Woodshedding during the quarantine

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've gotten the old classical guitar and some sheet music out from the closet and have actually started to practice some of the old favorites. :o

Anybody else taking the opportunity to try to tackle some of the more challenging guitar pieces, songs, tabs, etc.? 8)

:hug:

I do that normally. I've actually taken a break during this time.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Kind of. I was going to do something similar with flute, but haven’t even taken my concert flute out of it’s case - instead I spent time playing my bansuri (Indian flute), and spending some time playing my Xaphoon.

I’ve kind of had a love/hate relationship with the Xaphoon since I got it. Love the idea, but why it was designed with such a non-standard fingering I’ll never know. It’s just difficult to get used to playing it when it’s different from every other reed instrument.

A burn out left me with lots of free time.
Last year, I learned to fingerpick the anonymous "Spanish Romance" song again, in the course of a few weeks.
Then somehow I got into improvising again - something I'd hardly done in dozens of years, I seemed to have some kind of block, now blown away as my brain tries to find new ways to cope.
Which led to me writing new riffs - another thing I hadn't done in ages. But I prefer improvising :)

Well it can mostly just lead to realizing why it was put away in the first place. :cry: :hihi:

But there might just be something to giving it another try. Especially for stuff that's really kinda difficult

So far, it's been more of the first but I ain't giving up yet. :wink:

This is what I would do daily with the linnstrument. (it applies to guitar as well)

Pick a key of the day.
A few minutes of practicing ear training singing scales.
Practicing scale patterns up and down the neck for said key
Working out generic chord progressions in said key.
Find a song in BIAB selecting that same key and improvising.

It doesn't matter if you have BIAB or not there are many free and pay jam along tracks out on the market.

Then I'd play a few recent covers that I was working on.

I like Guitars and I have a Guitar. But, I do not know how to play. I hope you must have been an apprentice long ago. So, I would like to have some tips before starting Guitar playing. Are there any apps available to learn basic Guitar cords?

Amy Pang wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 am I like Guitars and I have a Guitar. But, I do not know how to play. I hope you must have been an apprentice long ago. So, I would like to have some tips before starting Guitar playing. Are there any apps available to learn basic Guitar cords?

Justin Guitar has lots of lessons.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

Amy Pang wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 am I like Guitars and I have a Guitar. But, I do not know how to play. I hope you must have been an apprentice long ago. So, I would like to have some tips before starting Guitar playing. Are there any apps available to learn basic Guitar cords?

The only thing stopping you is you.

Usually the more technique and theory one has learned, the easier it is to get through a piece of music. But when starting out my opinion is that it's best to find the tab or sheet music to stuff that you really like and try to develop the discipline to learn it. The joy of finally being able to play music you love is what I think unites guitarists of all genres.

GLTY. :wink:

Personally I avoid tabs like the plague - it’s almost impossible to learn an unknown piece from them. It’s better to learn to read music, as it’s so much more useful, and is universal from instrument to instrument.

just plug in, add fuzz, have fun.
the rest is jazz.

Fuzz makes everything 127% better

Just practicing scales against the devil(popularly know as the metronome)

Arghhh !
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

diabolical machination they are

Return to “Guitars”