macOS 10.5.4 ready for prime time?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or still unknowns in daw/plugin land?

What are your experiences?

Too old. Upgrade to at least Sierra.

10.15.4 sorry, How can I edit the thread title?

I would personally wait until the MacOS - Death Valley edition until upgrading. It will get rid of any problems if there should be any.
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

It depends. You really have to go through your plugins to see what's compatible (and in some cases what's still supported).

I still won't be upgrading just yet.

Good luck!

I upgraded to Catalina a week after release and have had no issues at all. Similar with all point releases since then.

Forgotten wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:23 pm I upgraded to Catalina a week after release and have had no issues at all. Similar with all point releases since then.
Which plugins you use?
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

Haptix wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:44 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:23 pm I upgraded to Catalina a week after release and have had no issues at all. Similar with all point releases since then.
Which plugins you use?
Various Native Instruments, various Arturia, various Korg, various Sugar Bytes, various iZotope, various Blue Cat Audio, Pianoteq, Microtonic, maybe a few others.

Haptix wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:56 pm I would personally wait until the MacOS - Death Valley edition until upgrading. It will get rid of any problems if there should be any.
:lol:

If you are upgrading, iZotope works fine. If you try to install iZotope on Catalina, you need to do manual workarounds for any older versions, as the installers are broken (Noteably: Ozone 8 ). For current versions, it works fine as long as you ignore the error message that pops up during most installs.

Plugins provided without installers do not work at all unless you de-quarantine them from Terminal. This is not a bug. It is by design, and will never be fixed. So, for example, Air Windows or Analog Obsession. It's not hard to fix, but it's annoying.

Everything else I have is working fine, including everything from Arturia, NI, U-He, Soundtoys, Fab Filter, Melda, Parawave, Vengeance, PA, Softube, Kilohearts, Eventide, Steinberg, Acoustica, TAL, Sonic Academy, and others.

As for DAWs, I can confirm that Logic, Bitwig, Ableton, S1, Reaper, and Reason are all fine.

thanks!

Most stuff works. However, several of the Lexicon bundles trigger security warnings in Catalina (and I think Mojave as well) - the ones that are affected are the effects and the LXP but not the PCM reverbs. Lexicon is supposed to be working on a fix but it's been quite a while since this surfaced and no fix yet. However, in some cases, it's isolated to the AUs - the VSTs on the effects bundle seem to pass unscathed.

Audio Damage had similar issues but a reinstall workaround does the job for them and I think they have a permanent fix either ready or almost there.

Frankly, other than the loss of 32bit compatibility, I was surprised by how much does work.

I think there’s a lot more fear that things will break on Catalina than is necessary

teilo wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:09 pm ...Plugins provided without installers do not work at all unless you de-quarantine them from Terminal. This is not a bug. It is by design, and will never be fixed. So, for example, Air Windows or Analog Obsession. It's not hard to fix, but it's annoying. ...
I was entirely unaware of this. Thanks for mentioning this. Why is this a thing? Mac OS has been a system that for ages hasn’t necessarily required installers. There’s usually no uninstaller mechanism for software, so having the demand for an installer, where companies can dump extra unneeded stuff on my system (like NI’s five different languages of PDF manuals), where i have to then hunt down and delete said unnecessary stuff, is annoying.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Forgotten wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:27 pm I think there’s a lot more fear that things will break on Catalina than is necessary
:lol:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”