RPM Challenge! Make some noise for the rewind! ('Wildcard' April challenge)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So we have to sign up again?

wagtunes wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:34 pm So we have to sign up again?
Everything you need to know is in the link I posted.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:36 am
Cool. Thanks. Looking forward to it. And will take my time this month. If I don't finish, I don't finish. Want this one to be good.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:47 am
Cool. Thanks. Looking forward to it. And will take my time this month. If I don't finish, I don't finish. Want this one to be good.
You can also choose a smaller challenge. I have chosen 'EP', as a 5-song/20-minute goal (minimum) seems like it will allow for a much more focused project, with much less pressure.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:59 am
You can also choose a smaller challenge. I have chosen 'EP', as a 5-song/20-minute goal (minimum) seems like it will allow for a much more focused project, with much less pressure.
I'd consider that but eh, what the heck. Gotta push myself a little. Oh, I did check out the link last night and saw that. Didn't read all the rules though. I just figured since I'd already signed up with the site in February that I was automatically elligible for any other contests. Of course you should never assume anything.

Now I have to go read to see if you're allowed to change your mind on the number of submissions or if once you choose something, that's it. You're locked in.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:26 pmGotta push myself a little.
Then why not push yourself to make the best five tracks you've ever made :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:03 pm
Then why not push yourself to make the best five tracks you've ever made :shrug:
Not likely to happen in 30 days. That's 6 days per track. Tracks I've spend a whole week on have been met with lukewarm receptions. I'd probably need 2 to 4 weeks for each track, with assistance from somebody like jonsolo to make sure they're my best stuff. In that case, I might as well just do the "single" option and submit one song.

Then there's the issue of spending a whole month on one song when life is so short as it is? Might as well not bother entering at all.

If I'm going to enter this contest, I'm going to do is so that it's enjoyable for me and not ending up making me feel like I wasted a month out of my life on something that most people might end up hating anyway.

Thanks, but I'll just do my own thing.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:36 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:03 pm
------------------------
------------------------
------------------------
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:36 pmNot likely to happen in 30 days. That's 6 days per track. Tracks I've spend a whole week on have been met with lukewarm receptions. I'd probably need 2 to 4 weeks for each track, with assistance from somebody like jonsolo to make sure they're my best stuff. In that case, I might as well just do the "single" option and submit one song.
It needn't be five tracks. It can be 20-minutes worth of music, instead. You could do a three-part classical work, for example.

And time spent is not the only factor involved in quality. A great track could indeed be made in a day, but another might also need a year. Compartmentalising it e.g seven days, good; two days, bad, makes no sense at all.

Also...while jonsolo no doubt gave you some good tips, following them does not equate to your best stuff. And sadly you seemed to have missed the greatest lessons he had to teach you.
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:36 pmThen there's the issue of spending a whole month on one song when life is so short as it is? Might as well not bother entering at all.
Yes! Life is short, and the end of the world is nigh! So move away from mediocrity, and do something worthy of all the years you've been doing this, or even just worthy of the time people will spend listening.
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:36 pmIf I'm going to enter this contest, I'm going to do is so that it's enjoyable for me and not ending up making me feel like I wasted a month out of my life on something that most people might end up hating anyway.
Interesting! I thought you no longer cared what people thought of your music.

It's a waste of time to keep making music that isn't a result of your best efforts. Results can't be guaranteed, but the effort you put in can be.
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:36 pmThanks, but I'll just do my own thing.
Of course you will :tu:

i am tempted again.
i had hoped the one thing lockdown would give me, is more time in the studio. i just cannot seem to find the inspiration to even open the door at present.

And actually, this is more like the attitude.

Prioritise "good" over finishing. If you're lucky, the two things will coincide. If not, then you'll perhaps have laid a great foundation that you can then continue to build upon :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 pm

Prioritise "good" over finishing. If you're lucky, the two things will coincide. If not, then you'll perhaps have laid a great foundation that you can then continue to build upon :tu:
And that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to write the best I can. If I finish, I finish. If I don't, I don't. I mean it's not like anybody really cares but me anyway.

vurt wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:49 pm i am tempted again.
i had hoped the one thing lockdown would give me, is more time in the studio. i just cannot seem to find the inspiration to even open the door at present.
Understandable. But maybe that'll change :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:08 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 pm

------------------
------------------
------------------
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:08 pmI'm going to write the best I can.
Your writing is not the issue. And yes, I know that you might be using "write" to encompass the whole process, but I think it's important to make the distinction. I keep coming back to this idea of honouring the music, recently (Not sure where I read about that, or even if I did read it). Your writing, for the most part, is really good. But you are so slack/lackadaisical in the execution, that you just throw it all away. And for what? Another musical notch on the studio wall?
wagtunes wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:08 pmI mean it's not like anybody really cares but me anyway.
Ever wonder how people might respond to your music if it actually seemed like, you yourself, cared? Why should anybody else care?

It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, really. If people don't like your material, then you won't put in the effort, which leads to less interest in your music. What you do doesn't even need to be great, but I think there'll be more interest if people think you are putting real love into it. And if people still don't like it, then you can at least know you did all you could.

I reckon I now listen to a handful of songs out of every hundred you record. It's not because I think they are going to be bad, per se. It's because I know you really just can't be arsed to put your best effort into them, and that you leave so much on the table.
I turned 48 in February. Can't be wasting my life like that :wink:

happy birthday belatedly :party:
old git.

Return to “Music Cafe”