Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The legend thread got totally derailed by OB-Xa talk (partly my fault) so I thought I would make a new thread. Maybe the mods can move some of the discussion there to here...

I don't know the best way to contact a mod but if any read this, can you move to here the pages in the legend thread from this page onwards viewtopic.php?f=1&t=470249&start=2670 (from the point where the status of the OB-Xa was asked about).
Thanks!
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I wanted to post the video in the Legend thread, but, as you opened up a new one... :)
recursive one wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:11 pm What is the original OB-X(a) known for? Could someone post any examples?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rAzEZswh4k

TBH, I prefer the OB-X, because I simply like the filter better, and, it has a more distinctive, quite unique sound. Very warm, fat synth. and very "spacy" sounding.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:30 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:26 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:24 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:55 pm MPE is in, microtuning not.
Are you allowed to say if cross-mod and sem style multi-mode filter made it in? Those are the two things I'm hoping for as I already have that with OP-X-Pro.
things are constantly changing, so best not to say anything :wink:
I'd be surprised if such major features are changing during the beta stage! Cross-mod and filter types?
Yep, such changes do and have taken place.

AnX wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:47 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:30 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:26 pm
Are you allowed to say if cross-mod and sem style multi-mode filter made it in? Those are the two things I'm hoping for as I already have that with OP-X-Pro.
things are constantly changing, so best not to say anything :wink:
I'd be surprised if such major features are changing during the beta stage! Cross-mod and filter types?
Yep, such changes do and have taken place.
Well then I will hope that such changes were additions and not subtractions!!

I mean heck the Legend got a 12db mode right? So here's hoping for some good filter flexibility. ;)

An interesting thing in the OB-Xa i that it had 2 separate circuits für 2-pole and 4-pole LPF. The 2-Pole filter keeps most of the low end with high Resonance while the 4-pole filter has a decreasing low end with high resonance.

Details about the 2-pole and 4-pole designs of the OB-Xa could be found here:
https://electricdruid.net/cem3320-filter-designs/
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:43 pm I wanted to post the video in the Legend thread, but, as you opened up a new one... :)
recursive one wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:11 pm What is the original OB-X(a) known for? Could someone post any examples?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rAzEZswh4k

TBH, I prefer the OB-X, because I simply like the filter better, and, it has a more distinctive, quite unique sound. Very warm, fat synth. and very "spacy" sounding.
These videos have me feeling pretty pumped for the Synapse take on it! Given the sound of the legend I think they are the right folks to do the OB.

Also, anyone expecting a more modern take on OP-X II Pro will perhaps be disappointed in some ways. Like there's no SEM style filter. But there's some other nifty additions that OP-X doesn't have, OTOH.
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:51 pmWell then I will hope that such changes were additions and not subtractions!!
There were no subtractions. :)

I'm sure the GUI will be much less confounding than OP-X II Pro. So it's got that going for it.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:21 pm I'm sure the GUI will be much less than OP-X II Pro. So it's got that going for it.
Ha, so true. Even with the relatively nice update that he did a couple years ago, that thing is still full of unknown-button-combo switches and totally non-intuitive UI choices. I never use it, and I don't miss it.

I have no opinion in the OB-X versus OB-Xa realm, I'm just excited that a company I really like is doing an Oberheim and it's *not* another SEM (Arturia and Brainworx have that area fully covered).

The 2-pole LPF design in the OB-Xa opposing to the 4-pole one seems to have a quite unique SVF design (also see the link in my post above) which results in a different behavior at high resonance compared to the 4-pole LPF and e.g. the Minimoog ladder filter. The most notable effect is that this 2-pole LPF keeps most of the low end even at full resonance.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Most SVFs (at least AFAIK) retain the low end with increased resonance, Ingo. :)

mholloway wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:26 pm I have no opinion in the OB-X versus OB-Xa realm, I'm just excited that a company I really like is doing an Oberheim and it's *not* another SEM (Arturia and Brainworx have that area fully covered).
OP-X Pro II, the free OB-Xd and the Uhbie filter in Diva are based on the SEM design too.

Actually Arturia Matrix-12 so far seems to be the only other Oberheim emulation based on Curtis filter chips while those in the Matrix-12/Xpander are other chips than used in the OB-Xa/OB-8 and Prophet-5 Rev3.
Ingo Weidner

The bx_oberhausen SEM is my favorite-sounding one so far (though it still falls short of analog hardware), but it's too buggy to bother with for me, especially knowing that Synapse Audio is far along in creating something. Diva is still a winner, as always. Such a flexible beast.

Yes, I know SEM does not equal Curtis. I have a SEM hardware synth, and, given I love Oberheim, I'm drooling over the Synapse effort and can't wait to buy it.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:16 pm
OB-Xa didn't have SEM-style filter, just a 2/4-pole lowpass, so Synapse did the same, except added bandpass mode....
Yeah I know the Xa only had lowpasses - the SEM filter was in the category of "extras I hope they include". ;)

Will it also have the cassette interface?

Return to “Instruments”