Extract of entire HDD contents onto .txt/xls file (W10)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to generate a list of every file on my C drive in Excel format?

I would need the following details:
- filename
- date created/modified (not essential but ideal)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Sure. My powershell skills are a bit rusty, but that would be the way to go.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I never remember Windows commands, but I think Powershell can use Unix commands. Would be something like this:

ls -aR > file.txt

Where file.txt is the file you want to save it to.

Smack start button, then write cmd and hit enter to get to the command prompt, write "dir /?' to get the options for the dir command and setup the command with the sorting and listing as you want. Then you can pipe the output of dir with "dir /b /s /options > d:\blah.txt"

Take a look at this little app - https://www.rlvision.com/snap2html/about.php

larm wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:44 pm Smack start button, then write cmd and hit enter to get to the command prompt, write "dir /?' to get the options for the dir command and setup the command with the sorting and listing as you want. Then you can pipe the output of dir with "dir /b /s /options > d:\blah.txt"
Thanks. I'm very close with these clear instructions however the list didn't include the filesize. What am I missing?

giant_panda wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:58 pm Take a look at this little app - https://www.rlvision.com/snap2html/about.php
Thanks. I will look into this if I'm not able to do it within Windows itself.

If you stand in c:\ it should work like this:

dir *.xlsx /s > c:\users\<username>\documents\xlsx.txt

Edit: Again I'm late. Anyway, you should not run the /b option as this will remove the size and creation date :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:12 pm If you stand in c:\ it should work like this:

dir *.xlsx /s > c:\users\<username>\documents\xlsx.txt

Edit: Again I'm late. Anyway, you should not run the /b option as this will remove the size and creation date :)
Thanks. What does the *.xlsx do? I assume this is acting as a wildcard for all Excel files. However I'm after a list of everything, not just Excel.

I assume therefore I should use (while in c:\):
dir /s > d:\everything.txt

Yeah, the *.xlsx is the wildcard for all Excel files. In case you write only "dir /s > d:/everything.txt" you will get a list of all files on c:
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:57 pm Yeah, the *.xlsx is the wildcard for all Excel files. In case you write only "dir /s > d:/everything.txt" you will get a list of all files on c:
Fantastic. Worked a treat and managed to free up 10GB!

powershell can do this quite elegantly :

get-childitem -recurse -file -name | get-itemproperty | select-object directory,name,length,lastwritetime

output should import nicely into excel (presumably you want to sort it by size to find the biggest items)? Of course windirstat could do that with a nice graphical UI : https://windirstat.net/

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”