Dmitry Sches' Thorn VI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

telecode wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:58 am
Pacific05 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:13 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:03 pm
Pacific05 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:29 pm Got the customer survey voucher from PA and I'm very tempted.
Is this redundant if I already use other "modern" synths like Serum, FM8 or Synthmaster?
I'd say that with the exception of Serum (Only because I've never tried it), there is no redundency.
Thanks el-bo!
I'm giving Thorn a try. Interesting and really good sounding to my ears.
Does it sound and work that much better than FM8? Or is it more or less same thing?
You would (should) have demoed it by now. ;) But seriously, for $15 you cannot pass it up. It is quite different sounding than FM8 by the way. I would compare it to some extent with NI Razor if you must. But again, Thorn does have some standout features, like harmonic filter, glitch sequencer, etc. Whether or not you would use it depends, but it certainly has some great sounding presets.

telecode wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:58 am Does it sound and work that much better than FM8? Or is it more or less same thing?
It is nothing like FM8...

One is a fish and one is a bicycle :wink:
No auto tune...

Yes, indeed. I demoed, the price is insane and sound nothing like popular FM synths.
It's a pleasure to tweak the sounds and even more to build your own.

Pacific05 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:29 pm Got the customer survey voucher from PA and I'm very tempted.
Is this redundant if I already use other "modern" synths like Serum, FM8 or Synthmaster?
I'd say that with the exception of Serum (Only because I've never tried it), there is no redundency.
Thanks el-bo!
Does it sound and work that much better than FM8? Or is it more or less same thing?
It's exactly like FM8, which is why Dimitry is currently being dragged through the courts by NI's lawyers :scared:

Seriously? Hmmm, that sucks. Have worked with Dmitry before and he seems like a good dude :(
Eternitysound VST Banks

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:00 am
Thanks el-bo!
It's exactly like FM8, which is why Dimitry is currently being dragged through the courts by NI's lawyers :scared:
Are you serious? :scared:

See. I'd have thought it's an April fools joke, but from where I'm seeing this, it was posted on 03/04/2020... so... not a joke. In saying that, it's nothing like FM8... so...eh?
Eternitysound VST Banks

Exactly, which is why now I think it was a late April fool joke. Right, el-bo? ;)

You know, April 1st is not the only day, when one can joke :)

And seriously, even reading the specs on both synths I cannot imagine them being "more or less the same". Apart from being a VSTi synth :dog:

Kumi_27 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:28 am You know, April 1st is not the only day, when one can joke :)

And seriously, even reading the specs on both synths I cannot imagine them being "more or less the same". Apart from being a VSTi synth :dog:
Indeed! 'twas a non-April-fools joke.

There's nothing wrong with asking opinions on't internet. However, Telecode asked the same question a few days ago. Even if he couldn't actually try the synth, it'd only have taken listening to a few seconds of audio demos to disprove his notion :shrug:

If anything,the layout and the sound is more like Massive and that's a good thing....

I have a feeling that the're getting more people onboard the Thorn express because there will be an update in the near future...
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:58 am If anything,the layout and the sound is more like Massive and that's a good thing....

I have a feeling that the're getting more people onboard the Thorn express because there will be an update in the near future...
what kind of update? where did you get that info?

digitalboytn wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:58 am If anything,the layout and the sound is more like Massive and that's a good thing....
Which Masive do you mean? If you mean Massive 1, then I would say that it sounds nothing like it. I don't think it sounds like Massive X either. Sort of has its own sound.

What I meant is that Thorn sounds more like the original Massive than FM8 and the layout has some similarities as well...

It also sounds a little different to a bicycle or a fish :)
No auto tune...

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:42 am
Kumi_27 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:28 am You know, April 1st is not the only day, when one can joke :)

Indeed! 'twas a non-April-fools joke.

There's nothing wrong with asking opinions on't internet. However, Telecode asked the same question a few days ago. Even if he couldn't actually try the synth, it'd only have taken listening to a few seconds of audio demos to disprove his notion :shrug:
Yup, I listened to the online soundcloud posted demos on PA site. They sound good. No, I didn't download and try it out on my system. Can't be arsed as I have a very large collection of synths on my system, and there needs to be a really good reason for demoing -- such as, i am about to buy and want to ensure it works well on my setup. Not sure I like that GUI and workflow that much, so hence why I have not jumped on it. Its a good deal, but if it's going to be a VST you will never use, it's still $15 down the toilet.

The reason I brought up FM8, is that I don't use FM8 that much from the Komplete collection in the music I make. Neither do I use Razor. So if this is like them, probably will not get used. ;-)

FWIW.. I use Massive and Monark form that collection lot more.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Return to “Instruments”