WTF!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:06 am Track's not bad, as far as it goes. But it feels, imo, like an extended breakdown, waiting to return to a main section. If it were to be fleshed out with some other harmonic elements, it would definitely be of more interest (To us ol' fogeys, anyway) :tu:
yeah, it was mainly rhythmic elements, I`v had a chat with someone and we`ve come to the conclusion that it`s defo Remix material and to add some vocals too (when i can decide what I`d want to say! LOL).
Jam sessions are all about exploring ideas anyway, and as i said on the video, I nearly didn`t put it out there, but figured somebody might like it.
I don`t know what you`re considering "Old fogeys" as, but i`m over half century myself, it`s all in your mind! :wink:
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/KatherineAlicia

Not bad definitely haw potential if you arrange it better

Katherine Alicia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:06 am Track's not bad, as far as it goes. But it feels, imo, like an extended breakdown, waiting to return to a main section. If it were to be fleshed out with some other harmonic elements, it would definitely be of more interest (To us ol' fogeys, anyway) :tu:
Katherine Alicia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 amyeah, it was mainly rhythmic elements, I`v had a chat with someone and we`ve come to the conclusion that it`s defo Remix material and to add some vocals too (when i can decide what I`d want to say! LOL).
Great idea! Would be interesting to hear what could be made of it.
Katherine Alicia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 amI don`t know what you`re considering "Old fogeys"
These days, I get the feeling the kids think it's anything above 30 :scared:
Katherine Alicia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 ami`m over half century myself, it`s all in your mind! :wink:
Oh, you poor thing! I guess you fit your dubstep session in between your afternoon naps and evening bingo and night-time cocoa? :hihi:

You're right, though. Age is meaningless, really. We're all just older kids :tu:

Do you have a Soundcloud page?

FYI Katherine does mostly techno/acid and psy and does them extremely well. There several of her tracks on GS.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:58 am Oh, you poor thing! I guess you fit your dubstep session in between your afternoon naps and evening bingo and night-time cocoa? :hihi:

You're right, though. Age is meaningless, really. We're all just older kids :tu:

LOL, naps... I`ll wait till I`m dead (plenty time then). Bingo`s Prime Time for suckers, and Cocoa, yes please at Christmas and stir it with a candy cane! 8)

I don`t have soundcloud, just Youtube and Patreon. xx

P.S I found "The Noise Incident", though also to be pretty sparse, to have more points of interest, and more coherent as a 'song' structure (not that that's the be all/end all). It does lose impact, somewhat, from the wub being occasionally 'off', but I'm sure that could be tightened, if it weren't intentional.

Interesting set-up, also. Seems like it would be easy to get lost in that tech-corner for hours. And discovering you are Dawless does shift the perspective somewhat.

I'm subscribed to a few female Dawless looping/jamming/musicians, but your age definitely does make you pretty unique.

Check out Rachel Collier, Anna Straker (Her earlier videos show her doing the performance stuff), and 'Neon Vines' (She's an incredible performer, in her own right. But watching her do a live set is like watching someone spinning plates)
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:05 pm FYI Katherine does mostly techno/acid and psy and does them extremely well.
No doubt! I'm listening to more on her YT, now :tu:

Katherine Alicia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:12 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:58 am Oh, you poor thing! I guess you fit your dubstep session in between your afternoon naps and evening bingo and night-time cocoa? :hihi:

LOL, naps... I`ll wait till I`m dead (plenty time then). Bingo`s Prime Time for suckers, and Cocoa, yes please at Christmas and stir it with a candy cane! 8)

I don`t have soundcloud, just Youtube and Patreon. xx
:tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:14 pm I'm subscribed to a few female Dawless looping/jamming/musicians, but your age definitely does make you pretty unique.

Check out Rachel Collier, Anna Straker (Her earlier videos show her doing the performance stuff), and 'Neon Vines' (She's an incredible performer, in her own right. But watching her do a live set is like watching someone spinning plates)
I just had a quick look and they`re not dawless, they have ableton Push and launchpads (I recognise them), there`s very few us Truly DAWless out there, I`m only DAWless because that`s how I`v always been since the mid 80`s when it was all CV and gate, and then MIDI came out and it was an answer to all my prayers! LOL
i`v stuck with the original 5 opin Din midi ever since and not a computer/ DAW in sight, I never needed one, just gimme a decent sequencer or 2 or 3 and a common clock from a drum machine (I use an MPC for that now), and that`s all I need. nothing to boot up, nothing checking for updates, nothing checking that i didn`t steal/pirate it, and nothing gets obsolete because the people you bought it off decided to no longer support it. I can just power up in seconds and be making music with an entire orchestra!
Hence the band name; `My Machines and i`, we`re a team! besides, I really don`t feel any connection with a computer, they just feel like dead metal to me, not at all like real synths. 8)
Last edited by Katherine Alicia on Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katherine Alicia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:13 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:14 pm I'm subscribed to a few female Dawless looping/jamming/musicians, but your age definitely does make you pretty unique.

Katherine Alicia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:13 pmI just had a quick look and they`re not dawless, they have ableton Push and launchpads (I recognise them), there`s very few us Truly DAWless out there, I`m only DAWless because that`s how I`v always been since the mid 80`s when it was all CV and gate, and then MIDI came out and it was an answer to all my prayers! LOL
i`v stuck with the original 5 opin Din midi ever since and not a computer/ DAW in sight, I never needed one, just gimme a decent sequencer or 2 or 3 and a common clock from a drum machine (I use an MPC for that now), and that`s all I need. nothing to boot up, nothing checking for updates, nothing checking that i didn`t steal/pirate it, and nothing gets obsolete because the people you bought it off decided to no longer support it. I can just power up in seconds and be making music with an entire orchestra!
You're right. Sorry! "Dawless" wasn't really the point that I was trying to make. Really, I'm more talking about the live performance aspect (And yes! despite them using Ableton as a hub, it is still very much live performance). Hopefully, despite the difference, you can enjoy them for their talent :tu:

Katherine Alicia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:13 pmI really don`t feel any connection with a computer, they just feel like dead metal to me, not at all like like real synths. 8)
Well it's all just computers inside metal boxes :wink: My biggest issue with using a computer is that it's too easy to get distracted by all the other things computers offer. However, the kind of music I am trying to make relies on the use of computer workstations. I would love a little hardware 'corner', though, just as I'd love a standalone piano :tu:

As for "real synths"? Let's not go there :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:32 pm just as I'd love a standalone piano :tu:
can`t you get yourself something like a Yamaha P45 or similar like a Roland FP10?
I Love getting up in the morning and playing piano while the coffee`s making, litteraly within a few minutes of waking up I`m on mine. get yourself a pile of sheet music too, it`s not expensive really and you can go Anywhere! 8)

Katherine Alicia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:22 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:32 pm just as I'd love a standalone piano :tu:
can`t you get yourself something like a Yamaha P45 or similar like a Roland FP10?
I Love getting up in the morning and playing piano while the coffee`s making, litteraly within a few minutes of waking up I`m on mine. get yourself a pile of sheet music too, it`s not expensive really and you can go Anywhere! 8)
Sounds great! Lucky you! When I used to live at my parents, I was glued to their Clavinova :hug:

As to your suggestion: Would love to, but it's really not possible at the moment. Firstly, I don't have the space. Secondly, my priority is for a full-size controller keyboard. To that end, I have my eye on these two models:

https://studiologic-music.com/products/numa_compact2/

https://studiologic-music.com/products/numa_compact2x/

The advantages are that I get 88 non full-weighted keys, which means it'll be more flexible as a main controller. But they also have onboard speakers and sounds, which means I can play without having to turn on any computer etc.
And because of the compact footprint, it'll fit on my desk...so no space issues :tu:

Sweet board! I was looking at those myself, IIRC one of them even takes batteries if you needed to be fully remote, like the garden on a summers day for instance (I love doing that).
yeah, you should totally get one of those! :D

I used to have a room full of hardware too (began in 1977) until I got tired of the cables and repairs, not to mention the cost. I have 100 plus VSTs, not to mention hundreds of FX at the cost of maybe 6 hardware synths if I take the 6 most expensive that I owned.

I would never go back to those days for anything in the world.

Katherine Alicia wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:02 pm Sweet board! I was looking at those myself, IIRC one of them even takes batteries if you needed to be fully remote, like the garden on a summers day for instance (I love doing that).
yeah, you should totally get one of those! :D
Batteries or USB power-bank I can do. Garden, not so much :(

Anyway! Not in a position to be able to afford either of these, a the moment. One day, though.

Cheers :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”