One customer just replied with a virus attachment!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I received a reply from a customer in a thread where we had a prior conversion. The reply said asked me to open a zip file with a password 111.

I of course opened it, and there was a doc file. Opened a doc file and nothing was there. Then I figured it out! Dropped that file in Virus total and bam, 36 detections. Damn! The good thing is that I was on macOS, but still I am doing a deep scan with an Antivirus Software too.

Just wanted to let you know that you should NEVER open a locked file in email since antivirus can't scan that file.

Did you have a similar situation, and do you have some protection methods in place for that?

Was this a KVR member?

If so, please report him/her.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

what a c**t.

Sometimes virus's can do that unbeknownst to the sender actually. *shrugs...

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:48 pm Was this a KVR member?
No, this was an email reply.

pekbro wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:09 pm Sometimes virus's can do that unbeknownst to the sender actually. *shrugs...
Indeed, I don't think that the guy who purchased my product sent a virus file, but probably his computer got infected.

I of course replied thatto him and deleted all our conversations for security reasons.

Just decided to wipe out that mac. It will take me a couple of hours to set it up, but better be safe than sorry. :)

What a hassle. :hug:

pekbro wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:09 pm Sometimes virus's can do that unbeknownst to the sender actually. *shrugs...
you are correct of course :oops:
rushing to assumptions.
idiot :smack: (i mean me, so mods, im not insulting anyone).

vurt wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:00 am idiot :smack: (i mean me, so mods, im not insulting anyone).

im self-flagellating myself

n.
self-punishment inflicted by whipping
Any excuse.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

:shrug: nowt else to do.

Track him down and beat his ass. It's the only way.
A well-behaved signature.

Corona virus and computer virus :( wonder whats next?!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

The sender address of an email has no meaning at all. It is extremely easy to fake.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”