My generative eurorack setup: any tips?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey modular friends:)

I'm currently building my first eurorack setup.
I want to record generative music on to a tape. (I made already a post about that)

what do you think about this setup:

Together with a neutron and crave
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1170501

I would love to hear if I miss something essential or if you have any recommendations!

Bloom and Maths are essentials IMHO. The rest I would change for other modules depending on the sound/music you want to record.

christian f. wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:36 am Bloom and Maths are essentials IMHO. The rest I would change for other modules depending on the sound/music you want to record.
Thanks a lot!

I really enjoy ambient sounds :)

do you have any recommendations for those?

I didn't know what to buy either, so I bought an ambient rack from Modular Freq and had it customized to my specific needs.
I'm glad I bought it ready to go like that, because I think it saved me a lot of money and time.

For Ambient, aside of Bloom and Maths,I ALWAYS use one of these Oscillators :
Elements (Oscillator with built in Reverb and many inputs) , DPO (Analog Dual Oscillator with tons of inputs) or Nebulae 2 (Sampler/ granular / freezer).
If I had to pick one I probably would pick Nebulae 2 because you can sample any sound in it.
I also have Plaits, but I think it doesn't have enough modulation inputs to give those subtle differences you can do with the others.
VCA I like Blinds because of it's many extra functions.
Filters : Q pas , Ripples , ACL Dual svf ,
Effects : Erbe verb , Mimeophone , Blackhole 2

Very happy with my Plaits. For ambient things you'll find the swarm mode useful (top red).What are your reverb plans? The "mode" input is useful for making complex sequences that sound like multiple imstruments.

I have that quad VCA which does nicely for modulation control and output mixing. You need a way of getting offset voltages, in this setup you'll be using Maths a lot for that.

I'd recommend any new rack to include a Disting mk4 and some empty space. The Disting will help you decide what you want next!

imrae wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:45 am Very happy with my Plaits. For ambient things you'll find the swarm mode useful (top red).What are your reverb plans? The "mode" input is useful for making complex sequences that sound like multiple imstruments.

I have that quad VCA which does nicely for modulation control and output mixing. You need a way of getting offset voltages, in this setup you'll be using Maths a lot for that.

I'd recommend any new rack to include a Disting mk4 and some empty space. The Disting will help you decide what you want next!
I have a reverb pedal that I would like to use at first. Later I think about getting a cloud etc...

What exactly do you mean by offset voltages?

christian f. wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:10 am I didn't know what to buy either, so I bought an ambient rack from Modular Freq and had it customized to my specific needs.
I'm glad I bought it ready to go like that, because I think it saved me a lot of money and time.

For Ambient, aside of Bloom and Maths,I ALWAYS use one of these Oscillators :
Elements (Oscillator with built in Reverb and many inputs) , DPO (Analog Dual Oscillator with tons of inputs) or Nebulae 2 (Sampler/ granular / freezer).
If I had to pick one I probably would pick Nebulae 2 because you can sample any sound in it.
I also have Plaits, but I think it doesn't have enough modulation inputs to give those subtle differences you can do with the others.
VCA I like Blinds because of it's many extra functions.
Filters : Q pas , Ripples , ACL Dual svf ,
Effects : Erbe verb , Mimeophone , Blackhole 2
Thanks a lot!
I’ll definitely check out the modules you mentioned!

One thing I like to use for generative stuff, is a routing matrix. I use Maze from Livestock Electronics,
basically a sequencing mixing and routing matrix, particularly handy for a small system imho.

pekbro wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:50 am One thing I like to use for generative stuff, is a routing matrix. I use Maze from Livestock Electronics,
basically a sequencing mixing and routing matrix, particularly handy for a small system imho.
can you recommend any specific modules? :)

wurschtel wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:27 pm
pekbro wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:50 am One thing I like to use for generative stuff, is a routing matrix. I use Maze from Livestock Electronics,
can you recommend any specific modules? :)
Go to https://www.livestockelectronics.com and have a look at both Maze and Ellis,
either of them can greatly increase the generative capabilities of any eurorack system. :tu:

in your rack, i have both plaits and maths.
maths, i believe should come as standard in all racks. it can do so much, even two in a single rack wouldnt be overkill imo :o
plaits, depending on what you mean by ambient sounds, it does have a good range of sounds, easy enough to have a listen on youtube if they work for you :)

reverbs i have a couple of springs, erbeverb and supercell (clouds with bits). again, youtube will let you know if the sound works for you.

generative involves a lot of modulation, and alongside bloom as a seq, i think you are off to a decent start, especially adding the pedal and other bits :tu:

just make sure, any module you decide on, spend a few days on youtube, before you pull the trigger!

and have fun :ud:

vurt wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:38 pm in your rack, i have both plaits and maths.
maths, i believe should come as standard in all racks. it can do so much, even two in a single rack wouldnt be overkill imo :o
plaits, depending on what you mean by ambient sounds, it does have a good range of sounds, easy enough to have a listen on youtube if they work for you :)

reverbs i have a couple of springs, erbeverb and supercell (clouds with bits). again, youtube will let you know if the sound works for you.

generative involves a lot of modulation, and alongside bloom as a seq, i think you are off to a decent start, especially adding the pedal and other bits :tu:

just make sure, any module you decide on, spend a few days on youtube, before you pull the trigger!

and have fun :ud:

Thanks a lot! Do you have any recommendations for future modulations modules? :)

depends.
are you looking to stay in a single rack or adding more in the future?

id add a few different ones lfos, envelopes, to give different shape and rate options, or add a mixer to give more options.

looking at what you have in the rack, id stick with that for now. see what you feel is missing.
if you buy too much in one go, you may find some bits arent being used as they dont add anything that another module isnt doing.
youd be surprised how much you might get out of plaits/maths/bloom to start with.

Maybe try playing with modulations in VCV rack or somesuch before investing in hardware. While it may not be a true model of your system it'll give you an idea of the sort of modules you may enjoy.

The starting point is always difficult, but I agree that starting small, figuring out what you can do with a few modules and then what you feel might be missing, is the way to go.

Maths is an excellent modulator, good for learning a lot about modular and will never be obsolete. You're unlikely to need more than that until you've got more modulation destinations. But some other options to look at in the future would be:

Stages: very versatile modulator that can do simple or complex envelopes, LFOs, short sequences, S&H, slew, gate length conversion, CV delay and other things. It's pretty brilliant.

Tides: it's like a channel of Maths but enhanced. It works great as an audio rate oscillator (with filter/wavefolder and level control), or as an LFO or envelope generator, and it will give you some other related signals. Just Friends is a less straightforward but excellent alternative.

Zadar: a cool vector-based envelope generator (which can also loop, including at audio rates). I've never tried it myself but have been tempted many times.

I don't know anything about Bloom, but if you don't get along with it, other options might be Marbles or Tuesday. I love Marbles personally, and have it paired up with Monome Teletype for algorithmic and programmed rhythm and CV duties.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”