Combined name for a chord?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was playing a chord in the scale of C major with the notes being: C E G B F A. The name I can think of is C major 7 add 11 add 13.but I'm not sure if I can name such thing with two "added" pronunciation.What's the correct name of this chord? & why it should be named so?
Last edited by msf sadib on Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://pianolit.com/tools/chord-finder
AudioChordAnalyzer
midiChordAnalyzer
Funny thing is, I get a Csus4 with a 6th in the above picture.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:31 pm https://pianolit.com/tools/chord-finder
AudioChordAnalyzer
midiChordAnalyzer
Well I put notes on that website & choose C at Root & it showed all these names.How do I the Cmaj7 11 13 though?

Well I got the results.How do I name C major7 11 13 though? By added 11 added 13
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Looks like a C Maj 13 with the 9th missing.

Jan would give you an answer.

Another name for that group is
FMaj9#11
1/F, 3/A, 5/C, 7/E, 9/G, #11/B

I assume it's still good to use.

From an old Mel Bay book, and ChordwarePA chord finder.
Last edited by trewq on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:03 pm Looks like a C Maj 13 with the 9th missing.
That's the whole point dude.How do I name this then?

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:24 pm Jan would give you an answer.
Who is Jan Exactly?

The Noodlist wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:31 pm https://pianolit.com/tools/chord-finder
AudioChordAnalyzer
midiChordAnalyzer
Also it can't be a F maj 9 as F major scale has a flat B instead of B as 9th

trewq wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:39 pm A name for that group is
FMaj9#11
1/F, 3/A, 5/C, 7/E, 9/G, #11/B

I assume it's still good to use.

From a Mel Bay book.
That sounds logical.So in a sense you can't add two "add" terms to name a chords

Or just don't need to. I don't know. I've haven't seen two add terms used before. Or if I do see it, I'd like to assume it was given to an unnamed note cluster.

msf sadib wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:41 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:03 pm Looks like a C Maj 13 with the 9th missing.
That's exactly what I would call it. It's a 13th with a missing extended note - it's not uncommon in jazz to miss notes from chords, I would just say which one is missing.

msf sadib wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:49 pm Also it can't be a F maj 9 as F major scale has a flat B instead of B as 9th
Wouldn't G be the 9th?

The Noodlist wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 am
msf sadib wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:49 pm Also it can't be a F maj 9 as F major scale has a flat B instead of B as 9th
Wouldn't G be the 9th?
Sorry my mistake :P.Yes G is the 9th.What I meant to say is that chord can't only be a F major 9 chord as 9 chord has 5 notes.F major 9/C means F major chord with C as a bass.But then you would be missing one note in the chord.That would be B.So it has be more extended but note mere F major 9

Forgotten wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:32 pm
msf sadib wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:41 pm
Well I've never seen written "missing" in a chord name that's for sure
That's exactly what I would call it. It's a 13th with a missing extended note - it's not uncommon in jazz to miss notes from chords, I would just say which one is missing.

Return to “Music Theory”