Contest: April Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:36 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:30 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:28 pm im expecting a lot of death and doom dirges this month for some reason...
Not from me.
norwegian black metal? :o
Silent No Metal

booooo!

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:39 pmbooooo!
Actually, I should just play a distorted low C for 10 seconds and submit it. Probably won't do any worse than this month.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:54 pm
Actually, I should just play a distorted low C for 10 seconds and submit it. Probably won't do any worse than this month.
bit long ...

https://youtu.be/ybGOT4d2Hs8

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:56 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:54 pm
bit long ...

https://youtu.be/ybGOT4d2Hs8
Is that the whole song?

yeah, its a classic :hihi:the lyrics, as im sure you heard, are "you suffer, but why?" somewhat apt for the world today in my barless prison.

dont be so sure metal means what we assume, hellfog has been quite inventive with themes 8)

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:05 pm yeah, its a classic :hihi:the lyrics, as im sure you heard, are "you suffer, but why?" somewhat apt for the world today in my barless prison.

dont be so sure metal means what we assume, hellfog has been quite inventive with themes 8)
I'm not uncomfortable doing metal. I did a whole symphonic metal CD inspired by Within Temptation, albeit with Vocaloid Diva doing the Sharon den Adel vocals, which were a different kind of creepy, but honestly, it doesn't really matter what I do for these things. For reasons that I'm not going to get into, I never do well in these, even when I construct a carefully crafted, well mixed and performed song. It's discouraging and eventually you reach a point where you just can't do it anymore.

And yes, I already know what you're going to say. "Yeah, but it's fun to just make music. Who cares what others think? If you enjoy making music, make music."

Well, my answer is simple. I can make music without entering contests that do nothing but discourage me. It takes the fun out of making music. And when something takes the fun out of making music, you stop doing it.

So I'm done. I'll do my metal song, probably one of the last tracks on my "2020" CD, but no way in hell will I be submitting it. Because a song that I really loved doing, arguably one of the best things I've done, will now always remind me of this stupid contest and probably nothing else.

I don't need to subject anymore of my music to that.

fair enough.
we gotta do what makes us happy, and if the contest doesnt, dont do it.

symphonic metal...
have you heard sir christopher "dracula" lees symphonic metal album? :o

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:24 pm fair enough.

symphonic metal...
Can't say I have. I'll check it out.

symphonic metal...
You know what's funny? The first time I entered this contest, with a song that was thrown together, poorly mixed, and Vocaloid vocals to boot (DT flat out told me he hates Vocaloid) I came in 3rd and we had over 10 people that month.

Makes absolutely no sense.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:39 pm

symphonic metal...
You know what's funny? The first time I entered this contest, with a song that was thrown together, poorly mixed, and Vocaloid vocals to boot (DT flat out told me he hates Vocaloid) I came in 3rd and we had over 10 people that month.

well it depends who the voters are, the other tracks.
i put you high this month, others did too.

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:39 pm

symphonic metal...

well it depends who the voters are, the other tracks.
i put you high this month, others did too.
it's really a question of individual tastes - I usually listen to the songs through at least a couple of times each, then when I vote I listen to them in turn and make up my mind about order as I do it. It's nothing to do with the quality of any individual piece, it's more to do with how I rank them against each other.

Locks like hair Metal for me this month, which is ironic, as I do don't have any :ud:
I try to compensate with a beard, upside down head, sorry baldies. :ud:
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

What about prog rock? Clearly one of the ancestors of harder rock styles.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:17 pm I'm not uncomfortable doing metal...
So I'm done. I'll do my metal song, probably one of the last tracks on my "2020" CD, but no way in hell will I be submitting it. Because a song that I really loved doing, arguably one of the best things I've done, will now always remind me of this stupid contest and probably nothing else.
Funny coincidence that you say that.
I've been checking up on the themes in the contest and sometimes felt i would like to do that but...
Rules...commenting...
The vote numbers is enough of a comment and I'm not interrested in being a technician and do better productions.
Maybe just publish in Music Cafe to make them heard...
But then it's commenting again. I would like to see only three comments. Like it, could be better and shit. And yes, i would prefer an honest "shit" before technical advices.
Maybe there could be two different Music Cafes. One for those that's just interrested in inventing new songs and one for those that find the producing bit very important. If i come up with something worth producing i pay for-collaborate with/ somebody to do it.

Or keep them locked away in my head... :scared:

Return to “Music Cafe”