Is FabFilter Pro-R really so "metallic"?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Most of the people praising Pro-R. I heard a lot of examples of good sounding usage of Pro-R. But for me, it's extremely metallic on highs. Now I'm drastically cutting highs literally EVERY time I use it, I don't need to do it so often with other reverb plugins.

Maybe it's just my lack of skills, but I want to know what are you thinking about Pro-R sound and how to live with their strange reverb algorithm (contextual tips & tricks, maybe?).

I don't try to start debates about which reverb plugin is better than Pro-R, I just need to know - is it normal for Pro-R being so metallic? Are these "toxic highs" bothering you?

Thank you!

I don't know that reverb, but maybe try the Abbey Road Reverb Trick of cutting highs (and lows) before you send to the reverb. You can Google for a variety of applications and frequences (I think around 600Hz for high pass and around 10kHz for low pass).

I own several other Fabfilter plugins, and wanted to love R, but I just didn't, so I didn't buy it. You've identified the main reason why. There are some other plugins out there by other companies that have a similar high end treatment. Yet, there's another that costs as little as $99 on sale that sounds far, far better to my ears than R - and it can have lots of brightness and sound good doing it. Maybe R is just... a bit out dated in terms of the algorithm. In need of being and R2.

personally i tend to send the full spectrum into the reverb then break off the ends of the reverb (HP and LP) out to the main so i get just mostly the mid range of the reverb to avoid mainly bass build up overall. but i don't have fixed positioning of filters... i leave that up to taste and the source being fed. cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

I use some fab-filter plugins regularly, but I disliked Pro-R from day one. I bought it based on the Fabfilter name and reputation, which was a mistake for sure. I kept expecting it to click with me, and it never did, so I sold it. So it goes.

I always found the sound to be synthetic-y and yes, metallic-ish on the highs.

Never really loved it. I agree, the high frequencies are not very loveable. And since I like my reverbs very clear, I never use it.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Have you tried simply cutting the decay time where you're hitting the resonance? Often, a cut in the decay time around the 2-3kHz region will cull things that seem to ring out too much.

idk. At first i didn't like it, but i eventually bought the FX bundle anyway during black friday because it was cheaper than to buy everything sans Pro-R.

It's not my favourite reverb, and i wouldn't have bought it on its own. However, since i do own it, I use it from time to time - mostly on VERY short ambience (space 0.1s to 0.3s).

It's a weird reverb tho - it can sound weird soloed on its own, or when prominent, but for some reason it's very easy to fit it into a mix when used sparsely, i think this is where the praise comes from.
It's just super easy to craft a certain sound with it, and its really hard to make it overwhelm a mix + it has a great post-EQ to go with. When used like that its short comings become less apparent and its strengths more. :)

Try treating the signal before it hits reverb (tame highs) and try experimenting with decay rates in the higher regions. Also highs these tend to sound better near Dark and Far regions as opposed to Bright / Close. (Which works better on shorter tails).

I rarely low-pass reverbs. I think it kills them too much. much prefer internal "dampening" algorithms of verbs, pre-send de-essers and gulffoss (maybe soothe), i think you can create a more shiny less muddy space like that.

No, it became one of the most used ones by me as it is sooo flexible. Pro-R really can be a beast especially in mastering. You have all the options to shape its sound. May also depend on the used algorithm: it continuosly morphs between them but you can still setup a small room with long decay (which then may sounds wrong because).

Great verb IMO!

Same here, FabFilter Pro-R is my central reverb that takes me where I want to go, except when I want to go crazy (which is when I use Zynaptiq Adaptiverb).

I like oranges, but recently it became very popular to eat bananas. I don't like how they taste, like a bubble gum, but I keep eating them because everyone eat bananas nowadays.
Now seriously, it's about how the marketing and public opinion affects you, not about the reverb.

I almost always HP & LP filter my reverbs by putting an EQ after the reverb. Some reverbs have them built in like Toneboosters Reverb v4. I tend to use Valhalla verbs most of the time. I do have Fabfilter Pro-R but I can't say I used it a lot. Thanks to this thread I think I will give it more love and see what I can get from it.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

right... i demo'd and wasn't impressed for the most part with the tails but i am thinking about upgrading to the suite on my ipad so i may give it a whirl again there. i DID think it was not hateful for smaller spaces and i did like the built in EQ for tweaking it. cheers

p.s. but i am in the belief that you shouldn't 'hear' a reverb unless you are using it for an 'effect'. my rule of thumb is you shouldn't really hear a space but you notice when it is turned off lol. mix in till you can just hear it then back it off a tad.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

roman.i wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:59 am I like oranges, but recently it became very popular to eat bananas. I don't like how they taste, like a bubble gum, but I keep eating them because everyone eat bananas nowadays.
Now seriously, it's about how the marketing and public opinion affects you, not about the reverb.
Got your point. But there is no problem for me - to use any other reverb. In this case, the question more about the blind holes in my skill. Are those who happy using Pro-R do the same as I am - drastically cut the highs or they're happy living with these toxic resonances in context of the full mix. Or what?) That's the question.

Return to “Effects”