Anybody who does bells?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I was wondering if there's anyone who may specialize in high frequency synth bells?

Like pin drops.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

KivaDour

you need to be more specific, what exactly do you want?

which synth/s?

In general, FM would make it easy, but don't forget the bouncing and ambience. If you're thinking of cinematic pin drop sound effects, it hits a surface multiple times. But the timing is based on physics, shortening each bounce. Also, putting it in an appropriate space will make it sound more convincing.

I you own Reaktor or know someone who owns it, you may have a look at the "SteamPipe" Ensembles. They are using physical modelling to create sounds of this sort.

FM or physical modeling would be good for this, also Chromaphone 2 specializes in bells.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Pitch envelope, ring mod

FM synthesis is best. Experiment with ratios
Last edited by numbetical on Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you all.

I was thinking more of a go-to collection of perhaps 3-4 higher octave samples or a plug-in.

(So like 24 to 32 uber quality pins)

I'm not talking average sample quality out there that is mostly geared to lo-fi with perhaps pink, white etc. noise colored throughout a massively layerd mix.

Like a quality source sample of its own.

They are excellent psychologic distractions that when placed right shouldn't be anything conscious but unconscious.

My earliest recollection was a repeated pin in 'material girl' by Madonna.

Another time Timbaland masterfully placed it one of his songs.

Maybe someone knows the title.

Anyway thankyou and apparently this recent post of mine was put in the wrong subforum here:
----------------------------------------

"Hi,

Does anyone know of a proprietor out there that specializes in making a plug-in just for bells?

Sort of like a group with a "bells-R-us" reputation.

I'm looking for bells that don't lose their integrity when used in the C7 -C10 octave range.
Or vice versa I guess.
I haven't thought of a use for an infrasound-like bell.

I'd like a pro ADSR for this bell design.

Its sort of like trapping the overtones of particular hammer strikes on a particular anvil.

The bells should have a pronounced attack to let a, for instance C8, know you're there.

Without enhancing the volume.

Quality.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Kiva Dour

P.S. Though I love tubular bells they neither exceed C7 in Logic Pro X nor keep a consistent pitch when pushed to their limits."

Drop Simon Stockhausen a message (he posts here at KVR as Sampleconstruct).
Excellent sound designer, made many cool bell patches etc for different synths.
Friendly bloke.

You also might want to hit up Quasimodo...

He does bells :)
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:35 am You also might want to hit up Quasimodo...

Ha ha

dark water wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:04 am Drop Simon Stockhausen a message (he posts here at KVR as Sampleconstruct).
Excellent sound designer, made many cool bell patches etc for different synths.
Friendly bloke.
Folks at Apple Logic Pro recommended him a couple of months back.

I had a couple of Alchemy synth questions for them.

Thanks.

-kiva

kivadour wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:47 am repeated pin in 'material girl' by Madonna.
Like A Virgin liner notes lists a Juno-60 and a Synclavier II on Material Girl. I'm betting on the Synclavier. So you could do the same with Dexed. Load/make a bell and play it on a higher octave. From the factory DX7 cart 1, look at TUB BELLS and reduce the envelope and work from there.

On bells,

In general bells tend to have a sparse spectrum. Often just a handfull higher level amplitude frequencies. This is why subtractive synthesis (filtering) is often not the way to go.

AM and FM are much better candidates to generate/modulate these sparse spectrums, since they both generate sum- and difference frequencies (sidebands), at specific spots, potentially all over the spectrum. Using sines or at least just a few harmonics as carrier and modulator, this will soon give you bell like spectrums.

Another great option is additive (or spectral) synthesis.

Some implementations of "additive" synthesis:
  • Just specifying a "static" spectrum to act more or less like a subtractive synths "oscillator" (e.g. free FathomSynth, Oatmeal, ZynAddSubFX and others). You could also use or generate samples/wavetables for this.
  • Controlling/modulating amplitude of individual harmonics (e.g. Kawai K5/K5000, MSoundFactory)
  • Do all kinds of manipulations on the harmonics level (e.g. Loom)
Like many emulations of "real world" instruments/sounds, there is also the challenge of the "attack", differing from the sustain. In this case, the "strike" segment of a bell sound.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_tone

Access to individual harmonics will help solve for this too. Though "simple" transitions using multiple "samples" or wavetables may help here too....

Ogun from Image Line has some nice metallic features.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:35 am You also might want to hit up Quasimodo...

He does bells?

I’ll bet someone tolled him off...

Return to “Sound Design”