Is Ableton's Limiter device really *that* bad?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd love to hear what you think about the built-in Limiter device in Ableton Live. It's so, so basic, but gets a lot of hate. I'd love to know why, whether the hate is well-founded, and in what circumstance you would or would not use it instead of something like Barricade, Limiter 6 or Pro-L2.

I would use it on a master bus to protect my speakers from accidental spikes.
For a "mastering" I'll use a limiter that sounds better.

Anyone who would bother 'hating' a stock Limiter device that exists solely to prevent spikes / clips has some seriously skewed priorities.

It's for preventing Overs...and that's what it does, just like any brick-wall limiter. It's useful to that end. I always have one on my master bus, and sometimes drop one on channels with chains that are getting a bit 'crazy'.

For proper mastering with loudness maximization, just about anyone out there would substitute a product designed, you know, for that purpose. In the meantime, when you want to prevent overs in a channel or on your master, bingo, you drop in limiter.

Bottom line, you might be overthinking this device, and the 'haters' (though it's hard to imagine the sort of dubious zones you spend time in where such 'hate' would be a thing) are quite literally wasting your (and their) time.

Last edited by claudedefaren on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dangayle wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:12 pm but gets a lot of hate.
This post is the first time I ever heard anyone say they hated it.

It’s basic, but I can’t think I would ever “hate” it because of that.

Strong words for something I'm always placing in racks somewhere in case things go crazy during knob twiddles
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

I tested it in comparison with other non-stock limiters face to face and I agree - it's bad in terms of mastering. A lot of distortion there, not nearly transparent. I think the reason for it's existent - to save your speakers in critical sound-design situations. You can check it by yourself, it's an obvious difference )

I guess "hate" is a strong word. A lot of the discussions I've seen about Live's built-in devices put Limiter at the bottom of the heap, compared to the high standards set by the Glue compressor and others.

Same here, I only use it on the master to prevent accidental clipping. For any decent limiting I use Fabfilter Pro L2 or Ozone 9.

Limiters have use on other channels, so for example limiting some spikes on a channel/bus where needed. For thouse Live Limiter is ok. Just as usual, dont overdo it :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

As others have said, it's a fine safety limiter - used as such, doesn't mess up the sound.

I always start with all tracks dialed down to -6 dB, then put this limiter at the end of master to add 6 dB back but not clip. Before rendering pre-master version, I turn it off.
Don't use it for any other purpose. It's just a handy utility.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I use it a lot actually. Unlinked mode is very useful and for drums, a bit dirty is great! Not for mastering but on anything else all the time.

I use it occasionally, it has it's own sound. I prefer airwindows cliponly on my output for preventing any strays or for gently leaning into. Depends on the song of course and I rarely have a dedicated limiter plugin on my master, mainly just Airwindows Monitoring which has a built in clipper.

Winstontaneous wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:23 am As others have said, it's a fine safety limiter - used as such, doesn't mess up the sound.
My use also, there it sits on the master, protecting my ears.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Return to “Effects”