TotalEQ from Hornet Plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tendou wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:04 pm Whats the difference between this and Q3?
Well, price for starters - $30 vs. $179. Also TotalEQ doesn't seem to have sidechaining and/or masking, mid/side and 5:1 processing, doesn't have natural or linear phase & is missing lots of quality-of-life features. Having said that, the developer is pretty quick to address issues and add features.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:10 pm
Tendou wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:04 pm Whats the difference between this and Q3?
Well, price for starters - $30 vs. $179. Also TotalEQ doesn't seem to have sidechaining and/or masking, mid/side and 5:1 processing, doesn't have natural or linear phase & is missing lots of quality-of-life features. Having said that, the developer is pretty quick to address issues and add features.

Thx. I mean it looks interesting but I will stick with fabfilter 😅

Tendou wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:27 pm Thx. I mean it looks interesting but I will stick with fabfilter 😅
Well, if you already own Pro-Q3 then it's a no-brainer to just stick to it :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

i don't think there is a better EQ than Pro-Q3. anyone owning Pro-Q3 should pretty much forget about all other paragraphic EQ's in existence.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:27 pm i don't think there is a better EQ than Pro-Q3. anyone owning Pro-Q3 should pretty much forget about all other paragraphic EQ's in existence.
you might be right but I think slate infinity EQ can be a competitor as well DMG EQs

Tendou wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:32 pm
Burillo wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:27 pm i don't think there is a better EQ than Pro-Q3. anyone owning Pro-Q3 should pretty much forget about all other paragraphic EQ's in existence.
you might be right but I think slate infinity EQ can be a competitor as well DMG EQs
come back when Slate EQ stops crashing and the DMG EQ gets an interface as intuitive as Pro-Q3 8) (also, both of them don't have dynamic mode IIRC)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

One of the things I appreciate the most about TB Flx3 that is also available in Pro Q3 is the "natural" phase, a proprietary design that tries to marry the advantages of both linear and minimum phase. I imagine the implementation are slightly different, but the goal is the same, to reduce unwanted side effects and artifacts, and improve CPU and latency.

I have all faith in Saverio to continue to grow this EQ and very much look forward to trying out his new EQ at some point in the future. But I wanted to drop a note to say that this type of EQ has already been done exceedingly well by multiple companies, so we need to see a number of great features. I want to see the features grow, including various amenities like piano roll, natural/hybrid phase, 2 track analyzer, and some of the cool features others have like match EQ or auto EQ to a default curve (like Hornet 31).

Would also love to see this one excel where others didn't go, like having a few analog models to play with like Waves H-EQ, or more than one algo for the dynamic eq ballistics (like Smooth and Punchy). This would make it unique and more attractive than others in this space.

As promise I've released the 1.0.1 version that include these fixes:

Fixed eq frequency being half of what is displayed
Fixed output meters not displaying output gain change
General stability improvement
Fixed demo Audio Unit not validating

If you own the plugin you can download it from the user area on https://www.hornetplugins.com, otherwise feel free to try out the demo once again :)

Thank you
Saverio

Demo now passes validation in Logic (however the validation process took veeeery long).

First thoughts: there's some great potential in there! Performance while using it was overall good (some criticism see below), very fluid and smooth spectrum meter (unfortunately not a given with this kind of eqs), workflow was rather nice (again, more below) and sound-wise it seemed pretty solid as well.

Now for some things which I didn't like: first, inserting it on a track freezes Logic completely both during playback and on stop. Second, it would be really great if we could insert an eq band right there where we click in the spectrum (like on the pro-q for instance). At the moment, double-clicking anywhere above or below the flat line just inserts a band on the line, you have then to drag it up or down as you wish–that really slows down working with it. And finally, I would like to have more (well, in fact any) control over the dynamic mode. I mean, maybe after some while of working with it I will think that it always chooses the ideal threshold, ratio, attack, and release, but right now I just feel too dependent on how it's already set up in the background.

Nonetheless, with some more adjustments and fine tuning, I think this could become a very capable eq at a pretty much unbeatable price (as usual with their plugins :D ).

HoRNet wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:56 pm
Notheorem729 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:53 pm The number of issues I am having using this is far too long to list. There isn't a single thing that I can do without problems. Most of them I assume are interface issues because they involve lagging or freezing controls. I can't speak on the sound because I can't even get enough smooth operation out of this to test it. The auto gain generates continuous clicks as well. Not trying to sound negative. I am just trying to be honest and hopefully it will be helpful.
Could you please let me know your system spec and if you are on windows or mac?

thank you
Saverio
Sorry for the delayed response. I'm on windows 10. 64-bit using the most recent version of studio one. Everything on my system is up to date. I haven't tried the updated version of total EQ yet but the issues I was having earlier were different from what I am seeing others reporting. The nodes don't stay with the bands, the saturation slider will suddenly become unresponsive, and buttons will take repeated clicks before responding. The equal loudness clicking I mentioned earlier also of course. I'll try the newest version in in the morning.

Notheorem729 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:06 am
HoRNet wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:56 pm
Notheorem729 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:53 pm The number of issues I am having using this is far too long to list. There isn't a single thing that I can do without problems. Most of them I assume are interface issues because they involve lagging or freezing controls. I can't speak on the sound because I can't even get enough smooth operation out of this to test it. The auto gain generates continuous clicks as well. Not trying to sound negative. I am just trying to be honest and hopefully it will be helpful.
Could you please let me know your system spec and if you are on windows or mac?

thank you
Saverio
Sorry for the delayed response. I'm on windows 10. 64-bit using the most recent version of studio one. Everything on my system is up to date. I haven't tried the updated version of total EQ yet but the issues I was having earlier were different from what I am seeing others reporting. The nodes don't stay with the bands, the saturation slider will suddenly become unresponsive, and buttons will take repeated clicks before responding. The equal loudness clicking I mentioned earlier also of course. I'll try the newest version in in the morning.
Could you please confirm that this happens with the VST3? I think we have another bugfix coming soon that will fix this issue.

Saverio

Sounds good. I am rather close to epilepsy attack watching the analyzer

Hello. TotalEQ Demo VST3 can't be open in WaveLab Elements 10, it crashes the app as soon as it is instantiated. This is on macOS 10.13.6.

Sahul wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:24 pm Hello. TotalEQ Demo VST3 can't be open in WaveLab Elements 10, it crashes the app as soon as it is instantiated. This is on macOS 10.13.6.
Hi sorry for the issue, we have a fix coming out on Thursday for Wavelab.

Saverio

Hi Saverio, loving TotalEQ but in Reaper under Windows 10 using the VST x64 it takes about 3 or 4 seconds from hitting Play to Reaper actually starting to play. Take out TotalEQ completely and it's instantaneous.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

Return to “Effects”