of course they are not all Smallstone emulations, so the differences in sound are understandable. As far as I know Uhbik-P does not emulate hardware (?), so it sounds more like a "technically accurate" phaser and not very "lush" or "analog".

The phasers are only for testing on the pad. In the track I'm working on the pad is ducked and without a phaser ;)

this one is great, but i have shite timing with sales, so i don't own it and can't compare to offer any review.

https://www.nembriniaudio.com/products/ ... r-wha-vibe

sqigls wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:14 am this one is great, but i have shite timing with sales, so i don't own it and can't compare to offer any review.

https://www.nembriniaudio.com/products/ ... r-wha-vibe
It has some analog vibe but the rack version has "only" 2 mono phasers. This "wandering sound" in the stereo image you cannot achieve with this phaser. I have it installed and played a bit with it but I don't like it. The Phazevibe needs an iLok and is on sale for $39

rbn777 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:27 am Reading all this talk about Small Stone makes me wonder... Is there still no ITB variant of the "krautrock phaser", the Schulte Compact Phasing A? :)
There was an old 32bit SynthEdit one by WOK i think,but yeah.32bit and Synth Edit.mileage may vary :D
I

Last edited by rbn777 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I like the phaser setting of EHX’s ‘The Worm’. It’s not an emulation of any specific analog pedals, but it sounds great with a crunchy or slightly distorted guitar sound.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:11 pm I like the phaser setting of EHX’s ‘The Worm’. It’s not an emulation of any specific analog pedals, but it sounds great with a crunchy or slightly distorted guitar sound.
the vst version?

:lol:

vurt wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:43 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:11 pm I like the phaser setting of EHX’s ‘The Worm’. It’s not an emulation of any specific analog pedals, but it sounds great with a crunchy or slightly distorted guitar sound.
the vst version?

May...be.... :oops:

Forgotten wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:27 pm
the vst version?

didnt you also start talking software in a hardware thread recently?
have you been kicked in the head lately? :lol:

vurt wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:29 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:27 pm
the vst version?

didnt you also start talking software in a hardware thread recently?
have you been kicked in the head lately? :lol:
Um...head hurt...no remember...

:hihi:

if it's a phaser, the one in this song is my favourite. okay, maybe it's a plunger. i dunno.

i'm a guitar pedal loser so why don't you kill me. or better yet:

i'm a slacker so lemmy why don't you choke me. :)

https://youtu.be/8RV3UALgBr8
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Return to “Effects”