What are good modes/scales for writing dark heavy electronic srtuff?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Locrian exists in Arabic music as a rare Iraqi Maqam : Maqam Lami.

+1 to the Arabic music. Exponentially more scalar possibilities. Same goes for the two classical traditions of Indian music. Or really, anything microtonal.

Another possibility is to use one scale for ascending, and another for descending -- the above musics use this extensively, but we only use it in melodic minor.

You could also just use whatever scales and chords suit the mood you want to evoke in a given section of a song. Western music was big on this until the Baroque, so there's even a legitimate precedent.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

tony10000 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:20 am Excluded from the church modes because of the tritone...the devil's interval.
Actually, there was a B to B mode. It was the 4th mode, or Hypo-Phrygian (Phrygian plagal). But the end note wasn't B but E (as it shared the same Finalis as to authentic mode - Mode of E). And the "dominant" was A, exactly to avoid the diminished fifth.
Fernando (FMR)

Also, there’s not really much evidence that the church avoided it as the “devil’s tone” - it was avoided to avoid dissonance when singing.

The “devil’s tone” term became more widely used during the Baroque period, but many composers from that period believed that the term was much older than it actually is.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:04 pm Also, there’s not really much evidence that the church avoided it as the “devil’s tone” - it was avoided to avoid dissonance when singing.

The “devil’s tone” term became more widely used during the Baroque period, but many composers from that period believed that the term was much older than it actually is.
theres also no proof that the devil had such a preference.
he is known to have a wide and varied taste in music.
not big on death metal or black metal, too many cliches, including the tritone, so...
also not a fan of mariachi.

I would assume the devil would want to punish us with music, so I assume Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift are more likely.

Forgotten:
I would assume the devil would want to punish us with music, so I assume Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift are more likely.
LOL, my first good laugh today!

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:10 pm
Forgotten wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:04 pm Also, there’s not really much evidence that the church avoided it as the “devil’s tone” - it was avoided to avoid dissonance when singing.

theres also no proof that the devil had such a preference.
he is known to have a wide and varied taste in music.
not big on death metal or black metal, too many cliches, including the tritone, so...
also not a fan of mariachi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpL_cR4re68

Forgotten wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:29 pm I would assume the devil would want to punish us with music, so I assume Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift are more likely.
rude!
hes the one who teases and entertains, the other feller does the punishing...

the heaviest scales I have encountered weighed pallets
-I'll get my coat

.666 works well as a delay, dunno if it sounds tantalising as a chord heh

Return to “Music Theory”