Woodshedding during the quarantine

August 2019 is the first KVR Guitar Month so here's a new forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Forgotten
KVRAF
11472 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:35 pm

Working my way through Bohemian Rhapsody - finding the part after the second verse pretty awkward to play still.

rp314
KVRAF
2770 posts since 25 Mar, 2006 from The city by the bay

Re: Woodshedding during the quarantine

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:44 pm

Aye there's the rub-I've been practicing some Renaissance and Baroque guitar pieces and no matter how short and seemingly simple they might appear to be, there's always some part where the transcription from the Lute or keyboard instrument results in challenges that make one want to do something else.

Forgotten
KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:38 pm

I’m playing it on the same instrument though, and while some of the parts are relatively easy, Freddie Mercury composes some parts that are really difficult to play without using a very non-standard crossing of fingers at speed.

tapper mike
KVRAF
5361 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:48 pm

Time to expand your technique.

Music teaches us one thing- Delayed Gratification.

You'll always get what you've always had if you always do the same thing the same way.

For decades I wanted to have proper classical left hand technique. I'd try a little, get frustrated and go back to a comfort zone playing the way I always did. I finally said to myself enough is enough. I'm not going to fingerpick if I don't do it right. There was lots of struggle getting my arm, wrist, hand and fingers into the correct position and maintaining it. Eventually it took root.

You may be able to achieve your goal by stepping back and studying the mechanics of motion that he applies. There are plenty of YT teachers giving this type of information away. They also teach via skype. They will watch you and give you feedback when you aren't using the proper technique. They will encourage you and tell you to slow things down so that they become second nature as you speed up.

rp314
KVRAF

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:34 pm

Well, we've actually had some KVR members for whom the challenges I was referring to would be close to nothing, so I know that it generally does always come back to Love and Devotion. You gotta put in the work.

And there are some transcriptions that for whatever reasons seem to me to flow more 'naturally'. For example, I was just playing Ludovico Roncalli's Passacaglia (which was famously orchestrated by Respighi in Ancient Airs and Dances).
Last edited by rp314 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forgotten
KVRAF

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:38 pm

Spent some time playing acoustic over the past few days, as I haven't picked one up in standard tuning for quite a while.

My fingertips really need to get used to this again...

tapper mike
KVRAF

Post Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:17 pm

I put 95 percent of my energy musical energy into the linnstrument these days.....

Back in the 90's I wanted to shred like YM, Studied his materials, practiced for hours. Came to hate the harmonic minor scale more than I did previously. I just don't like it's character. Anyway I got my chops down and then decided I'd rather focus on other things.

After two weeks of giving the guitar a rest. I pick one up and notice the action his higher than usual. Generally I like my action extremely low. But this time I played it and I thought it's higher than usual but I'm not having any problems getting around so I'll leave it.

Then I think about possibly transcribing some of the YM scale patterns from guitar to the LS. If I could only remember them. I start on the Linnstrument and try to use my imagination on adopting without looking at sheets. Total failure. So I go to that same guitar and try to remember the patterns to work them out and then transfer the ideal. Again total failure. The first thing that I chose to blame it on was the action.

Every day I try to focus on something to do that will push me into video performance again. I"ve been rearranging my studio
s1.jpg
While I do have plenty of audio and video software as well as many accessories putting things together for a final mix I have no idea how I'm going to achieve that at this point. My hard disk recorder/mixer does not have usb out. I'm going to have to run everything into it and use it as a stereo out line mixer into my computer. I can't afford a simple 4 channel external sound card. And I've heard enough camcorder / phone videos to know it's not the sound source I want for my videos.

So tomorrow is...Guitar string change and setup day. First I figure out which guitars are going to get a string change. I don't have enough for all of them, Then work on complete setups. Then try to get some chops down. Followed by the next day of getting my studio fully functional (may take two) Then doing some test runs. Oh yeah. Still need to work out some ideas for the "Licks for Linnstrument" series.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tapper mike
KVRAF

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:38 pm
Spent some time playing acoustic over the past few days, as I haven't picked one up in standard tuning for quite a while.

My fingertips really need to get used to this again...
After doing a setup on one of my Jazz boxes. God am I rusty and my fingers hurt like mad. Then again it was one of my newer boxes that I hadn't quite become fully acclimated to playing before. May have to switch to one of my slim neck fast action solid bodies while I buid up calouses and dexterity. Never did fingerstyle jazz on my Jackson Dinky.

Jafo
KVRAF
1988 posts since 20 Dec, 2002 from The Benighted States of Trumpistan

Post Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:46 pm

Mostly working on ear-training and freeing myself even more from the whole shredding thing -- I never liked it anyway.
Joy and kindness are acts of resistance -- fight the power!

rp314
KVRAF

Post Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:27 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:51 pm
Personally I avoid tabs like the plague - it’s almost impossible to learn an unknown piece from them. It’s better to learn to read music, as it’s so much more useful, and is universal from instrument to instrument.
Don't wanna derail my own thread but although I pretty much agree with your advice I will say that over the years I have come across so many typos or questionable arrangements in sheet music (more so in the realm of popular and contemporary music, of course) that if you're on your own both can have their issues.

When you have access to the source material and enough music theory to do it yourself, then it's not too difficult to double check an arrangement if it seems like something ain't right.

The Noodlist
KVRAF
2409 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:48 pm

Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral:

vurt
addled muppet weed
65446 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:57 pm

much to my neighbours annoyance, ive been practicing both the shruti box (actual wooden real one with no volume control....) and throat singing :)
i say "throat singing" it seems, thats just how i sing :o
unless of course im a little high,then i slip in to tom hardy/bane singing bowie :hihi:

rp314
KVRAF

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Throat singing might actually help to get rid of a dry cough.

And, of course, there's always the spiritual dimension to all of this...:wheee:

tapper mike
KVRAF

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:27 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Personally I avoid tabs like the plague - it’s almost impossible to learn an unknown piece from them. It’s better to learn to read music, as it’s so much more useful, and is universal from instrument to instrument.
I love tablature. I just think that you have made up your mind to hate it so you do.

Oddly tablature predates the standard notation we use today by about 100 years. They have both gone through changes.

I read tablature better than I do notation and I've been reading both since the 70's, That being said I stopped reading notation in the mid 90's and only restarted reading notation about two years ago.

If I know the key usually that's the only foot in the door I need. My relative pitch starts in and I can glide over the rest.

Forgotten
KVRAF

Post Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:20 pm

tapper mike wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:27 pm
Forgotten wrote:
I love tablature. I just think that you have made up your mind to hate it so you do.
No, I quite clearly said why I don't like it, so why do you feel you have to say that?

Return to “Guitars”