XILS

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With the current XILS Lab sale on their two synths, XILS 4 and PolyM, Which one would you recommend I purchase?

As it is, PolyM looks extremely appealing but I'm not sure about the actual polyphony of PolyM and with XILS 4, how phat can this synth get? Would you consider it essential to pick up, especially with the current sale price?
Last edited by TechM3X on Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I don't like XILS's sound at all, but, that's probably because I wouldn't like the sound of the original either. PolyM sounded better to me, when I demo'd it. Personal preference. Not a huge fan of either, TBH.

PolyM is Paraphonic meaning divide down synced oscillators like a tonewheel organ. Polyphony is never an issue.

XILS 4 is based on a monophonic EMS VCS3 with more options and added polyphony.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

They are very different synths IMHO. XILS 4 is a very powerful virtual Synthi and has that Synthi sound. It requires a lot of knob fiddling and experimentation. There are a lot of options. Poly M is more of a "players synth", much easier to use and dial in sounds quickly. XILS has a mid-70 sweet thin sound, and Poly M a fuller rich sound. They are so different that it comes down to what suits your music better. You might find a use for both.

You might want to edit your title to XILS

plexuss wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:07 pm They are very different synths IMHO. XILS 4 is a very powerful virtual Synthi and has that Synthi sound. It requires a lot of knob fiddling and experimentation. There are a lot of options. Poly M is more of a "players synth", much easier to use and dial in sounds quickly. XILS has a mid-70 sweet thin sound, and Poly M a fuller rich sound. They are so different that it comes down to what suits your music better. You might find a use for both.

You might want to edit your title to XILS
Duly noted Sir!

I think they're both fine synths, but as others have said, they (like their hardware sources) appeal to different musical goals; XILS 4 is fantastic for the wilder, experimental side of old-school analog, and more suited for one-key soundscapes or raw, punchy leads and basses than ethereal pads or 12-voice chords. PolyM works for polyphonically oriented patches like keys, synth, brass, pads, strings, etc. that benefit from an analog "retro" flavor.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

they both have demo versions, no?

I’ve been thinking about getting PolyM, but I see nothing about a sale. I’ve already got XILS 3. I never moved to 4 because it was mostly so CPU heavy that it wouldn’t really run in a lot of my projects. Of course, you don’t have to use it that way. Both sound fantastic, IMO. XILS 3 is more of a traditional mono synth with a pin matrix instead of a mod matrix, which is frankly kind of annoying. No need to really copy that. Just make a nice mod matrix control like a thousand other plugin instrument. But the sound is great, IMO.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

To OP : Most people will see Xils 4 performing better as a -possibly- quirky and research ony modular monosynth, because of the aura and legacy of it's mono ancester -EMS Synthi VCS3-, but it can also be used as a very powerfull polyphonic synthesizer, with a level of details, timbral richness, very few synths can achieve. Otoh, PolyM ( PolyMoog) will be merely seen as a fat ready to play poliphonic monster, as ... well ... that's what its ancester was mainly used for. But it's also very efficient for a lot of specific and unique patches, including mono and leads, due to the plethora and diversity of filters,layering abilities, and paraphonic engine. So .... imo both could serve you very well.

Now they sound different. And here are some audio exemples which maybe will help you choose between the two.t

1rst the XIls 4, with it's 14 oscillators, numerous envelopes, filters etc.

Future of analog 1
Future of analog 2
Future of analog 3

More audio demos here
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

TechM3X wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:51 pm With the current XILS Lab sale on their two synths, XILS 4 and PolyM, Which one would you recommend I purchase?
What sales ???

btw
Has anybody NKS properly working on the Xils Syn'x 2 vst ??
Mapping is all wrong as far as I can see.

Email from Xils about last call for the new year sale says
Keep tuned:
something new is coming soon!
Any chance of another first to guess the product wins the product competition???

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

i can't access your website Lotuzia
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr/catalog/down_ ... enance.php

FotoxBr wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:55 pm
TechM3X wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:51 pm With the current XILS Lab sale on their two synths, XILS 4 and PolyM, Which one would you recommend I purchase?
What sales ???

btw
Has anybody NKS properly working on the Xils Syn'x 2 vst ??
Mapping is all wrong as far as I can see.
Though I could install Syn'x2 without problems on my Mac mini M1, it runs and sounds fine, and looks good, unfortunately the NKS knobs mapping is still the same mess, unusable !!!

carrieres wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:26 pm i can't access your website Lotuzia
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr/catalog/down_ ... enance.php
Down for a really sad reason. RIP Lotuzia

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Instruments”