Can't stop playing with XLN's XO...Is it just me?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yellowmix wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:04 pm
mxbf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:29 pm if the sequencer was more XILS-STIX or Geist2 calibre with more effects and more of a full featured instrument level setup, this would be a hit.
Geist 2 retails for $199, Stix is 179 Euro about $199. XO is $179 (and the Lite is $119). I don't think it's fair to expect XO at its current pricepoint to be the same calibre as full-fledged drum machines especially like Geist 2 and have this amazing AI classification and search. Note Algonaut Atlas retails for $99, you get XO Lite for $20 more, which is a no-brainer to me.
I think there's a form vs. function compromise that has to ultimately be dealt with. I happen to own all the FXpansion stuff from Guru---> Geist 2. On the march to add value and features, Geist 2 loses me a bit because of the endless functions crammed onto the page. Plus, my higher level creative stuff happens in my DAW, not Geist. So, while I appreciate the high level functionality, I'm not the target demographic that will push the envelope using most of the whiz-bang features in Geist 2.

XO is a different animal. First of all, it is visually stunning, and about as tactile to use as a digital program gets. Lots of pleasure receptors get triggered with this thing, and the more intuitive interface (which is in part due to it having fewer features) makes exploring it a joy, not a chore. The things it actually does, it does extremely well. And, for me and others, actually being able to easily locate and use all those thousands of forgotten one-shots on all my drives is, in itself, worth the price of admission.

I'm sure that given time, XLN will add some of the useful features that have been suggested. But I would hope that it would be somewhat conservative in its approach as to what does get added so as not to kill the overall vibe.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

yellowmix wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:54 pm I mean sure it's a drum machine and the length isn't relevant within the plugin, but when it exports midi, it needs to pick a note length. It seems arbitrarily short at the moment, why not the step length...
Send a feature request to XLN, I don't think it's arbitrary though since it provides room to nudge the timing or add additional hits in a MIDI editor. Otherwise I'd be shortening the note to make room.

But yeah, I can see the problem if you really want it to act as note off. Does Bitwig have any quantize options to snap note ends to grids? Or a way to set all notes to a specific length? It's one button press for me in my DAW.
Yeah not a big deal really, I can just select all notes and quantize to grid note end. Not really used to adjusting notes imported from somewhere else or really quantizing anything, so I didn't think of that. Thanks.

I really hope they add the ability to share preset patterns. That would be killer.

JiggSaw wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:48 pm I really hope they add the ability to share preset patterns. That would be killer.
Well, XO has the ability to save and load beats from the preset browser, and the selector at the top allows you to choose between All, XLN, or User, so I'd say that the ability to share preset patterns is already there. It's just that, as far as I can tell, no-one has gathered any presets together in one place. I don't know how long XO has been around, but seeing as the build number is currently 1.1.3, I suspect it must be a relatively young product.

I'll carry on searching the interwebs, but if anyone finds a motherload of gleaming XO beat presets, then feel free to reply to this thread 😉

Cheers 😀
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

carlca wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:38 pm
JiggSaw wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:48 pm I really hope they add the ability to share preset patterns. That would be killer.
Well, XO has the ability to save and load beats from the preset browser, and the selector at the top allows you to choose between All, XLN, or User, so I'd say that the ability to share preset patterns is already there. It's just that, as far as I can tell, no-one has gathered any presets together in one place. I don't know how long XO has been around, but seeing as the build number is currently 1.1.3, I suspect it must be a relatively young product.

I'll carry on searching the interwebs, but if anyone finds a motherload of gleaming XO beat presets, then feel free to reply to this thread 😉

Cheers 😀
As far as I know, User presets is just a way for us to access patterns/kits we created in XO. Right now there's no way to share your patterns with others in the XO format. However, a workaround would be exporting the midi but that's not really what I was talking about.

:tu:...
Last edited by Calenberger on Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JiggSaw wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:10 pm As far as I know, User presets is just a way for us to access patterns/kits we created in XO. Right now there's no way to share your patterns with others in the XO format. However, a workaround would be exporting the midi but that's not really what I was talking about.
I went into the preset browser as shown below...
Screenshot 2020-02-29 at 22.24.37.png
I then clicked on the "4 On The Floor" beat and then clicked the "Save as '4 On The Foor (1)'" button.

A file search revealed that this had resulted in a file called `4 On The Floor (1).XOPreset` being saved in the folder `/Users/carlca/Library/Application Support/XO/583031` (I'm on a Mac).

I then manually copied the `4 On The Floor (1).XOPreset` file and renamed the copy `4 On The Floor (2).XOPreset`.

When I restarted XO and wet back into the preset browser, there was `4 On The Floor (2)` in the list of available beats.

Unless I'm missing something, I think this shows that XO can save patterns to an accessible file and that it will scan and load new files in the same format.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

carlca wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:39 pm When I restarted XO and wet back into the preset browser, there was `4 On The Floor (2)` in the list of available beats.

Unless I'm missing something, I think this shows that XO can save patterns to an accessible file and that it will scan and load new files in the same format.
Note that both the `4 On The Floor (1)` and the `4 On The Floor (2)` beats were available to be viewed with the Show User filter active.

carlca wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:39 pm
JiggSaw wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:10 pm As far as I know, User presets is just a way for us to access patterns/kits we created in XO. Right now there's no way to share your patterns with others in the XO format. However, a workaround would be exporting the midi but that's not really what I was talking about.
I went into the preset browser as shown below...

I then clicked on the "4 On The Floor" beat and then clicked the "Save as '4 On The Foor (1)'" button.

A file search revealed that this had resulted in a file called `4 On The Floor (1).XOPreset` being saved in the folder `/Users/carlca/Library/Application Support/XO/583031` (I'm on a Mac).

I then manually copied the `4 On The Floor (1).XOPreset` file and renamed the copy `4 On The Floor (2).XOPreset`.

When I restarted XO and wet back into the preset browser, there was `4 On The Floor (2)` in the list of available beats.

Be aware that the preset files contains all settings, so not only the settings for the pattern.
It also contains the used samples. So it you use the preset on another computer where those samples are not available (meaning in the exact location and with the exact file name) you'll get an error. If you're only using samples from the XO Core Content you're safe.

A way to work around this is to delete the sample section for the preset. (The lines starting with GUI_SpiralObj_SLOT). When you open such a preset there's of course no preview and you have to assign samples first.
Another way is to overwrite the sample section with one that uses samples from the Core Contents.

If you purely want the sequencer pattern you have to copy all the GUI_Seq_ lines from the preset. You could save them and someone else could paste that into his of hers own presets file.
It's all very tedious and not user friendly so it would be nice if there was an import/export settings for patterns only or for presets as a whole, but without the sample section.

That's a really good point @Rivanni. I think I was filled up with too much optimism when I wrote these posts!

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 pm Man I hate time limited demos. Installed it at some point and didn't get around to using it properly. Opened it up the other day to give it a good run through while the sale was on and oops, time expired. That's it forever. How do companies not see that this type of demo can hurt sales? Sorry to be a downer on the fun....
The solution is, ask XLN for a 2nd trial, cool guys

babyblue wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:52 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 pm Man I hate time limited demos. Installed it at some point and didn't get around to using it properly. Opened it up the other day to give it a good run through while the sale was on and oops, time expired. That's it forever. How do companies not see that this type of demo can hurt sales? Sorry to be a downer on the fun....
The solution is, ask XLN for a 2nd trial, cool guys
They reset all their demos last week so that everyone can Try it again
It was on their Facebook page.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Full version is on sale at JRR (and other places, presumably).

$83.08 with code "group": https://www.jrrshop.com/xln-audio-xo
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:57 am Full version is on sale at JRR (and other places, presumably).

$83.08 with code "group": https://www.jrrshop.com/xln-audio-xo
Highly recommended at that price....I have found it a very useful and inspirational tool. :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Couldn't resist on that price... :/

Return to “Instruments”