My Questions about making music

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mozex wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:07 pm Yeah its all solely my fault, you people did nothing wrong right?
Sure, why not?

I made up my mind. I am not gonna suck you peoples ass just because I need your help. If I think someone threats me bad I will say it.
I am gonna continue with my music making and share it here. If you do not want to be part of my journey then its your choice, I am not forcing anyone with a gun to their head to help me. If you do, thank you, if you don't, thats also fine with me.
I need to balance myself, first I was to much a prick who thought he knew it all.
Then I became so humble that I asked to many questions and took up to much time of you all.
So now I am gonna be in the middle.
I will ask help, but not expect anything

But I will not suck you peoples ass
Heavenly Sounds Approved This.

Mozex wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:13 pm I will not suck you peoples ass
Thank God for that! :scared:

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:15 pm
I could do with a colonoscopy.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Especially with Corvid-19 around!

Nvm.
Last edited by TheMaestro on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:17 pm
Especially with Corvid-19around!
nyc banned it apparently.

ps: 19 of em? thats a murder

Edit. Posted in wrong topic, sorry bout that

Concerning Mixing and the well known Bass Problem: the first Thing you should consider I.m.O. is the overall Frequency Balance.

Most Bedroom Productions are dull. Too deep, overweighted in the Bottom.

Compare it to good Mixes, maybe also Pop Mixes, to get a Feeling for the Balance.

"Presence" and "Air" breathe Life into Tracks/Sounds and solve some Bss-Issues on the Fly.

Unfortunately ... treating this Spectrum and Balance is not as cheap as dull Systems like Reason or FL 😉

I have lately discovered that some Mastering Plugins offer automatic Frequency Balancing.

Try Hornet ThirtyOne's Auto EQ for Example. Cheap, simple and very helpful.

Tilt EQs are great btW and an Audio Example would be very helpful!

GRUMP wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:44 am Concerning Mixing and the well known Bass Problem: the first Thing you should consider I.m.O. is the overall Frequency Balance.

Most Bedroom Productions are dull. Too deep, overweighted in the Bottom.

Compare it to good Mixes, maybe also Pop Mixes, to get a Feeling for the Balance.

"Presence" and "Air" breathe Life into Tracks/Sounds and solve some Bss-Issues on the Fly.

Unfortunately ... treating this Spectrum and Balance is not as cheap as dull Systems like Reason or FL 😉

I have lately discovered that some Mastering Plugins offer automatic Frequency Balancing.

Try Hornet ThirtyOne's Auto EQ for Example. Cheap, simple and very helpful.

Tilt EQs are great btW and an Audio Example would be very helpful!
Thank you for the advice.

I solely use the plugins from Digital slate since they are in my sub I have... In the tutorial they also used those plugins...
I do not know if they have frequency balancing.

I have encountered the problem you speak of I think, the music being to deep (as in to low, like a blanket was put over it or like they were recorded under water) I never heared that problem untill I started to mix and master myself. Then the songs became a lot clearder.
I do not know if that is the problem you speak of of course, but if it is, that problem should be fixed with my newer productions. Take a listen in the My Ideas topic in music cafe, it contains two tracks I mixed and mastered myself. I understand I still need to learn a lot about it, but maybe the problem you speak of is not there?

I am now trying to finish a new track but tried all day yesterday already to master it and I tried so long and hard that at the end I had to stop because I could not hear anymore if it was good or bad lol. Trying to finish it now, after a good night of sleep.

A problem that occured was that my VBC (compressor) liked to make the beginning loud and when the drums kicked in the lowered the volume.
I found a solution to that by filtering the drum with a pass (high or low I do not know out of my head and to lazy to go see) so that the kick was always there but just the click. This seemed to solve the problem of my volume going down after kick dropped in.

Mozex wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:41 amA problem that occured was that my VBC (compressor) liked to make the beginning loud and when the drums kicked in the lowered the volume.
I know right? I hate it when tools behave in totally predictable ways. Perhaps you should learn how to use a compressor before trying to master your tracks :shrug:

I am doing my best. It can take years before I master it, you all said it yourself.

"Mastering" is not just inserting a compressor & limiter into the master bus. It's a separate form of art requiring other skills & equipment.

Concentrate on one thing, so for now it's better to don't do any mastering at all.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Mozex wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:52 am I am doing my best. It can take years before I master it, you all said it yourself.
Doing your best is one part of the equation. If your intention were to cycle from the East coast to the West coast, but you start travelling North, then it wouldn't matter how good you were cycling (doing your best), you'd never end up at your destination.

Mastering is the last 3%. It's the polishing, the finessing; It's the pretty bow on top of the gift. By the time you get to the mastering stage your mix should sound like it doesn't even really need mastering. It might just need some tightening of the bass dynamics (By a hair's breadth), or to be a little wider. And would obviously need limiting, to bring it up to current standards. That's it.

If you are spending hours on the last stage, then your mix is broken. And if you went to a professional mastering engineer they would likely send you away with certain instructions of what you'd need to do to the mix, to bring it to the stage where they can effectively do their job properly.

You need to start with learning your tools, thoroughly, and then learn/practice mixing. That's the part we've all been trying to tell you takes the real dedication, effort and time.
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Production Techniques”