Some new tracks made with the Korg Triton VST (Many genres)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

I listened to bits and pieces of each track. Took me a while to figure out what they sound like but I finally got it.

They sound like those canned demos that they used to load into synths from back in the 90s when all those workstations came out and each one had their own demo songs. In the early days, they weren't that great and sounded like band in a box karaoke night at the Polish polka festival.

On the plus side, you've nailed that sound. If you were around back then, you probably could have gotten a job programming those demos and made a lot fo money for Korg, Roland, Yamaha or whoever,

On the minus side, personally, for me anyway, I can't listen to this stuff. I would prefer to listen to elevator music, which makes me want to get out of the elevator as fast as possible.

I'm starting to think you're my age or maybe even older. I can't imagine anyone under 60 doing stuff like this.

Maybe there is an audience for this sound. Like I said, you nailed it. In fact, I've never heard it done better. But I simply can't listen to anymore of it.

I won't be commenting on your tracks anymore. I hate doing this because we both know how little response we get around here, but this music makes me remember how old I am (62) and it's not something I want to dwell on.

You seem to enjoy doing this stuff so please, keep doing it because, ultimately, the only thing that matters is what makes YOU happy. We (I especially) should be the least of your concerns. I used to care about doing stuff that people liked. Now, I do what I like and if others like it, great. If not, that's fine too.

Stick to your guns and good luck.

PS - Seriously, a little reverb and MAYBE this stuff would sound better. My meaningless 2 cents for whatever they're worth.

Actually I’m 22 (pretty surprising).
In foreign countries in Asia like where this music is from, it is popular to make songs that sound like cheesy demo songs from an old keyboard. Not Asian myself but into this kind of music.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Music Bird wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 pm Actually I’m 22 (pretty surprising).
In foreign countries in Asia like where this music is from, it is popular to make songs that sound like cheesy demo songs from an old keyboard. Not Asian myself but into this kind of music.
Really? Wow, you learn something new everyday. Is there are Youtube channel where I can hear some of this stuff? I'm asking because, maybe if I can hear it "professionally" produced, I can tell you what you'll need to do to get it to that level. Because right now, it sounds like something tossed together in someone's bedroom on a $200 laptop with a $25 DAW and free plugins.

So let me hear this genre (post some links) and I'll go do some comparative listening.

Okay, I put on the first one and I can IMMEDIATELY tell what the problem is.

Their mix is wide open with ambiance. The mix is amazing. It almost hides the music it's so good.

Your mix is boxy. There is no depth, space, anything. Download one of these tracks as reference and load it into your DAW and then compare the sound of your mix to theirs. If you can't hear the difference, I don't know what to tell you. It's night and day. This stuff almost sounds good to me, even though I still can't stand the cheezy music and probably couldn't listen to more than a few of these before having to stop. And good heavens, a 6 and a half minute track of THIS?

Don't get me wrong. I am not against Asian music. I love K-pop and even did a whole CD dedicated to the genre. But this stuff? I honestly don't know how people listen to this as a steady diet.

But anyway, work on your production. That's the problem. It isn't even close to this. They've got multiple volume levels, pans, verbs and other stuff going on in these things. They're masterfully mixed for what they are.

Okay, listened to the beginning of the 2nd track. Sounds nothing like the first. Sounds closer to K-Pop. Again, very well mixed and it doesn't have that cheezy accordion.

Okay, listening to the 3rd track. Closer to yours, though still mixed much better. But a big help is the vocals. Having vocals distracts from the music. Your tracks are all instrumentals so the only thing to focus on is the music and that cheezy accordion.

Maybe if you added some vocals these wouldn't be so bad.

But again, production, production, production. You don't get 35 million views with a lousy production. Also listen to the bass line on this track. These are pretty good musicians. The musical lines themselves are at least fairly complex and interesting, for what it is anyway.

Anyway, I don't think I need to listen to anymore. I get it. No, it's not my cup of tea and I'll never listen to this stuff again, but it doesn't make me feel like I'm listening to an in the box synth demo. These are well made.

I can’t tell what you mean by an accordion. I only hear a piano boom chick accompaniment in some of the songs I posted and some of the YouTube videos I posted. Is it because the backing rhythm section track was done on electronic organ sounding tones.

Edit: I watched some videos of the Roland V-Accordion and yeah, I see the similarities.

Music Bird wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:53 pm I can’t tell what you mean by an accordion. I only hear a piano boom chick accompaniment in some of the songs I posted and some of the YouTube videos I posted. Is it because the backing rhythm section track was done on electronic organ sounding tones.

Edit: I watched some videos of the Roland V-Accordion and yeah, I see the similarities.
I was referring to YOUR tracks with that cheezy accordion. There's, not so bad. It's either not there or covered up with the rest of the arrangement.

Please read what I wrote about the differences between their tracks and yours.

Return to “Music Cafe”