Is there an unusual sound design technique you would like to share?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe not that unusual but sending pads on return track with trancegate and autopan which something i love to do. I would like to know if theres something new and bizarre i could learn.

Hmmm, doubt anything i do is new and bizarre any more. How about using a sample of raindrops to sidechain a gate with a pad running through. Not new but fun.
Looking forward to more posts in this thread.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Take field recordings, loop them and then process the shit out of them until they sound nothing like the original sound.

If you can get access..... Place a piezo electric pickup on a bowling alley lane floor somewhere in the middle. Record a ball rolling at different speed. Mutate to taste.

Poor man version. Use a an old buzz speaker from some broken device. Connect some wires to it. Use it as a mic. Tape it to a table and roll different objects around o the table. Record the result. Mutate to taste.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Back in the day, I shoved a bit of sponge (not cake!) under the strings of my Les Paul, wrapped more of said sponge around a couple of old toothbrushes and hammered the strings. Pushed through a flanger and a long delay it sounded quite ethereal.

Granulator one love. There are so many ways inside to make it sound really dope.

Richard Andrew wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:59 am Granulator one love. There are so many ways inside to make it sound really dope.
Detail one?

Try to crack your lfos working at insane bpm and see if anything good happens. Most of the times it doesn’t.

Not exactly new, but: to create rhythmic patterns i connected a cheap Guitar eq pedal, that produces a lot of noise when pushing the faders, to a Wah Wah And a delay pedal.
I also plugged in a cable in to the pedal and just touched the cable to Produce noise (the Tone generated was an „E“

In ableton live: Extract melodies or rhythmic content From Field recordings old vinyls etc. via Audio to MIDI.
Last edited by Septimon on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Run percussion through Ableton Corpus (or another physical-modelling resonator) to produce bass. Works well with tube resonator.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Play aggressively with knobs and record everything (then put on that audio editing hat and find the gems).

Definitely could be taking out of context there, but yeah... that works.

Googly Smythe wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:23 pm
Richard Andrew wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:59 am Granulator one love. There are so many ways inside to make it sound really dope.
Detail one?
I use M4L Granulator 2, usually tweak Spray knob to 200ms and Grain to 3-4 Hz, works very good with any samples, gives this Flume, Quiet Bison kind of sound.

Convolution using foley samples, musical instruments, etc. as the impulse response instead of a real impulse response.

Static Frequency Shifter around 1200 Hz with 1,2,3 % Mix and you'll get well known SR-Reduction Artifacts to wrap Drums, Bass, even Pads.

Off-Label uses of FX are a very interesting Topic in general, as well as layering Dust/Noise/Air.

And don't underestimate Band Splitters.

The famous reverse reverb effect is only one possibility within the huge [any reversible transformation][any effect] space.

Return to “Sound Design”