how to transpose PART of song to accomadate vocal

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am not a Music theory person. I pretty much go by ear. But I try to learn as much as I can like when using a DAW and out of necessity. I use Logic and EZKeys which together have been a great help.

But regarding music/song transposition due to vocal ability or vocal performance I have zero experience. Is there a formula like if song is in x and singer sings y change section to z

Yes there is (kind of), but you need to know what x and y are before you start.

In this case, the song is in Dm. The Chord that plays under this line is Gm.
and singer sang an ascending then descending scale that was A# C# D# F# G# F E C#

I’ll take a stab at this. Hopefully I understand correctly. Providing you are intending your singer to be singing in the same key I would suggest this as something to consider:

In reference to your example:

Dm = D – E – F – G – A – B♭ – C – D

Your melody = A# C# D# F# G# F E C

I would suggest that the melody almost fits into:

G# Minor: G# – A# – B – C# – D# – E – F# – G#

Except for the F note

Here are 2 ways to work out the new chords

1. Compare the two scales and select the corresponding chord from the transposed key.

For example:

D Minor: D – E – F – G – A – B♭ – C – D
G# Minor: G# – A# – B – C# – D# – E – F# – G#

So movement of 1 -> 4
in Dm = Dm -> Gm
in G#m = G#m -> C#m

2. Use the chromatic scale to work out the number of tones:
So:
D – D#/E♭ – E – F – F#/G♭ – G – G#/Ab – A – A#/B♭ – B – C – C#/D♭

So: d -> g# = d, d#, e, f, f#, g, g# = 7

Now count 7 from each original key chord to find the transposed chord.

So: for Gm – g, g#, a, a#, b, c, c# = C#m

Hopefully there is no typo's.
I hope this is what you were after and that I am not stating the obvious.

Are you saying the singer is singing in a different key to the music, or that you want to change key as you have that run of notes in mind?

I'm assuming you mean that the run of notes is over a Gm chord and you're looking to transpose to fit the notes you listed?

There is no scale that matches the run of notes, so there has to be one or more accidentals in that list of notes. Without seeing the music written, it's difficult to tell if any of them are passing notes that are not in the scale.

Change key to D#m which will push the Gm to a G#m. The F in the run will either sound out of key, or consider something other than a single chord sitting under that run.

ample-g-b wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:24 pm A# C# D# F# G# F E C#
So many sharps, it hurts my eyes. Whenever I see a A#, in over 80% of cases they meant a Bb. So did you mean: Bb Db Eb Gb F E Db ?

That sounds like the pentatonic (mostly same as minor) scale on Bb, with some notes out of order; probably because we don't hear the full accompanyment.
ample-g-b wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:24 pm the song is in Dm. The Chord that plays under this line is Gm.
From D to Bb is 4 semitones down. From G to Bb is 3 semitones up. So try either transposition.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

It has too many notes to be a pentatonic scale though. Assuming you mean Bb minor, it would be Bb, Db, Eb, F, Ab.

The E is a flat 5th, so it's going to be dissonant in a scale of Bb minor.

Forgotten wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:13 pm Are you saying the singer is singing in a different key to the music, or that you want to change key as you have that run of notes in mind?
I assumed, possibly wrongly, that the pianist was playing in the key of d minor, but the singer was trying to sing the song in what looks to be G#minor: i.e. they were trying to establish the key the singer wants to sing in and were asking about transposing, hence that rather long winded post.

Some great feedback thanks much. I should have been clearer. The singer sag the run wrong. The goal was to save the sung run by doing a key or chord change just on that one part. Admittedly just redo the vocal would be the easiest. But since I always wonder about general key changes to accommodate a singer I thought I'd post it as an example of when that challenge comes up during the recording of a song.

In that situation I'd pitch-shift the "off" notes from the vocal take, rather than re-composing the music. Modulating through keys is one of the complex aspects of musical arrangement, and should be done for artistic purposes. This is like moving the living-room wall because you put a heavy sofa in the wrong place.

I would make the singer do another take if they messed it up.

However, if that run of notes is correct (but in the wrong key), it seems odd that the accompaniment is just that one minor triad. It seems like the vocal melody and the accompaniment don't fit that well so it might make it harder to sing as it stands right now.

Well, if Bobby Brown gets away with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4BYGT_-EzI

Sounds so wrong, or doesn't it?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

For it to fit over that triad what notes would be swapped out in the vocal run?

I was thinking the opposite - don't just play the same minor triad as accompaniment to the entire vocal part

Last edited by claudedefaren on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Theory”