EM-U MO Planet Phatt (question)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Emu Planet Phatt - is it just a loop machine or can you use the single drums sounds to program your own rhythm in a piano roll etc.? I'm slightly confused :lol:

Its a rompler, so you can definitely program your own. There are some loops on there made from the same sounds as well.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

It was actually the loops that confused me since they're all that people seem to audition on YouTube. Good to know it's a bit more versatile than that.

Oddly enough, I've never been much into hiphop genres, but the Planet Phatt is one of my guilty pleasures. It has a selection of cool and usable waveforms that I still love working with. Got one here hooked up ready to go, so if you have any questions let me know and maybe I can help you.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I have the keyboard version (MK-6) from the Proteus 2000 generation. As well as kits there are some useful patches that are "all kicks", "all snares" etc. So you can map a kit over several midi channels and then use transpose/region to select different pieces.

Hopefully there's a list of presets and "waveforms" (i.e. ROM banks) out there in a manual for this series, I think Planet Phatt is the previous generation.

DrGonzo wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:51 am Oddly enough, I've never been much into hiphop genres, but the Planet Phatt is one of my guilty pleasures. It has a selection of cool and usable waveforms that I still love working with. Got one here hooked up ready to go, so if you have any questions let me know and maybe I can help you.

/C
I will :-) Don't have one yet but I'm looking into both the Planet Phat as well as the Emu Orbit.

imrae wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 am Hopefully there's a list of presets and "waveforms" (i.e. ROM banks) out there in a manual for this series, I think Planet Phatt is the previous generation.
Maybe not exactly what you mean, but I did these files for creating patch selectors using my MP-7. In the zip are files for Mo Phatt & Orbit-3. They are in patch order, and format is like this:
bts:Becky Boise ,0,0,0
Category:Name, Bank select 0, Bank select 32, Patch number

The files have the extension '.edt', but are plain text.
EMU_Patch_Edit_Files.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For those who don't have access to the E-MU hardware romplers, there is a comprehensive sample library based on the original sample waveforms (not sampled hardware): https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/pro ... teus-rack/

outerspacecat wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:18 pm For those who don't have access to the E-MU hardware romplers, there is a comprehensive sample library based on the original sample waveforms (not sampled hardware): https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/pro ... teus-rack/
An interesting concept but it looks more like a preset player than anything else. Can you even make your own sounds with it?

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:01 pm
outerspacecat wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:18 pm For those who don't have access to the E-MU hardware romplers, there is a comprehensive sample library based on the original sample waveforms (not sampled hardware): https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/pro ... teus-rack/
An interesting concept but it looks more like a preset player than anything else. Can you even make your own sounds with it?

/C
Those samples are a very crude approximation of the EMU sounds as they come without any modulation which is a big part of the EMU sounds. They sound dry, lifeless and thin. The hardware sounds way way better.

If you want to get the sounds in software your best bet is to seek out Emulator X3 and use the banks for this. These sound very close to hardware and have all the modulation programmed in.

The best of the hardware modules, imho, is the Extreme Lead. Of course, as all the Proteus series share the same architecture the best way is to get one of them and install other expansion ROM banks into it.
No signature here!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”