Brainstorming solutions for mixing conflicting sounds and frequency ranges

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are my options:

a) change/fix the source sound so they don't occupy the same space: Not the preferred approach.
b) sequence them so they don't conflict: Possible however I would like the sounds more seamless and intertwined.
c) extensive automation of levels and EQ: Possibly but it won't be as smooth as a slow sidechain.
d) sidechain: possibly
e) dynamic EQ: so far the preferred approach.

What else is there? Just thinking out loud so I have a few avenues for when I need to mix it later tonight.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I can recommend Wavesfactory Trackspacer. Works miracles.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:26 pm I can recommend Wavesfactory Trackspacer. Works miracles.
Oooh now that's excellent. Could be on to a winner there.

f) Panning.
g) Compression/envelope-shaping on one or both of the sounds - emphasise onsets in one vs the other. In the same ballpark as dynamic EQ but puts more emphasis on the arrangement.

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:38 pm f) Panning.
g) Compression/envelope-shaping on one or both of the sounds - emphasise onsets in one vs the other. In the same ballpark as dynamic EQ but puts more emphasis on the arrangement.
Good options, thanks :tu:

MSpectralDynamics as an alternative to Trackspacer. Works great on vocal to help cut through the dense mix. While Trackspacer has only 32 bands, MSpectralDynamics is based on FFT, so it has much greater resolution with surgical cuts

This so much. Especially with multiband effects. Neutron Transient Shaper and Ozone Dynamics are my favourites for this job.

Also, it may still fall into sound design area. If you stack sampled piano, FM bell and VA pluck, they will all sound different yet occupy similiar frequency range.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I think a dynamic eq on one of the conflicting sounds sidechained from another one is the tool for this task. E.g. an equalizer in Neutron can do that and I think other popular equalizers like ProQ must also have such functionality.

I can use that when I need a snare to cut through a dense mix with lots of leads and SFX sounds etc, or if I have a short stabbing sound that appears for a short time over a lead or a pad, or as one of the ways to solve the kick/bass problem.

But I think if you need this often, or need to make really big cuts to clean your mix up, it's probably better to revise your arrangement or your synths. I may be wrong but I think it's more a problem solver tool needed when you have to work with stems made by someone else and can't fix things at the sourse. If it's your own project you are free not to let these conflicts happen at all.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

To add more context to this I have an atmospheric sound wiggling away on top of the bass. However when the main lead plays I want it to take the focus. In other words I want them to both be front and centre but if there is conflict I want the lead to take priority.

I haven't had a chance to revisit it as yet because I'm still working on the lead. This weekend hopefully 8)

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:29 pm To add more context to this I have an atmospheric sound wiggling away on top of the bass. However when the main lead plays I want it to take the focus. In other words I want them to both be front and centre but if there is conflict I want the lead to take priority.
Not hearing your mix I think simply panning them both could solve this. I believe you don't really want them both to be in the centre of the stereofield.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:32 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:29 pm To add more context to this I have an atmospheric sound wiggling away on top of the bass. However when the main lead plays I want it to take the focus. In other words I want them to both be front and centre but if there is conflict I want the lead to take priority.
Not hearing your mix I think simply panning them both could solve this. I believe you don't really want them both to be in the centre of the stereofield.
I'll see how it goes over the weekend and post a snippet up. Who knows it may sound rubbish regardless of what I do and cause a change in the arrangement.

Another vote for Trackspacer. Though it is easy to overdo it I find. Even 5% can go a long way :)

Not sure how it went over the weekend, sometimes you can take out large chunks of frequency content and still hear the sounds, it all depends on how you achieve it, either through Nova vlag or pure cuts/ volume automation.
:nutter: if you can read this, your screen is big

Joi Polloi wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 pm Not sure how it went over the weekend,
It didn't. Life got in the way as usual :x
Joi Polloi wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 pmsometimes you can take out large chunks of frequency content and still hear the sounds, it all depends on how you achieve it, either through Nova vlag or pure cuts/ volume automation.
8)

Jopmanajop wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:05 pm MSpectralDynamics

Trackspacer.
And owning this doesn't hurt

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MMultiAnalyzer

It's "only" an analyzer, but will give you visuals about where's the conflict hits the hardest.

Return to “Production Techniques”