Mixing with Headphones

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
D N A
KVRian
1061 posts since 1 Jan, 2004

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:17 am

isle3music wrote:I know most of you probably don't use headphones when mixing,for obvious reasons,but does anyone know if there's a plugin I could use that will help when mixing with headphones?
I use headphones for mixing and I'm satisfied. The key is to know pros, cons and adapt :) Of course, I test mixdown on monitors too but about 90 % of work i'm doing on headphones.

isle3music
KVRist
125 posts since 22 Jan, 2010 from Toronto

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:04 am

I tried the AKG's awhile ago but maybe not the 701's and went with the Sennheiser.
Beyerdanamics DT-990 are also very good
I'll end up getting one of these three:650,701 or 990
Adam speakers are great,I saw them the other day but I think they were a G+
Thanks so much everyone..
Cheers
Last edited by isle3music on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

xybre
KVRAF
1755 posts since 19 May, 2006 from Nomadic (Chicago and San Francisco mostly)

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:41 am

isle3music wrote:Adam speakers are great,I saw them the other day but I think they were a G+
The small ones are only $300 apiece
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro
gearlust: Wadorf Blofeld, Dave Smith MoPho, Roland JP-8000, Access Virus A, Korg Radias
machinecode by: u-he, Tone2, Stillwell, de la Mancha, Ugo, Camel, Togu, et al

Xnah
KVRian
938 posts since 16 Nov, 2006 from Amsterdam

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:49 am

I like my DT-990's... Besides sound quality you can wear them for hours and barely notice. Last but not least, there's the little word 'pro' on them :D
<put your signature here>

isle3music
KVRist
125 posts since 22 Jan, 2010 from Toronto

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:19 am

Xnah wrote:I like my DT-990's... Besides sound quality you can wear them for hours and barely notice. Last but not least, there's the little word 'pro' on them :D
Yea,I'd love to get those..it's gonna come down to price,cause I'll be happy with either of the three.
Thanks

eduardo_b
KVRAF
11851 posts since 23 Nov, 2004 from west of east

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:25 am

BASSDRIVE wrote:
dj ray wrote:Redline Monitor was created for this very purpose.
http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/

Isone Pro is far more superior IMHO.

http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/audio_vst_isone_pro.htm

The effect is so great, sometimes you forget your even wearing cans.
And for less money than Monitor.
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

Fabriciom
KVRist
227 posts since 5 Jun, 2004 from Madrid, España

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:40 am

Is redline the only option for OSX?

Tangible
KVRer
3 posts since 14 Apr, 2010

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Fabriciom wrote:Is redline the only option for OSX?
it seems like it, the other stuff is old. There's VNOPhones, but it doesn't work on my computer, think you needed Pluggo runtime or something to make it work...then there was Canz3D, but I think it sounded horrible.

You could try the DIY approach I suggested here http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 72#4054172, I was very happy with results I achieved with this method. It basically requires a plugin chain that includes: a stereo width plugin, eq plugin, and a reverb plugin.

DavyNix
KVRist
50 posts since 3 Jan, 2019

Re: Mixing with Headphones

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:33 am

Hey - hoping a reply to this topic bumps it into the current decade. Im in the same place - have to do the majority of my mixing via headphones. Has anybody got any updates to this list.

Isone Pro - Free by the looks of it
Redline Monitor - £60

and i've also seen that Waves make a plug-in called Abbey Road 3 - Currently on sale for £45

Any others?

Thanks - Dave.

The Noodlist
KVRAF
2381 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:55 am

HPL2 Processor Plugin
The Control Spot
Meier crossfeed.
Omnisone
Isone Pro
Omnisone X86
DeeSpeaker Monitor Simulator
Computer Magazine version crashed several times, YMMV.
https://youtu.be/qPxmG6KC1jw
The Toneboosters V3 offerings sounds more realistic after A/B speakers.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral:

acousticglue
KVRian
895 posts since 27 May, 2008

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:48 am

At-40 and at-50 here

Brother Greg
KVRist
128 posts since 18 May, 2016

Re:

Post Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:06 pm

burkek wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:28 pm
From the page referenced above, "Modern recordings are intended mostly for speaker listening."

I would argue that the statement no longer holds true - at least in the sense that people these days are not sitting in front of a pair of speakers. They're listening to music on portable devices with earbuds or headphones where there is no left/right cross signal happening.

KEv
I agree. Well said! I just use good headphones for everything and have let go of the world of speakers.

Freshback
KVRer
5 posts since 31 Mar, 2020

Post Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:44 am

I,m mixing on the headphones too. I personally think, that its better to mix without any plugin that simulate speakers because, If you've listen to the music with your headphones, you get used to the sound and then if you want to mix and add this plugin, everything sounds different that you are used to. Is that make sense:)?

Niowiad
KVRian
611 posts since 25 Jan, 2017

Post Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 am

Freshback wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:44 am
I,m mixing on the headphones too. I personally think, that its better to mix without any plugin that simulate speakers because, If you've listen to the music with your headphones, you get used to the sound and then if you want to mix and add this plugin, everything sounds different that you are used to. Is that make sense:)?
Yes it definitely does make sense.
If someone wants to mix on headphones, he needs to know them really well, somewhat similarly to how someone mixing on speakers must know them really well in the context of the room they're placed in.

Plugins simulating speakers are fine to have an added reference and view on how the mix could possibly sound on speakers, but mixing into those plugins is a completely different thing to do.

If you mix (and later print) into plugins which are adding channel crossfeed, equalization and reflections to have it sound like you're listening through speakers in a room... it might sound interesting on headphones but can't also sound perfectly ok when all of that ends on actual speakers. Can't have it both ways.

So, I guess you want to shape the mix to sound "just like headphones" when you're using headphones, so that it will hopefully sound "just like speakers" when translating to actual speakers.
If then someone likes to enjoy music on headphones through speakers emulators, I guess it's a legitimate thing to do, but that also sits in a completely different realm compared to the mix engineer in the mixing phase.

Know your headphones, have a clear idea of how stereo image and depth sounds like on headphones and mix accordingly to that, eventually comparing to reference tracks.

Very interesting view on the matter :)
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-a-wit ... hones.html

mcnelson
KVRian
1188 posts since 26 Mar, 2004 from UK

Post Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:41 pm

Niowiad wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:27 am
If you mix (and later print) into plugins which are adding channel crossfeed, equalization and reflections to have it sound like you're listening through speakers in a room... it might sound interesting on headphones but can't also sound perfectly ok when all of that ends on actual speakers. Can't have it both ways.
You should deactivate your plugins before you export; they're only used to compensate when making mixing decisions (e.g. headphone correction, crossfeed, etc).
ABLETON LIVE 10 & PUSH2: TWISTED TOOLS : SONIC CHARGE : SUGAR BYTES
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Return to “Effects”