Do PA plugins require some kind of central management program (e.g. like with Waves plugins you need Waves Central) ?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
MasterTuner
KVRist
258 posts since 30 May, 2018

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:19 am

I am thinking of buying my first PA plugin, bx_subsynth, which is the lowest I've seen at $25 now.

With PA plugins do you need a plugin manager program like with IK Multimedia's and Waves, Spitifre etc all require you to download their managers.

edit: I do actually own Izotopes Exciter which adds harmonic content to the low end, so I wonder if bx_subsynth is very different?
Last edited by MasterTuner on Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

Local Man
KVRian
755 posts since 31 May, 2017

Re: Do PA plugins require some kind of central management program (e.g. like with Waves plugins you need Waves Central)

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:24 am

No. They do have a manager program but they also provide direct downloads so you don't need to use it if you don't want.

Ploki
KVRAF
2287 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: Do PA plugins require some kind of central management program (e.g. like with Waves plugins you need Waves Central)

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:10 am

what local man said.

that said, yes. it's different.
but i wouldn't suggest going down the PA rabbit hole for other reasons.

roman.i
KVRist
253 posts since 25 Aug, 2019

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:24 am

Ploki wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:10 am
but i wouldn't suggest going down the PA rabbit hole for other reasons.
Why not? I like their offer for the yearly subscription + vouchers. I think it's the best offer on the market today, because it gives a lot of time to decide that you're actually going to use and then buy it on a sale using these vouchers. So basically it's a one year trial for all their plugins.

GaryG
KVRAF
5969 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Kent, UK

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:53 am

Local Man wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:24 am
No. They do have a manager program but they also provide direct downloads so you don't need to use it if you don't want.
I've only just started using the manager and it just works, no issues at all so far.

I can't knock PA, I have all the unfiltered audio plugins I want (pretty much everything except Lion and Triad I think) for a ridiculously small outlay (certainly well under $100). Just watch the sales/vouchers.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

Ploki
KVRAF
2287 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:45 am

roman.i wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:24 am
Why not? I like their offer for the yearly subscription + vouchers. I think it's the best offer on the market today, because it gives a lot of time to decide that you're actually going to use and then buy it on a sale using these vouchers. So basically it's a one year trial for all their plugins.
i'd rather not go into it.
lets just say that i think most of BX (not the bought in shit like unfiltered audio and Dmitry Sches), especially newer plugins, have value as their sale price is.
And i really don't like their sales strategy at all.

that said, bx_subsynth is very good on material with pitch, but for giving oomph to percussive stuff, Voxengo LF MaxPunch has better timing and generally behaves better. The two complement each other very well

GRUMP
KVRist
339 posts since 11 Jun, 2019

Post Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:41 am

Also check out Acustica Audio Basstard EQ. It's free - after you have installed the Aquarius Manager - and sounds OOMPH!
Sound Design - VOX, Airy, Choir

Return to “Effects”