The mysterious mysteries of Adat and me...

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello folks!

First time poster, been looking through the interweb and my head is about to explode ( doesn't take much lately being infected by covid-19 )

I have an RME BabyFace Pro, I will be buying an ADAT soon ( that will be question 2 )
I have 4 synths, 6 effects pedals ( H9 and the sort ). I use FLstudio and Reaper to record.

My question is this. How can I send the output of a softsynt such as Uh-E Diva, towards the Eventide H9 and then record that back in the DAW. I'm guessing the solution is Adat, but i have no idea..

Help ? :D

Merci!
huh?

Duhduh wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:22 am I will be buying an ADAT soon
Sorry to say, but you cannot buy "an ADAT". It's just a data transfer protocol to send up to 8 channels of audio over fibreglass.

Duhduh wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:22 am How can I send the output of a softsynt such as Uh-E Diva, towards the Eventide H9 and then record that back in the DAW.
Exactly as you put it: send the audio out of the interface, through the effect box and back in to the interface while your DAW records it onto another track.

Your RME Babyface has multiple outputs. One stereo pair is already in use for your monitors. You should be able to direct a track in your DAW to the other output pair.

So you don't need to use ADAT. The inputs & outputs you currently have will do just fine.

Maybe the real question is: what buttons to press in the DAW to make it happen. So: what DAW do you use?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Hey :D

Yes, you are correct for the first point... I ment, i want to buy an external audio interface with adat i/o so i can connect all my synths in and most used pedals.

As for the wich buttons, For FLstudio, i believe i select the output at the bottom of the mixer.
For Reaper, i'll look it up in the help me file.

But, just to re-iterate. It is possible to select Adat out for a softsynth, to an hardware effect and then back in to record ( do i make it more complicated then it's supposed to be??? :( )
huh?

Yes. If you expand the RME BabyFace with eg a Behringer ADA8200, I guess the extra 8 channels will be numbered 5-12 on the RME.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Sweet! Thank you BertKoor :D
huh?

I would highly recommend hooking this stuff via a patchbay so that

a) you can create alternative routings quickly (e.g. synth -> H9 -> another synth's aux in -> DAW)

b) you can connect more gear than you have inputs

For example, you have Synth A outs 1-2 normed to DAW inputs 1-2 and Synth B outs 1-2 normed to DAW inputs 3-4. Synth A also has aux outputs 3-4 that you don't use very often; these go to spare patchbay outputs.

When you have a sweet multi patch going on Synth A and want to record the parts simultaneously, you just grab two patch cables and patch Synth A outs 3-4 to your DAW inputs 3-4, replacing Synth B.

nice, i have a patchbay at the moment, but hadn't thought of doing it this way. Thank you!
huh?

Return to “Production Techniques”