Arturia Keystep Pro

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DrGonzo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:08 pm I'm really looking forward to this one.
Same here. I already have a unit pre-ordered.

How are you planning to use the Keystep Pro? I'm not of a modular guy so I will probably just use it with MIDI.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Live sequencing drums, loops, synths in Ableton and on iPad through USB and when I buy a Virus again, Midi din. Furthermore I just started having fun with Ebosuite, a fantastic video chopping triggering playground in Ableton and I can trigger sliced video now to the beat and even play it on the keyboard like an instrument :) KSP doesn’t have keyboard split but one track will be Omnisphere that makes me able to split and stack sounds

One more week. I hope the current situation won't delay it. Can't wait for this one to drop. I'm even thinking about getting two :lol: :dog:

/C
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

chaosWyrM wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:59 pm sorry....im pretty sick and on a ton of cold meds, so i may not be tracking too well.

are you saying you think 399 is too much for the keystep pro? if that is what youre saying...i kind of agree with you insofar as what can be had in that price range...which was precisely why i was asking about why would someone get the ksp over something like the sl mkiii, which is almost the same price and seems to have a shitload extra features.
I know this is a pretty old post but I own the SLMKIII and frankly if sequencing is what you are after feature wise the Keystep Pro is just better. The SL MKII. has a lot of cool features for sure, but the KSP seems to be better thought out for live performance. The drum mode is imo a huge feature if you are sequencing any kind of external drum machines. That said if you already have an SLMKIII, it doesn't hurt to just get a Beatstep Pro to complement it.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:49 pm
chaosWyrM wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:59 pm sorry....im pretty sick and on a ton of cold meds, so i may not be tracking too well.

are you saying you think 399 is too much for the keystep pro? if that is what youre saying...i kind of agree with you insofar as what can be had in that price range...which was precisely why i was asking about why would someone get the ksp over something like the sl mkiii, which is almost the same price and seems to have a shitload extra features.
I know this is a pretty old post but I own the SLMKIII and frankly if sequencing is what you are after feature wise the Keystep Pro is just better. The SL MKII. has a lot of cool features for sure, but the KSP seems to be better thought out for live performance. The drum mode is imo a huge feature if you are sequencing any kind of external drum machines. That said if you already have an SLMKIII, it doesn't hurt to just get a Beatstep Pro to complement it.
hehe its ok...what else do we have to do?

so my initial response in this thread was:
"im not being cute here this is a real question...

what is the advantage of this over the novation sl mkiii?

seems that for around the same price the novation has 2x the sequencer tracks and a ton more control features...no?"
and still all this time later no one has actually answered that question. even you....
...if sequencing is what you are after feature wise the Keystep Pro is just better.
how? how is half the sequencer tracks "just better"? i havent seen anything anywhere to suggest the ksp sequencer is better than the mk3. now, im not saying it isnt...im just saying no one has said why.

but, really it doesnt matter...tthe current prices seem reasonable to me at 399 for the ksp vs 599 (initially listed at 499, hence my original statement) for the mk3. 200 bucks isnt "a lot"...but its also nothing to sneeze at, and a 50% increase in price sounds about right for a 100% increase in sequencer tracks.

not that any of this matters to me. i have had an sl mk2 for years and am quite happy with it, if i need a hardware sequencer i have a deluge, which is a few orders of magnitude better than either of these devices for sequencing.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:12 pmif i need a hardware sequencer i have a deluge, which is a few orders of magnitude better than either of these devices for sequencing.
If you don't mind, I would really like to hear you talk more about how you use the Deluge for sequencing. I bought one and absolutely never gelled with it.

/C

DrGonzo wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:19 pm
chaosWyrM wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:12 pmif i need a hardware sequencer i have a deluge, which is a few orders of magnitude better than either of these devices for sequencing.
If you don't mind, I would really like to hear you talk more about how you use the Deluge for sequencing. I bought one and absolutely never gelled with it.

/C
sure. i got the deluge mainly for its sequencing capabilities...in fact i hardly ever use it for its synth...which is not to say theres anything wrong with it, in fact i feel its a very capable synthesizer/sampler/looper, i just have other things i go to first. i think a bit of context is needed though, i mainly got the deluge because at the time, i was looking for a hardware sequencer to use outside of my daw. thats not to say i wasnt using it WITH my daw because i was, but i wanted an easier, more hands on way to interact with it. i also wanted it to use it in conjunction with my hardware synths (5 of them NOT counting the deluge itself) AND to use it with both my hw and software at the same time.

i had been looking at the keytstep, and the digitakt, and mostly the squarp pyramid...in fact i was on the verge of buying a pyramid when i first learned of the deluge. as soon as i saw it i knew it was what i was looking for. i really really like the straight forward grid style sequencing...its so simple and quick to use.

now i dont think ive actually said how i use it...which was the question....so, i mainly use it as a live performance instrument, to launch and control synths and even other sequencers. i can control faders and knobs for mixing and parameters with the novation (it has assloads of knobs/sliders), and i can start/stop/manipulate sequences with the deluge. the deluge isnt my favorite sequencer, not by a long shot, that distinction right now goes to hy-seqcollection 2. i rarely use the deluge as a direct sequencer for my instruments (i do, but not that often, its a simple sequence...then sure) ....but i def find the layout and functionality of the deluges sequencer to be perfect for me to control the rest of my set up with...which was the original intent anyway.

TLDR: basically im using it like a push or launchpad.
ImageImageImage

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you work with the Deluge. I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm just saying that I like other things better.

I never tried the new Novation SL mk3 but honestly I have a mixed feeling about it. It seems to me all users are liking it up to a certain point.

What I am very intrigued about regarding the KSP is its immediacy. No crazy amount of settings or creating profiles etc, just record and go. I have a very good feeling about it, and that includes that Arturias v1 releases usually are a bit wonky.

/C

My KeyStep Pro was shipped yesterday. I look forward to exploring its possibilities, but I do not plan to open the package until I read feedback about the product's quality and software stability.

If the product is buggy, I will return it, and wait for the kinks to be worked out.

One of the biggest reason I bought the Pro 3 was for it's sequencer, totally bad ass modern hardware sequencing. Parameter sequencing, ratcheting and all kinds of stuff...

Man... this thing takes a long long time to get into my hands. My local shop keeps pushing the dates every week. Anyone who got their hands on one?

/Carl

Seems to have only 2 MIDI outputs.

I'd like to have the 4 sequencers each sequence 1 synth at least.
Currently I'm using a MIDI interface to rout my plain old Keystep, and all my synths are listening on channel 1. Works fine, but I only get the single sequence.

I had been hoping the Pro would have a MIDI output per sequencer, now I think I'd have to use separate MIDI channels per synth.
Do I get that right?

Has anyone received theirs yet?
Take care :wink:

consordini wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 pm Has anyone received theirs yet?
No, and by the time they ship it Arturia might already have a MKII version out :x

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”