Tough choice narrowing down some monitor speakers. €2000 budget

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on the forum for ages, just never bothered to make an account as most information is already available but I think case I do need some help with the choice I currently have to make.

I'm using for 12+ years now the Dynaudio B5MA MKII and I feel it's time for a new pair of monitors. One that have a better low and clarity, which I'm missing in the BM5a now.

My studio is measured and treated accordingly with bass trapps and panels, size is about 5mx3x2.4m and listening position can very between 1m to 1.5m if needed, but I currently sit at 1m distance.

Budget is about 2000 euro's for a pair.

Monitors I have in my thoughts are;

1) Dynaudio LYD-48 (€890 each)
2) Eve Audio SC307 (€969 each)
3) Focal Shape Twin (€695 each)
4) Focal Twin 6be (used pair €1200 each or new €1500)

I'm sceptical with used pairs as I have no idea what the previous owner did with them, plus I can't compare them to other of the same type to see if the sound coming from them are still as intended.

Optional but more expensive and I prefer not to go this way, unless the speaker is much better (looking at Trio6?)

1) Focal Trio6 (€1799 each, slightly used)
2) Neumann 310A (New each for €1499)

I do not have to option to listen all of them in my studio room side by side as I need to buy all of them and pay upfront and return the ones I don't like. Adding up all the speakers it's a big price which I cannot affort. Currently all shops are closed for listening and they anyway always sound different than at home.

I'm producing EDM music (Trance mostly) so I'm really looking for honest and clarity in all three ranges with a good low end without the need for a sub.

I hope to read some thoughts from you guys to narrow down my search more.

Thanks for your time!

Edit: I think LYD-48 or EVE SC307 might be a good option, otherwise I think I need to look more expensive ones that are atleast €1600 each? (Neumann, Eve SC3070, Hedd 20?) Anyways let me hear some thoughts. :)

Compare what room adjustment each alternative offer - might single some out.
Ability to adjust if close to a wall - often 150-300Hz range.

To pay more for something that not work well in your space is less bang for buck.

It’s a very subjective thing choosing monitors. My personal favorites after having owned - Genelec various models, PSI, Westlake, Quested, NS10, Tannoy - and having demoed Neumann and some other high end monitors - forgot which ones - are Focal. Lusting after Barefoot and ATC but way too expensive.
For me the Focal’s have the best sound for the money.

kelvyn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:19 pm It’s a very subjective thing choosing monitors. My personal favorites after having owned - Genelec various models, PSI, Westlake, Quested, NS10, Tannoy - and having demoed Neumann and some other high end monitors - forgot which ones - are Focal. Lusting after Barefoot and ATC but way too expensive.
For me the Focal’s have the best sound for the money.
Leaning towards Focals too. I remember hearing Focal Solo6 and I really loved the sound coming from them, though the low was not really there, so for my style of music they aren't really working but they were top notch for the rest.

I have the Focal Twin 6 BE... plus the subwoofer.

I'm very happy with the Focal monitors. There are a number of great monitors at that price so it is subjective. I particularly like the clarity of the Focal sound while not being harsh or fatiguing.

If you're really lucky you could find some used ATC SCM20 ASL Pros for a bit more than that, maybe €2.5k, like I did nine years ago. Never looked back. They are in a different league to all the other monitors mentioned in this thread.
Last edited by Hermetech Mastering on Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here is a guy asking exactly the same question:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=541347

dark water wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:47 pm If you want to save a bit of money and still get some darn good speakers, Presonus Sceptre S8 have great bass and clarity and cost approx £1200 per pair.
+1
Last edited by Passing Bye on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm using Genelec 1029A with the 1091A sub in a similar size room to the OP. Works well here. :)

That model is no longer available, but Genelec have similar modern alternatives.

If you want to save a bit of money and still get some darn good speakers, Presonus Sceptre S8 have great bass and clarity and cost approx £1200 per pair.

Music Store Köln (Cologne) has the Neumann kh 120 set including the kh 750 sub for 2099€.

I currently have the 120 on loan without the sub and for rock, pop, hiphop, classic, metal, I find them very revealing in the sense that I can hear all the hidden detail I hear with my ADAMs. Difference is I don‘t have to concentrate as much. Also, I can hear the pitch on low notes (electric bass) much better. Panning and depth, as well as EQing all feel easier and the mixes translate nicely to other systems.

That’s without the sub which extends the range down to 18 Hz.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Was in same boat and got Avantone Abbey instead of focal twins.Its personal taste.Have a look at Unity Audio Rocks they kill pretty much everything at any price range

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”