Can't stop playing with XLN's XO...Is it just me?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hopefully they will get a bunch of new users and continue investing time in updating the sequencer- Its very good as it is, but with a bit of love it could be great!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:11 amHighly recommended at that price....I have found it a very useful and inspirational tool. :tu:
tuzemec wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:46 amCouldn't resist on that price... :/
I'm still on the fence. What would sway me over would be more extensive synthesis / sound-shaping options, really. But I also understands it's not the goal of XO, so it's hard to fault them...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

SLiC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:11 am
antic604 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:57 am Full version is on sale at JRR (and other places, presumably).

$83.08 with code "group": https://www.jrrshop.com/xln-audio-xo
Highly recommended at that price....I have found it a very useful and inspirational tool. :tu:
nice

i'm trying hard to not buy it, and keep telling myself that it'll be on similar discount on Black Friday, and we're facing a giant recession so i probably shouldn't be wasting money on plugins right now... where's that Atlas 1.5 update when you need it :D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Lots of bang for buck at that price...
ImageImageImageImage

Anyone making full songs with it? I'd love to hear your workflow.

JiggSaw wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:18 am Anyone making full songs with it? I'd love to hear your workflow.
Like with any workflow, everyone's will be different - some will use XO to play full internal sequences, some will send MIDI notes to it to trigger the selected samples, others will export the MIDI, or samples, or full even audio stem(s) to their DAW.

I guess the beauty is XO caters to all of those workflows.
Music tech enthusiast

JiggSaw wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:18 am Anyone making full songs with it? I'd love to hear your workflow.
I’m not (but you could), personally I export loops and stems for use in other programs (for me mainly in Bitwig).
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

XO is amazing and I am hoping XLN Audio continues to evolve it and make it even better.

antic604 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:38 am
Like with any workflow, everyone's will be different - some will use XO to play full internal sequences, some will send MIDI notes to it to trigger the selected samples, others will export the MIDI, or samples, or full even audio stem(s) to their DAW.

I mean yeah.. That's literally why I asked lol. There's so many ways to use it. So I wanted to see the workflow of someone using it to make a full song. Especially if they're using the internal sequencer since the 2 bar thing is very limiting. So seeing how people are working around those limitations might spark some ideas.

JiggSaw wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:51 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:38 am

I mean yeah.. That's literally why I asked lol. There's so many ways to use it. So I wanted to see the workflow of someone using it to make a full song. Especially if they're using the internal sequencer since the 2 bar thing is very limiting. So seeing how people are working around those limitations might spark some ideas.
You can get a surprising amount of variation with the 2 bar AB thing, but I simply get something I like- save it as a loop (intro for example) then re-tweak and save (say calling it 'Verse Loop') etc- sure you get the jist! - 4-5 of these- bang them in a folder- load 'em in Bitwig - more tweaking of the audio loops as per normal for further variance....its like a super fast original drum loop library maker!

JiggSaw wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:51 pmEspecially if they're using the internal sequencer since the 2 bar thing is very limiting. So seeing how people are working around those limitations might spark some ideas.
I think internal sequencer is only good to come up with some pattern and then you'd export it to MIDI, edit the MIDI clips as your song goes and trigger the sounds that way.
Music tech enthusiast

The Export window in XO can stay open and freely dragged around within XO while you edit your sequence or using the Beat Combiner. This is a pretty useful feature when you want to build (or dice roll) some quick variations and drag it to the DAW. Also solo's and mute's are instantly reflected in the Beat as MIDI.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm going to try some of them.

I am still using my DAW sequencer and sending midi into XO, usually.
For most of my purposes its the sweet spot for me, because I can still use all my DAWs sequencing functions, and still use all of XOs sample wrangling and playback functions.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Instruments”