Which synths do you use for their presets and which do you use for sound design?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got into sound design because I didnt like preset surfing. That said, I think Synthmaster makes preset surfing much more tolerable. I also like it for sound design.

My goto for deep sound design is Fathom. I really like the interface and the play ground is quite large. I can literally get lost for days.....That doesnt make it unproductive. When I am in the mood for SD, I design sounds I will goto later when I want inspiration. Sometimes we are in the mood for SD other times we need something quick or inspirational.

Synthmaster and SM one are my goto preset monsters, because it is easy to navigate and the presets are quite good.

One of these days I will buy Zebra and get lost for days with that one too.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Pigments is really fun for sound design. Given my limited time these days I mostly stick to presets.

For presets, I like the huge library in Logic’s Alchemy. I’ve tried playing with its ability to mix samples and synths but haven’t really gravitated to it.

For sound design, I’m now addicted to Meldaproduction’s Soundfactory. I find it incredibly versatile, and it’s easy to quickly come up with weird sounds. I find myself comparing it to Halion 6, and I think Soundfactory runs deeper.

I judge the capability of synths on their quality of presets before I buy, but many of them end as preset players. Sound design is now mainly done in the Grid with only a few exceptions... There are some I want to get into: Halion, Reaktor, Lion, VCV Rack, Pigments, Padshop etc. But if I have an idea its faster to do it in the Grid than first learn the others. But that might change any time...
Still with most I do some fiddeling and adjust their presets...
To get out of my habits I always look at the OSC and get into one synth for a month which helps even if I don't finish a track in the end...

right now i use falcon for both presets and sound design.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Falcon for presets - I have no idea what I’m doing (yet) with that synth
Avenger - both presets and sound design
Pigments - sound design - what a pleasure

Return to “Instruments”