Basic Tips for Patch Designers

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whether we are talking amp sim suites or multieffects, one of the quickest ways to make great sounds on your amp is through patches that some thoughtful users have contributed on the internet. If only all of the contributors were thoughtful. Fortunately I have provided a few tips:

1. Set consistent volume levels. Try to set your volumes to be consistent with those of the factory patches. Nobody wants patches they can barely hear, nor do they want to blow out speakers while switching patches.

2. You probably need less distortion than you think. If you use a high gain pedal dimed into a high gain amp, it's not going to sound brutal, it's just going to sound noisy. Maybe try a lower gain pedal in front of the high gain amp, and use your higher distortion pedals with low to mid gain amps.

3. Use a noise gate. Wait, I take that back, don't. If I hear a lot of noise when I switch to your patch I can be fairly sure you broke rules #1 or #2.

4. You probably need less reverb than you think. Here's a good way to check if you have too much reverb. Find a stock "surf" patch. If your patch has more reverb than that, and "Pipeline" is not in your set list, feel free to tone down the reverb levels.

5. Don't overuse delay either.

6. Learn how to use EQ. For example, if the patch sounds like an iceberg in your ear, try turning down some of the higher frequencies. (You may ignore this advice if you are trying to get the authentic lead tone from "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin).

7. If you are trying to recreate the sound of a classic track, try finding out what equipment was used on that track and try to use emulations that are close to what was originally used.

8. Understand that the order you put effects in makes a difference. Some things are a matter of taste, such as whether you prefer wah before or after distortion. Other things less so. For example, putting a compressor immediately after a volume pedal is counterproductive, and in most cases you don't want distortion after an amp.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Return to “Guitars”