Are Waves SSL 4000 plugs Good for Trance Mixing/Mastering?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Because they're currently like %87 off!
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

as every channel strip it has a sound, you can demo them. but every plugin of the bundle you can get at any time, for $25 dollar.. or sometimes, 1+1, or one euro more for the second one. it depends when they are on sale for $29.
ow it is 4 plugins for $25 dollar each. not bad. you can get, when you wait, all get them cheaper. but thisn't a bad price.
pricing is a sport with waves, to get the right sale.

are they good for trance mixing/mastering, the ssl g channel has a mean vibe, which i like. the bus compressor is good.

demo them...

WasteLand wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:35 am as every channel strip it has a sound, you can demo them. but every plugin of the bundle you can get at any time, for $25 dollar.. or sometimes, 1+1, or one euro more for the second one. it depends when they are on sale for $29.
ow it is 4 plugins for $25 dollar each. not bad. you can get, when you wait, all get them cheaper. but thisn't a bad price.
pricing is a sport with waves, to get the right sale.

are they good for trance mixing/mastering, the ssl g channel has a mean vibe, which i like. the bus compressor is good.

demo them...
Oh, didn't realise there was a demo. Cheers.
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

Any mixing plug-in can you be used for any music genre. The only limitation is your imagination.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

waves is kinda janky, honestly. i don't think they oversample any of their internal processes except for the guitar amp things, and maybe one or two of the newer plugins. there's a lot of nasty aliasing in the top ends of a lot of their older stuff.

sleepcircle wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:41 pm waves is kinda janky, honestly. i don't think they oversample any of their internal processes except for the guitar amp things, and maybe one or two of the newer plugins. there's a lot of nasty aliasing in the top ends of a lot of their older stuff.
And still they’re used on countless albums/songs you love and hear on radio, Spotify etc. The difference between amateurs and pro’s is the latter keep on using plugins they like and work. Amateurs keep on chasing newer plugins and hope they will make their mixes sound better and love to compare plugins.

They are almost always on sale. I've the SSL buss and the G-channel.
The SSL buss is awesome, it's better than the Glue I have in Ableton, but as mentioned above they don't oversample, so to get the best result from it you have to run the project on a higher sample rate.
Also, the package has a G-channel and the E-Channel, and the equalizer, which is kinda redundant, you'll probably use only one of the channel strips from these three.
Last edited by roman.i on Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sleepcircle wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:41 pm waves is kinda janky, honestly. i don't think they oversample any of their internal processes except for the guitar amp things, and maybe one or two of the newer plugins. there's a lot of nasty aliasing in the top ends of a lot of their older stuff.
Can you hear the aliasing?
Winner of 15th HOFA Xmas Mix Contest - 2024
2nd place winner of Boz Digital Labs Intl. Mix Contest - 2016

Much prefer the Plugin Alliance version.
You are currently reading my signature.

They're good, but you don't really need the whole bundle - just get the E-Channel and G-Master Buss Compressor when they'll inevitably be available for $29 a piece.

They're great for general shaping of the sound, so work in any genre BUT you might still need something more surgical for psytrance, like Fabfilter's Pro-Q3, Toneboosters' Equalizer4 or TDR's Nova GE. Also the Brainworx versions of SSL emulations are better overall and you can find them 2nd hand around $50 usually.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Daimonicon wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:51 pm And still they’re used on countless albums/songs you love and hear on radio, Spotify etc. The difference between amateurs and pro’s is the latter keep on using plugins they like and work. Amateurs keep on chasing newer plugins and hope they will make their mixes sound better and love to compare plugins.
I don't keep chasing new plugins; I got a bunch of waves plugins when I first started, which I used very enthusiastically ("wow, i'm just like the pros!!!"—you know how beginners are), but slowly stopped using for some reason I couldn't figure out, and ended up gradually replacing them with other things, which I now use consistently.

It was only when I came back to the waves plugins after a year or so—because I was like "oh yeah I still have these, I really SHOULD use them,"—that I ended up identifying what I couldn't, before: a strange, faintly crinkly, 'sneezy' noise up in the high end which muddied everything. This is something I noticed BEFORE I knew audio aliasing existed, I should point out.
Ramm Darkened wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:19 pm Can you hear the aliasing?
I mean, I can't GUARANTEE that I can hear the aliasing, but it's the only explanation I can think of for that "weird crinkly noise" which bugged me so much about the kramer series and a couple other plugins of theirs.

EDIT: I should say, again, their new plugins are a lot better. I haven't bought any of them, really, but I've demoed them out of idle curiosity, and they don't seem to have that weird quality the older ones do.

No, only for mixing pop and rock.

antic604 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:51 pm They're good, but you don't really need the whole bundle - just get the E-Channel and G-Master Buss Compressor when they'll inevitably be available for $29 a piece.

They're great for general shaping of the sound, so work in any genre BUT you might still need something more surgical for psytrance, like Fabfilter's Pro-Q3, Toneboosters' Equalizer4 or TDR's Nova GE. Also the Brainworx versions of SSL emulations are better overall and you can find them 2nd hand around $50 usually.
Thanks. The PA versions are on sale now for $49, I'm looking for some analogue/character compression eq plugs. I bought the PA SPL IRON dual mono compressor, and someone recommended the Maag EQ4 which I'll get when its on sale. I might leave it for a while as my ears aren't trained enough yet, I've mostly been working on composition up to now.

kenny saunders wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:29 pm
antic604 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:51 pm They're good, but you don't really need the whole bundle - just get the E-Channel and G-Master Buss Compressor when they'll inevitably be available for $29 a piece.

Thanks. The PA versions are on sale now for $49, I'm looking for some analogue/character compression eq plugs. I bought the PA SPL IRON dual mono compressor, and someone recommended the Maag EQ4 which I'll get when its on sale. I might leave it for a while as my ears aren't trained enough yet, I've mostly been working on composition up to now.
Then I'd advice going with PA versions and for example get their SSL, N(eve) and Focusrite to have variety in terms of workflow and sound instead of going for the Waves' bundle - they're 10+ years old, so the tech there isn't the most cutting edge anymore.

BTW, main advantage of channel strips like that is you have to really listen, because there's very little graphical feedback. It's very easy to avoid making certain EQ moves in EQ8 or Pro-Q3 because they "look wrong", which is not a problem with knob-based EQs. In that category I can really recommend EVE-MP3 from Kuassa (Pultec emulation, so works wonders on Psytrance kick&bass), TDR's VOS Slick EQ or Hornet's SW34EQ Mk2.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

some of PA has the same bad habit. Unfortunately not in older stuff necessarily - there's just no consistency there.

And i don't know why when everytime someone mentions aliasing, some smart people have to show up and tell us how it doesn't matter and how you're an amateur if you notice it.
It's actually almost 0 work to make aliasing disappear, "shit used to be so terrible but people made hits hurrdurr" is the dumbest excuse for releasing half-baked plugin i've heard, ever.

Return to “Effects”