UVI Falcon alternatives?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good to see a shout out for Blue II by Rob Papen on the first page of this thread. I've recently been re-exploring this little beauty and Rob's latest videos help a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... MEttb_TuVN

After clicking on that video, click on the 'youtube' section on the bottom right to take you to the full playlist and the most recent videos where Rob explains Blue II in more depth. It's a must watch for anyone that has this synth.

I couldn't deal with the copy protection for Falcon, and I nearly bought it a couple of times, but it's just a no go for me. Lost sale. I like it a lot. But I have enough to be getting on with now.

I would suggest that the only real alternative is Halion 6 by Steinberg. It's a monster. Yes, it's expensive, but worth every penny if you have it. I was skint and got a crossgrade for just over a hundred quid. That's dirt cheap for what you get.

There are pros and cons between Falcon and Halion of course, and no one explains them better than the mighty Simon Stockhausen.

Here you will find his playlists for both Halion and Falcon. Both tutorials and reviews and also sound design and patch stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sampleconstruct/playlists

I think any question you might have will have already be answered by this master. And if it isn't, I hear he's a pretty reasonable bloke to shoot a question to if you did your homework.

I came very close to buying Falcon. Halion 6 is not a total replacement for it, though it goes a long way.

Not many people know about Halion 6, even clued in and autistic bods like me that obsess over software. Steinberg f**ked up big time in the marketing for Halion. It's a truly incredible instrument and you dont' even need a dongle.

Very few people realise the power of Halion 6. They wrongly assume it needs a dongle to work. It's also very expensive to buy unless you do a crossgrade. If you have a recent version of Kontakt (and also other samplers which I forget now) you can qualify for the crossgrade. It's still expensive, but if you wait for one of Steinberg's 50% off sales, that gets you it for about a hundred bucks.

It's pretty much the most powerful software available right now if you like to mess about with different forms of synthesis and combine them in to original units. It also is a good medium to make stuff up and sell what you do. If you have a bit of a background in GUI design or just a flare for interesting graphics, you could go a long way with Halion 6. And they don't rape you the way Native Instruments do either (coz they have the monopoly with Kontakt).

Steinberg have been around from way back in the day. When they were the only game in town. And sure they gamed that, and sure they took advantage. But it's a new day. Steinberg have been making inroads to consolidating their various well proven tech and reaching out to the little people like us here on KVR. Still not perfect. But at least they are not so bat shit crazy insane out of touch like NI are.

I'm going to be supporting them all I can. Even to the point of buying hardware. Their moves towards abandoning the dongle are to be applauded. Maybe Cubase will follow suit, who knows...

Halion 6 was the best alternative to Falcon I could find. I don't see that there is anything else that really compares.

It was only the fact that Falcon uses a shitty protection scheme that led me to Halion 6. But I got there in the end, and I now own a copy of it, after jumping through the hoops Steinberg require to get a crossgrade. A hundred bucks is nothing for this state of the art software.

There's a demo of Halion if you want to check it out for yourself.

Things in life come full circle. And I get the feeling that it's Steinberg's time again.

Like Charlie Steinborg says: You will be assimilated!

:borg:

Halion uses e-licenser
Falcon uses ilok ( license ) , both ( c.p.) equally suck
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

codec_spurt wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 pm There are pros and cons between Falcon and Halion of course, and no one explains them better than the mighty Simon Stockhausen.
I agree with you regarding the power of Halion 6. Its wavetable synthesis engine alone is worth the money.
But if you want to learn the software 100% inside out from a real master then I recommend the
SWA Masterclass HALion 6 by Walter Hunnicutt:
https://streamworksaudio.com/tutorials/ ... -halion-6/

There is absolutely nothing that comes even close to his tutorials if you are serious about learning the software properly and getting the most out of it. It´s a paid product however but he is offering frequent sales.

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:23 pm Kontakt has a scripting engine that can get you really great results... I don’t think Falcon has anything that’s that advanced... I might be wrong one that.
Oh yes we have
https://www.uvi.net/uviscript/

Better than kontakt script if you ask me :)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

codec_spurt wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 pm I would suggest that the only real alternative is Halion 6 by Steinberg. It's a monster. Yes, it's expensive, but worth every penny if you have it. I was skint and got a crossgrade for just over a hundred quid. That's dirt cheap for what you get.

There are pros and cons between Falcon and Halion of course, and no one explains them better than the mighty Simon Stockhausen.

Here you will find his playlists for both Halion and Falcon. Both tutorials and reviews and also sound design and patch stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sampleconstruct/playlists

I think any question you might have will have already be answered by this master. And if it isn't, I hear he's a pretty reasonable bloke to shoot a question to if you did your homework.

I came very close to buying Falcon. Halion 6 is not a total replacement for it, though it goes a long way.

Not many people know about Halion 6, even clued in and autistic bods like me that obsess over software. Steinberg f**ked up big time in the marketing for Halion. It's a truly incredible instrument and you dont' even need a dongle.

Very few people realise the power of Halion 6. They wrongly assume it needs a dongle to work. It's also very expensive to buy unless you do a crossgrade. If you have a recent version of Kontakt (and also other samplers which I forget now) you can qualify for the crossgrade. It's still expensive, but if you wait for one of Steinberg's 50% off sales, that gets you it for about a hundred bucks.

It's pretty much the most powerful software available right now if you like to mess about with different forms of synthesis and combine them in to original units. It also is a good medium to make stuff up and sell what you do. If you have a bit of a background in GUI design or just a flare for interesting graphics, you could go a long way with Halion 6. And they don't rape you the way Native Instruments do either (coz they have the monopoly with Kontakt).

Steinberg have been around from way back in the day. When they were the only game in town. And sure they gamed that, and sure they took advantage. But it's a new day. Steinberg have been making inroads to consolidating their various well proven tech and reaching out to the little people like us here on KVR. Still not perfect. But at least they are not so bat shit crazy insane out of touch like NI are.

I'm going to be supporting them all I can. Even to the point of buying hardware. Their moves towards abandoning the dongle are to be applauded. Maybe Cubase will follow suit, who knows...

Halion 6 was the best alternative to Falcon I could find. I don't see that there is anything else that really compares.

It was only the fact that Falcon uses a shitty protection scheme that led me to Halion 6. But I got there in the end, and I now own a copy of it, after jumping through the hoops Steinberg require to get a crossgrade. A hundred bucks is nothing for this state of the art software.

There's a demo of Halion if you want to check it out for yourself.

Things in life come full circle. And I get the feeling that it's Steinberg's time again.

Like Charlie Steinborg says: You will be assimilated!

:borg:
This is a great summary. Halion 6 does have a wonderful wavetable setup, including the ability to set up a string of insertable waves in a row. In mid-February there was a 50% sale on it; so with some patience for the next sale, the price is worth waiting for.

I just wanted to mention to the OP, that I too am Ambient and Atmospheric... I love Falcon and got it on sale for $249 and it came with their $100 voucher as well. I bought their Ether Fields and Plurality expansion packs with the voucher.

The other day, someone on another post here mentioned the Voklm expansion pack. Several weeks ago, I quickly listened to a couple of their samples on the Voklm page and wasn't impressed...

After reading what the poster said about Voklm, I revisited the page and gave a thorough listen of the extension pack... and ended up buying it. Of all the packs I've bought, Voklm is the most amazing, detailed, and well put together extension pack of all that I purchased. It is simply stunning. I'm so glad I went back for another listen.

After installing Voklm in Falcon, I tested each of all the presets, and I could only find 3-4 that I wasn't crazy about, but they still sounded nice. I love all the presets and they will open the imagination for sure in Ambient and Atmospheric music. The pads are simply amazing. So deep, well thought out, and pristine.

Like someone else mentioned... I would bite the bullet on getting Falcon. It may be pricy, but if you wait for their sale, it is a steal... and even if you pay full price, it is worth it. I can't say that of other VST's I've purchased, Falcon is a keeper.
Coronal Winds Radio - Tune In!
Remember, what you believe doesn't rewrite reality.

codec_spurt wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 pm Good to see a shout out for Blue II by Rob Papen on the first page of this thread.
Enthusiastically agree. Blue 2 is easily in my top 10 synth list, maybe even top 5. It deserves a whole lot more love than it seems to get, so it's gratifying to see a few other fellow fans.

Just buy Falcon, there are no alternative (other than UVIs free player) that give you access to UVIs amazing library of Instruments ‘within’ an amazing synth, sampler and fx engine...it is totally unique in that regards.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

There is actually a good alternative from MOTU called Mach 5, essentially Falcon and Mach 5 are the same software. One owned by UVI and the other by MOTU. Both originally developed by UVI.

Technically Mach 5 is more expensive, but you can find it used occasionally for super cheap.

Mach 5 hasn’t been updated since Falcon came out and Falcon is now upto version 2.07

Of course Falcon is better, but Mach 5 is still most of the way there, so as an alternative to Falcon I think
its pretty good. I've seen it for sale used here for under $100 pretty sure.

pekbro wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:43 am Of course Falcon is better, but Mach 5 is still most of the way there, so as an alternative to Falcon I think
its pretty good. I've seen it for sale used here for under $100 pretty sure.
Mach Five was (is) the ancestor of Falcon. Although a MOTU product, it was developed by UVI, and Falcon was born out of its concepts and basic workflow.

Therefore, I think it would be pointless to go back to Mach Fivem since Falcon is, in fact, the "upgrade" of Mach Five. If there's something in Mach Five that someone misses in Falcon, it would be better to point UVi to that, and ask them to implement it. My impression is that Mach Five will slowly fade away in the current state.
Fernando (FMR)

otristan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:39 am
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:23 pm Kontakt has a scripting engine that can get you really great results... I don’t think Falcon has anything that’s that advanced... I might be wrong one that.
Oh yes we have
https://www.uvi.net/uviscript/

Better than kontakt script if you ask me :)
Yes, and it's built on Lua, so it's also pleasant to use.

Falcon is fckin amazing. I was going to buy Waldorf Iridium until I put my hands on Falcon. After some intermmediate training I was building the sounds of my dreams and I'm still starting.

There are terrific expansions like Richard Devine's and Ether Fields and you can even play orchestral/cinematic stuff here. It's my only synth now.

This and Kontakt are the 2 greatest plugins IMO.

enCiphered wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:16 am
codec_spurt wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 pm There are pros and cons between Falcon and Halion of course, and no one explains them better than the mighty Simon Stockhausen.
I agree with you regarding the power of Halion 6. Its wavetable synthesis engine alone is worth the money.
But if you want to learn the software 100% inside out from a real master then I recommend the
SWA Masterclass HALion 6 by Walter Hunnicutt:
https://streamworksaudio.com/tutorials/ ... -halion-6/

There is absolutely nothing that comes even close to his tutorials if you are serious about learning the software properly and getting the most out of it. It´s a paid product however but he is offering frequent sales.
If you speak German - this is what you may be very interested in tutorial wise :
https://audio-workshop.net/shop/halion- ... ic-praxis/
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Return to “Instruments”